• We've made some major changes! Be sure to read this thread in order to get everything moved over.

🏈 Football Practice Insider 3/23/24 Spring Practice Observations

Mark Wheeler

Publisher
Staff member
Premium Member
Apr 26, 2023
Gainesville
insidethegators.com
What I saw during my once around the practice field during Saturday's media session.

There are varying degrees of the non-contact jersey. Jason Marshall Jr., Gavin Hill, and Andy Jean were out, out. They were on the sidelines, and not with their position group during the period.

Austin Barber was with his position group, but I didn't see him take part in any actual drills. The same with Myles Graham (who was with top target Nathaniel Owusu-Boateng during practice).

Shemar James, Derek Wingo, Jordan Castell and Justus Boone were taking part in drills, but when the OL/DL went to pass rush drills (full contact), Boone headed inside to the IPF.

With Austin Barber sidelined, how the left side of the line stacks up is in a bit of flux at this time, but through two weeks of spring ball it appears that Brandon Crenshaw-Dickson is holding down the starting right tackle spot and Damieon George is the starting right guard.

Former Florida defensive tackle, and current local high school coach, Ian Scott was out at practice.

While watching receiver drills, Joseph said that Eugene Wilson and Aidan Mizell were the first two receivers at the front of the line.

What stuck me about freshman receiver Tank Hawkins is how shifty he is coming off the line. Defensive backs are going to have a hard time getting their hands on him to jam him.

Lining up for pass rush drills, freshman Mike Williams was at right tackle, while fellow freshman Noel Portnjagin was at right guard.

After a drill, true freshman defensive tackle Michai Boireau received praise from Gerald Chatman, who then finished it up with, 'Young dawg getting better."

Though Kelby Collins is listed as an Edge on the roster, he practices with the defensive tackle group. During the defensive tackle drills rotation, he and Joey Slackman were the first two to take reps.

For the linebackers, despite being in non-contact jerseys, Shemar James and Derek Wingo took the first reps, followed up by RJ Moten and Grayson Howard. Deuce Spurlock and Mannie Nunnery went third.

We'll see what happens come scrimmage time (the first one is next Saturday), but from last seeing them last year until seeing them these last two weeks, a player who looks like he has made a decent-sized jump is cornerback Ja'Keem Jackson. While he had the length and physical ability last season, as a true freshman, he obviously lacked experience. He looks much better in 1-on-1s this spring.