• We've made some major changes! Be sure to read this thread in order to get everything moved over.

Orange & Blue Board Insider: Observations from Wednesday's practice

Cam Parker

Premium Member
May 4, 2023
There isn't much to update on if I'm being honest.

Black Jerseys:
WR Eugene Wilson and WR Thai Bowman participated in blocking drills but did not participate in route running. OL Micah Mazzccua only did on-air drills. TE Jonathan Odom participated in every non-contact drill.

WR Brian Green Jr. did not participate in drills.

I did not notice anyone on defense in black jerseys (couldn't see the linebackers from where I was). But the fact the there are no DBs in black jerseys is a huge improvement from spring.

Observations:
Caleb Douglas received a ton of praise for blocking, route running, speed and hands. If he keeps it up, he'll be a starter. If the rotations were any indication, he and Pearsall are the top-two guys.

Speaking of rotations, the WRs seem to be in three groups (two outside, one inside). Douglas led one outside group with Pearsall leading the other. Pearsall also did double duty as he led the inside receivers group as well (would like to see how this "rotation" shakes up with Wilson full go).

Didn't see any bad throws, but I'd like to point out that Max Brown had some nice zips on throws today. Could be a sleeper in the QB situation should things struggle.

Defensively, there wasn't much to report, but seeing Aaron Gates on the field after missing spring excites me. Nice fluidity and motion but obviously a lot to catch up on. DB rotation was Jason Marshall Jr. and Ja'Keem Jackson followed by Devin Moore and Jalen Kimber.

Will be another open practice on Friday midday.

Reactions: crfcom

Cam Parker

Premium Member
May 4, 2023
Forgot to add this too: former UF WR Willie Jackson Jr. was in attendance for today's practice. He's the father of current WR Kahleil Jackson and son of UF legend Willie Jackson Sr.

Just became the HC at nearby PK Yonge. With the current staff's preference to go after local recruits for walk-on roles, and if Jackson Jr. can turn around the Blue Wave program, I wouldn't be surprised in the least bit to see some PK Yonge kids sign PWO offers with the Gators.

crfcom

Premium Member
May 10, 2023
At WR Pearsall and Douglas are quick but don't have elite speed. The first time Utah's defense sees Andy Jean and Mizell running routes the immediate confusion would be fun to watch. Throw Wilson out there in the slot and it would be full blown panic. On the second play I'd stick with Jean, Mizell, and Wilson, then call a pass to Etienne out of the backfield. Heart attacks and broken ankles everywhere.

Reactions: Termigator

Termigator

May 8, 2023
At WR Pearsall and Douglas are quick but don't have elite speed. The first time Utah's defense sees Andy Jean and Mizell running routes the immediate confusion would be fun to watch. Throw Wilson out there in the slot and it would be full blown panic. On the second play I'd stick with Jean, Mizell, and Wilson, then call a pass to Etienne out of the backfield. Heart attacks and broken ankles everywhere.
Something about Pearsall reminds me of Travis McGriff; not elite speed but routinely gets open deep. If they can get at least some production this year from Jean and Mizell running deep routes, the intermediate passing game will be something to behold.

Reactions: crfcom

crfcom

Premium Member
May 10, 2023
Something about Pearsall reminds me of Travis McGriff; not elite speed but routinely gets open deep. If they can get at least some production this year from Jean and Mizell running deep routes, the intermediate passing game will be something to behold.
Oh yeah, his routes are perfection and he doesn't drop passes. He also doesn't mind fighting for the ball. He actually lost a few pounds this off-season and gained a little muscle-mass, so he's serious about improving his NFL stock. I in his corner. He carried the receiver room last season.