• We've made some major changes! Be sure to read this thread in order to get everything moved over.

🏈 Football Practice Insider 3/30/24 Scrimmage Observations

Mark Wheeler

Publisher
Staff member
Premium Member
Apr 26, 2023
Gainesville
insidethegators.com
The scrimmage should be ending shortly. I'll be posting reports as I receive them today.

Here is the first batch:

As we tweeted out before, early in the scrimmage Devon Moore had an interception of DJ Lagway.

Graham Mertz was picked off by (they think) Josiah Davis.

Treyaun Webb had a touchdown run called back because of a holding penalty.

Montrell Johnson had a short, physical touchdown run.

Defensive lineman Tyreik Norwood intercepted Clay Millen, but then fumbled the ball.

As we posted in our practice observations earlier, the left side of the line looks locked in with Brandon Crenshaw-Dickson is holding down the starting right tackle spot and Damieon George at starting right guard. That is how they opened the scrimmage today, along with Jake Slaughter at center, Knijeah Harris at starting left guard and Devon Manuel at right tackle.

KD Daniels took a two yard pass in for a 20 yard touchdown.

Chimere Dike had what looked like a 40 or 50 yard touchdown catch from Graham Mertz.

From the Swamp

Premium Member
May 9, 2023
I'll be honest I hate reading good things about Moore. We get our hopes up and then he is out half the year with a paper cut or chapped lips.

Maybe our running backs will be a strength even without Etienne.

Mark Wheeler

Publisher
Staff member
Premium Member
Apr 26, 2023
Gainesville
insidethegators.com
Our second round of scrimmage observations:

Out of the quarterbacks, Graham Mertz looked great and it was definitely clear he was in charge of the offense and the game as a whole. He had some big passes to Dike and Spierto from the receivers, and out of the backfield to Montrell Johnson and Treyaun Webb

DJ Lagway is still trying to find his rhythm in throwing the ball. He had a lot more rushes than the other quarterbacks combined. Anytime he had an open field he took off even if he didn't need to. He had a couple of 15-yard plus runs.

It's hard to tell who the starters are because they were putting in so many combinations but it looked like the starting receivers are Chimere Dike, Kahleil Jackson, and Tre Wilson. Taylor Spierto played a lot too.

#21 (DK Daniels) had some big plays and looked like the most physical back. Even more than Montrell Johnson.

Transfers who played some with the starters were Chimere Dike, George Gumbs, Joey Slackman, and DJ Douglass. They all look like they are going to be with the 1s.

For true freshmen, none of them went out first with the starters, but they mixed in and looked like they are on the brink. They are Tank Hawkins, Jameer Grimsley, and Fletcher Westphal.

On defense today Devin Moore and Dijon Johnson looked very good. Cam Jackson was a problem. Derek Wingo was a standout. (Note: These are tidbits I am given, I'm not there watching myself, I'm running them as I get them. Wingo has been in a black non contact jersey so far this spring.)

Mark Wheeler

Publisher
Staff member
Premium Member
Apr 26, 2023
Gainesville
insidethegators.com
Our third set of Insider Scrimmage Tidbits:

Graham Mertz was commanding the field today. He was dropping dimes and making great reads.

The offensive line pass blocking looked as good as I've seen in years. They really have a spark or swag to them.

There were a few interceptions today, but mostly off of tipped balls. I only saw one interception off a bad read and bad throw.

I only saw three penalty flags get thrown on the offensive line today. One did cost them an offensive touchdown, but at least it was In practice.

Defensive lineman Cam Jackson is a hoss (the second person to single out Jackson today). He is a real nightmare to block. He was moving people and taking on double teams like a machine.

Punter Jeremy Crawshaw is a game changer. I don't think I've ever seen a punter that good. He can flip field position on you at every kick. Two of his kicks today were 68 and one looked like it went 74 yards.

The field goal kicker (Trey Smack?) was 0-2 on field goals. He did make the extra points, but not the field goals.

They rotated so much today I really don't know who some of the starters on offense were.

To me the whole defense looked outstanding. The tackling was the best it has been in at least five years. Really looked like a whole new team the way they got to the ball quick and tackled perfectly. I think I only saw two missed tackles all day and that's because Tre Wilson just cut on a dime and left the guy wondering where he went so fast.

Reactions: Termigator

BD489

Premium Member
May 8, 2023
In the spring we always look good. I’m not getting my hopes up for this season like I have the last 2. My expectations were too high and it lead to frustration. At this point Napier needs to be no worse than 6-1 after the first 7 and win 2 of the last 5. It’s time to show he can develop talent and coach on game day. The fact in year 3 winning 8 would be considered a victory is painful.