• We've made some major changes! Be sure to read this thread in order to get everything moved over.

Orange & Blue Board Insider: Observations from Friday's practice

Mark Wheeler

Publisher
Staff member
Premium Member
Apr 26, 2023
Gainesville
insidethegators.com
On Thursday Billy Napier said that linebacker Shemar James suffered a lower body injury and was going to be further evaluated. That seems to be playing out that way. I didn't see him out at practice today, not in the pit nor observing. We'll wait for further word on him.

Speaking of linebackers, Teradja Mitchell looks like a damn tank compared to everyone else at the position. He looks more solidly put together than Ventrell Miller if you can believe that.

Of the safeties, a sleeker-looking Kamari Wilson went out first in drills followed by Jadarrius Perkins, Miguel Mitchell and then RJ Moten.

At cornerback, on the first day of practice, Jalen Kimber was fourth in the rotation during drills. Today he was second.

Those who were in the Pit were both walk-ons. Defensive tackle Andre Morris and receiver Brian Green Jr.

There were NFL scouts out at today's practice. Not only is that a benefit for the players to be seen and evaluated, but it can work in the coach's advantage as well. We can't quote what we hear coaches say to players during the open portion, and for good reason. So, I will paraphrase, without giving the position, coach or player. When getting on a player for doing the drill wrong, the coach said, this is the fourth time I've had to explain this, do you know what the scouts are writing down about you? Uninterested and doesn't listen.

I've seen the debate on social media about Desmond Watson's weight. Yes, at the right angle, he does look a lot less than his listed weight, but that is because he carries a lot of his size in his backside - in his butt and hips. Even weighing what he does, he is moving around well for someone his size and though it is early in practices when we are out there, he isn't dragging ass out there. I remember seeing him at the UA Camp right before his senior season and two reps in, he was already winded. That doesn't seem to be the case now.

Earlier this week the coaches talked about Florida having seven or eight players on the interior fighting for playing time. One name who isn't normally mentioned is redshirt freshman Jamari Lyons, but he is coming on. He has put on weight the right way, and is now over 300-pounds, but moves well for that size. Also, he has put on some upper-body mass as well.

One player who won't be ready to challenge for time this season is true freshman Gavin Hill. As it should be, not only is there plenty of bodies ahead of him, but also, he doesn't have anywhere near the size of the other tackles. He almost looks like he should be with the strongside ends right now. This will be a year of learning the defense and living in the weight room before he starts to be seen more in the spring.