• We've made some major changes! Be sure to read this thread in order to get everything moved over.

Proposal to do away with football walk-ons

Mark Wheeler

Publisher
Staff member
Premium Member
Apr 26, 2023
Gainesville
insidethegators.com
This is interesting and would throw a wrench in the works for Florida since Napier has made an outsized effort in building the Gators' walk-on program.

GatorDMD

Premium Member
May 9, 2023
This is what makes me think that Napier is behind the times.

What he does might have been great ten years ago but it doesn't work now.

Termigator

May 8, 2023
I don't believe Napier has any more walk-ons than any other of the major players in Power Five schools. I say this by observing other schools number of dressed players that I have seen at away Gator games, UGA games, etc. What I do suspect will happen is that the NCAA will start limiting rosters like the NFL does. In other words all schools will have X number of scholarship players and a set number of players (walk-ons) as does the NFL with practice squads with reduced salaries. Lets be real, if players want to organize and have a piece of the pie (which I am ok with), then College rosters need to be equitable just like the NFL for fairness in competition and costs. If they want to be paid, then they need to be employees, with all of the benefits AND consequences of adults. One thing for sure, the genie is out of the box and is not ever going back in. It's a new world we are in. Enjoy the ride.