• We've made some major changes! Be sure to read this thread in order to get everything moved over.

Orange & Blue Board Insider: Observations from Saturday's practice

Mark Wheeler

Publisher
Staff member
Premium Member
Apr 26, 2023
Gainesville
insidethegators.com
First and foremost, we have to caution against overreacting to a first week, open practice, held in shells. We got to see more than we do during the 15-minute weekday portions of practice that are open to the media. However, they didn't show us much (and understandably so). While there were a couple of collisions, they weren't tackling through to the ground, the quarterbacks couldn't be touched, etc...

Having said that, I'm going to overreact. Either Florida has one of the best defensive lines in the nation, or Florida has one of the worst offensive lines in the nation. The defensive line dominated from pass rush drills to 11-on-11. And don't even get me started on the second-team offensive line. There are still a couple of weeks of camp remaining, but I don't know if there is a player on the second unit that the coaches would feel comfortable playing in the opener against Utah (who legitimately have a top-tier defensive line).

While we may not exactly know how the defensive line is going to perform against a legitimate offensive line, I believe the outlier is Cam'Rom Jackson. What a huge - literally and figuratively - addition to the defense. In our Indepth Spring Review, our Insider, who attended multiple practices, stated that Jackson was better than Gervon Dexter. I am beginning to believe that wasn't hyperbole. Jackson is a load to handle in the run game, but can also get penetration as a pass rusher.

As always, the injury report belongs somewhere near the top of the board. As has been the case each day this week, tight end Jonathan Odom and offensive guard Micah Mazzccua were still in black non-contact jerseys. In Mazzccua's case, it was more like a light contact jersey because he took part in some drills where he was doing battle with defensive linemen.

The others...

Shemar James: As Billy Napier stated earlier this week, he is out with a lower body injury. I didn't see him at all on Friday or Saturday.

Ricky Pearsall: I'm not sure what the issue is here. He's been practicing this week, but wasn't out there on Saturday.

Keon Zipperer: He was already sidelined, but then a couple of days ago I saw on his Instagram what looked to be him going under another procedure. He was on the sideline with a lone cane to support his weight.

Lyndell Hudson II: He hasn't taken part in any practices this week as he recovers from a car accident.

Devin Moore: I observed in Thursday's practice observations that Jalen Kimber had moved up to No. 2 in the rotation behind Jason Marshall Jr. However, what I didn't notice is that perhaps Devin Moore wasn't out there that day or was maybe limited. Moore also wasn't out there today.

Brian Green Jr.: The walk-on receiver has been in the Pit for every practice this week.

Andre Morris: I am going to assume the walk-on defensive linmean is being sidelined has to do with his lowerbody since he was going through warm-ups, but didn't take part in any of the lower body stretches.

Through the first 2/3 of what was a pass-heavy practice, I thought that the offense (keep in mind Pearsall was out and Mazzccua was limited) looked slightly below average. Then when they went to 11-on-11 drills, Graham Mertz and Max Brown came to life a bit. Also, keep in mind, on a lot of plays they let the offense play through what might have otherwise been considered a sack, but Mertz and Brown looked particularly hitting receivers while rolling out. Regardless of whether the staff is ready to say it, Mertz is the clear No. 1. That isn't because he looked incredible from start to finish, but he did look better than Brown and much better than Jack Miller. None of them was consistent throwing the ball over 20 yards.

While Andy Jean received all the hype over the spring, Aidan Mizell might be the freshman receiver who makes the biggest impact. He had the play of the practice on a one-handed grab, that was thrown behind him, that he was able to come down with. He had a couple of other big catches as well.

You can't mention big days by a freshman without talking about Arlis Bordingham. It's only been a week, and again, we don't to overreact to a couple of pratices, but Bordingham was the best of the tight ends in the passing game. When he was out there, Jonathan Odom flashed some as well. I can remember one pass to Dante Zanders, and I don't believe he caught it.

I honestly couldn't tell you a thing about Jason Marshall Jr. today. If he was out there a lot, the quarterbacks didn't challenge him. They did challenge Dijon Johnson, and he made a couple of nice plays, including a near interception at the goalline (but I don't think he came down inbounds - and there's no replay). Jalen Kimber also had a solid day out there.

This and That: We can't leave off Marcus Burke. He had a couple of big catches. ... During 1-on-1 pass rushing drills, freshman Knijeah Harris was eaten alive by Cam'Ron Jackson, but then came back and had a stalemate with Caleb Banks (a stalemate in pass-rushing drills is a win for the offensive lineman) ... The hit of the day came from Teradja Mitchell, who looked a lot like Ventrell Miller in laying the boom on Montrell Johnson. ...