• We've made some major changes! Be sure to read this thread in order to get everything moved over.

Orange & Blue Board Insider: Observations from Monday's practice

Mark Wheeler

Publisher
Staff member
Premium Member
Apr 26, 2023
Gainesville
insidethegators.com
From our 15-minute observation period:

The Edge defensive ends were of course led by Princely Umanmeilen with Jack Pyburn second, walk-on Bryce Capers third, followed by TJ Searcy.

The F position was led by Justus Boone along with Kolby Collins, Kamran James and walk-on Layne Swafford.

If the rotation during drills means anything, the order at cornerback was Jason Marshall Jr going first and then Devin Moore, Ja'Keem Jackson, and then Jalen Kimber rounded out the top four.

While Corey Raymond was working with the cornerbacks, support staff member CJ Wilford and defensive coordinator Austin Armstrong ran the safety drills.

During 'on air' drills, where two receivers are lined up on the outside per repetition, Ricky Pearsall and Caleb Douglas went first. As for the freshmen, Aidan Mizell went second behind Pearsall and Andy Jean was with the third rotation.

The first two quarterbacks up were of course Graham Mertz and Jack Miller. I didn't watch them the entire time, but the only bad throw I saw was Mertz throwing slightly behind Jackson Wade.

To be clear though, we get these specific 15 minutes of viewing time because nothing can really be learned during these drills. No one is winning or losing a job based on what they do 'on air' - so temper your expectations when you see the clips online.

I didn't do a complete roster rundown (there wasn't enough time and I ended up spending a good five minutes just observing DJ Lagway and Jeremiah Smith) but the only two non-contact jerseys I saw (other than the quarterbacks of course) were Micah Mazzccua and Jonathan Odom.

Though he was in a non contact black jersey, Mazzccua was still going with the first team offensive line, which was Austin Barber at left tackle, Mazzccua at left guard (no center during the sled drills), Richie Leonard at right guard and Damieon George Jr. at right tackle.

Reactions: crfcom