• We've made some major changes! Be sure to read this thread in order to get everything moved over.

My uninformed, or maybe even misinformed, thoughts on NIL

Mark Wheeler

Publisher
Staff member
Premium Member
Apr 26, 2023
Gainesville
insidethegators.com
If you are a member of the Gator Nation on Twitter (I will never refer to it as X) this week, its been nearly impossible to miss the most dominant topic of discussion - Florida's NIL struggles.

It's impossible to do in one tweet since I'm not a check mark verified user, so I'll share some thoughts on here.

I want to make it perfectly clear, I have no idea what is going on with Florida's NIL, or NIL nationally.

None.

Nada.

Zip.

No idea whatsoever.

This is my uninformed, or misinformed, opinion.

* First off, if you go back 3-to-4 years, I was of the mindset that players didn't need to be paid. They received a free education, medical, dental, food, training, coaching, etc... They were treated like kings in exchange for their football talent. To me, back then, that should have been enough. I started coming around to NIL when I thought it was, as originally portrayed, a chance for players to make money off of their name, image, and likeness. I thought they were receiving proceeds from jersey sales or selling their own merchandise. I believed it would be restricted to current college players, and not trickle down into recruiting. That, of course, hasn't been the case. This has turned into a straight pay-for-play model, an outright bidding war, with players being required to perform some nominal task to justify the payment. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of good to NIL as it is. Players being able to do things for themselves and their families. I've seen it firsthand, and that might be the lone positive to the current state of college football.

* No one knows what is going on with these collectives. How much each one has or how much money players are making. I don't believe all of the inflated numbers thrown around. The supposed $30 million Texas A&M paid for the Class of 2022 has been debunked multiple times, including by the players themselves. Some fans were saying that Princely Umanmielen was looking for $1 million a year. He laughed at that while saying that he is making basically the same at Ole Miss that he would have made at UF. He believes he would be better developed there. You have social media chatter that such and such a player is asking for or getting millions, but in their official report, the NCAA said that Georgia starting tackle Amarius Mims, a projected top 20 NFL Draft pick, was getting $15K a month or $180K a year. You're never going to convince me that there are all these players making all this money if an NFL caliber tackle is making under #200K a year. As a matter of fact, two years ago Ohio State coach Ryan Day told a gathering of Buckeye fans that it would cost around $13 million a year to field a championship-caliber roster. He would know. I do believe money plays a part, but it isn't always the driving factor. Look at Alabama. Do you think that the NIL money dried up in the last week? Of course not. Many, if not most, of those players went there to play for and to be developed by Nick Saban.

* It feels like Florida has seen their current window of opportunity open and close. When Billy Napier was first hired, added Corey Raymond and his staff, and signed Shemar James and Kamari Wilson on early signing day, excitement for UF football was at a four or five-year high. I was adding sub after sub. Napier was on a roll. I don't know those who ran the collective back then, but being honest, that was the time to capitalize on it and there were too many questions about them for that to happen. If UF had their NIL house in order at that time they likely would be much further along right now. Instead, that opportunity was wasted, and UF had to push the reset button coming off a losing season, and head into year two (where they had a O/U win total set at 5.5) with a new collective. It is a much harder sell for them. You have to convince fans to throw good money after bad. What has been accomplished with the money they've already brought in? Back-to-back losing seasons. There are probably only going to be two ways to turn this around. Napier has to have an unexpectedly good 2024 season (seven or more wins to show progress and get more buy-in) or there will need to be a coaching change in order to restore hope in the program. I don't see any other way for a reset for total fan buy-in.

* I have no freaking idea what UF pays players or what their obligations to the players are. Last month I asked our Anonymous Player in our Q&A, and he said that players aren't allowed to discuss it. My own feelings, without knowing what the deal is or how much they are paid, when you see these photos they send out from doing 'community service' or that the collective is sending out this week (which are very well done and a good idea for the most part), I feel like there are a good 10-15-20 players who the average fan is likely scratching their head and wondering why they are making anything at all. They haven't contributed yet, and likely wouldn't be a contributor on a winning SEC program. I know that it might be considered rough to say that, but they are paid professionals more than student-athletes at this point - and as such, much like with NFL players, their value is a talking point. If UF cut out 10-12 of them, could they then afford 1-2-3 higher-end players?

* Talking to bowl reps over the years, especially 5-10 years ago when there was real intrigue as to which bowls were legitimate possibilities to pick the Gators, while they loved UF for TV ratings, and the instate bowls loved UF for ticket sales since the games in Jacksonville, Tampa and Orlando were only a few hours drive away from 10s of thousands of Gators fans, they were also quick to let you know that outside of the state, UF was considered a poor draw because for as prestigious as the program was, fans didn't travel well. About a decade ago I had a bowl rep tell me that of the national programs, Florida and Southern Cal were considered two of the worst in bringing out-of-area fans to bowls, while programs such as Iowa, Nebraska, South Carolina, and Penn State were considered among the best. Look, Florida has an incredibly passionate fanbase. That is proven Saturday after Saturday in the Swamp. That passion results in an unbelievable experience and home-field advantage. However, perhaps the bowl reps were on to something. With so many other things to do, and do with their money, maybe NIL will never be a UF strong point.

* It likely won't matter for much longer. If you can hold on that long, 2-3 years down the road we'll most likely see a DI super division (48-65 programs) where the model is programs are paying the players themselves. That will bring more structure, but also more parity.

Reactions: BD489

drumlin

Aug 10, 2023
I think this is a well thought out with some well written statements on the NIL.
I just wanted to add a few things ...

* First off, if you go back 3-to-4 years, I was of the mindset that players didn't need to be paid. They received a free education, medical, dental, food, training, coaching, etc... They were treated like kings in exchange for their football talent. To me, back then, that should have been enough.
Excellent point, except I think you would have to go back probably 100 years to argue this(, or at least 40).
Schools started building stadiums, charging admission, signing huge TV deals, leaving traditional conference affiliations within regional boundaries for better TV deals.
I think it was the greed of the school administrators that ruined this model, and the players are still not being paid for their work.
I started coming around to NIL when I thought it was, as originally portrayed, a chance for players to make money off of their name, image, and likeness. I thought they were receiving proceeds from jersey sales or selling their own merchandise. I believed it would be restricted to current college players, and not trickle down into recruiting. That, of course, hasn't been the case. This has turned into a straight pay-for-play model, an outright bidding war, with players being required to perform some nominal task to justify the payment. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of good to NIL as it is. Players being able to do things for themselves and their families. I've seen it firsthand, and that might be the lone positive to the current state of college football.
All excellent points.

* No one knows what is going on with these collectives. How much each one has or how much money players are making. I don't believe all of the inflated numbers thrown around. The supposed $30 million Texas A&M paid for the Class of 2022 has been debunked multiple times, including by the players themselves.
Yes, I find this amusing myself.
I thought these entities were private, and thus the public was no more privy to to their finances than mine, for instance.
The only source of leaks that I could imagine would be players' agents, who would be the ones benefiting most from these leaks.
And I am guessing these agents are probably mostly unregulated and not necessarily trust-worthy.
I am guessing the Rashada fiasco was more the fault of a bad agent than anyone else.

Some fans were saying that Princely Umanmielen was looking for $1 million a year. He laughed at that while saying that he is making basically the same at Ole Miss that he would have made at UF. He believes he would be better developed there. You have social media chatter that such and such a player is asking for or getting millions, but in their official report, the NCAA said that Georgia starting tackle Amarius Mims, a projected top 20 NFL Draft pick, was getting $15K a month or $180K a year. You're never going to convince me that there are all these players making all this money if an NFL caliber tackle is making under #200K a year. As a matter of fact, two years ago Ohio State coach Ryan Day told a gathering of Buckeye fans that it would cost around $13 million a year to field a championship-caliber roster. He would know. I do believe money plays a part, but it isn't always the driving factor. Look at Alabama. Do you think that the NIL money dried up in the last week? Of course not. Many, if not most, of those players went there to play for and to be developed by Nick Saban.

* It feels like Florida has seen their current window of opportunity open and close. When Billy Napier was first hired, added Corey Raymond and his staff, and signed Shemar James and Kamari Wilson on early signing day, excitement for UF football was at a four or five-year high. I was added sub after sub. Napier was on a roll. I don't know those who ran the collective back then, but being honest, that was the time to capitalize on it and there were too many questions about them for that to happen. If UF had their NIL house in order at that time they likely would be much further along right now. Instead, that opportunity was wasted, and UF had to push the reset button coming off a losing season, and head into year two (where they had a O/U win total set at 5.5) with a new collective. It is a much harder sell for them. You have to convince fans to throw good money after bad. What has been accomplished with the money they've already brought in? Back-to-back losing seasons. There are probably only going to be two ways to turn this around. Napier has to have an unexpectedly good 2024 season (seven or more wins to show progress and get more buy-in) or there will need to be a coaching change in order to restore hope in the program. I don't see any other way for a reset for total fan buy-in.
But isn't this a general problem with this model?
I can image an average fan or booster would throw money when either you have a winning program (Georgia) or hope of a winning program (Ole MIss).
Even then, the typical up and down on a year-to-year basis for any given program will also result in up and down contributions to an NIL.
In my simple mind, I never saw how this would be sustainable long-term.
And with essentially no rules in the transfer portal, I imagine money will dry up very quickly in general.

* I have no freaking idea what UF pays players or what their obligations to the players are. Last month I asked our Anonymous Player in our Q&A, and he said that players aren't allowed to discuss it. My own feelings, without knowing what the deal is or how much they are paid, when you see these photos they send out from doing 'community service' or that the collective is sending out this week (which are very well done and a good idea for the most part), I feel like there are a good 10-15-20 players who the average fan is likely scratching their head and wondering why they are making anything at all. They haven't contributed yet, and likely wouldn't be a contributor on a winning SEC program. I know that it might be considered rough to say that, but they are paid professionals more than student-athletes at this point - and as such, much like with NFL players, their value is a talking point. If UF cut out 10-12 of them, could they then afford 1-2-3 higher-end players?
Again, in this case, I think you have to think long term.
Some of these "lower-end" players who are getting paid may have former teammates at high schools who they may be friends with and may be "higher-end" players.
I think it is beneficial in the long run to take care of everybody for the sake of future good relationships.

* Talking to bowl reps over the years, especially 5-10 years ago when there was real intrigue as to which bowls were legitimate possibilities to pick the Gators, while they loved UF for TV ratings, and the instate bowls loved UF for ticket sales since the games in Jacksonville, Tampa and Orlando were only a few hours drive away from 10s of thousands of Gators fans, they were also quick to let you know that outside of the state, UF was considered a poor draw because for as prestigious as the program was, fans didn't travel well. About a decade ago I had a bowl rep tell me that of the national programs, Florida and Southern Cal were considered two of the worst in bringing out-of-area fans to bowls, while programs such as Iowa, Nebraska, South Carolina, and Penn State were considered among the best. Look, Florida has an incredibly passionate fanbase. That is proven Saturday after Saturday in the Swamp. That passion results in an unbelievable experience and home-field advantage. However, perhaps the bowl reps were on to something. With so many other things to do, and do with their money, maybe NIL will never be a UF strong point.
Do you think location is a factor?
In other words, would someone living in Nebraska/Iowa experiencing snow drifts and below zero weather in December not want some sort of excuse to travel to a warm-weather destination?
Where would you have warmer weather in December than Florida/Southern California?
* It likely won't matter for much longer. If you can hold on that long, 2-3 years down the road we'll most likely see a DI super division (48-65 programs) where the model is programs are paying the players themselves. That will bring more structure, but also more parity.
I have been saying for a while that players unions are coming.
It is inevitable, like it or not.
Across campuses, graduate students are forming unions more and more.
And the excuse had been that it was part of their education, despite the fact they we required to work longer and longer hours.
There is too much money not going to athletes to ignore anymore.
And again, from my earlier point, all this will be the result of the greed of the school administrators.

Reactions: Mark Wheeler

Dan the Man

Premium Member
May 8, 2023
If they were more public about how much they take in and how much they are paying players fans might be more supportive.

I don't donate to the church without knowing where my money's going. Why would I give it to sports?

Reactions: Termigator

Mark Wheeler

Publisher
Staff member
Premium Member
Apr 26, 2023
Gainesville
insidethegators.com
To be clear, from my initial post, I'm not saying UF should cut 10-20 players. I was saying that the NIL Collective should (if possible) use that money for a couple of players who might make a difference.

Then again, I have no idea what their mission is. Maybe they want or have to provide each player with some sort of deal.

Who knows. It is all so secretive.

I do know, or at least think, it will be hard to get more of a buy-in until the tide turns and UF wins on the field or brings in a new coach.

BD489

Premium Member
May 8, 2023
I hope the NCAA gets it all under control but until they do we need donors to foot the bill.

He does need to keep his opinions to himself.

They need to tell him that he isn't helping.
If he’s donating a lot he can have his opinion like everyone else. And it’s Twitter, you have to follow him to read his thoughts.

GatorDMD

Premium Member
May 9, 2023
If he’s donating a lot he can have his opinion like everyone else. And it’s Twitter, you have to follow him to read his thoughts.
You don't have to follow someone to still see what they're tweeting.

If enough Florida fans are talking about it you'll see it.

Mark Wheeler

Publisher
Staff member
Premium Member
Apr 26, 2023
Gainesville
insidethegators.com
A major change at Florida's NIL partner.

Steve Spurrier's longtime business guru Freddie Wehbe joins in.

Reading this, and it's just an opinion, they are telling you how much it takes to be successful ($10-15 million a year). They won't tell you though how much they have. I think if they did, it might move the needle some. You can't get thousands of people to put up $25-$100 a month blindly. Are you $1 million short of your goal or $5 million short? How do I know my contribution is making a difference? If people could see that their donation is moving the needle that might help.

And again, as I stated above, what UF really needs is to start winning, or there's going to need to be a reset (new coach) to get buy-in from fans who have suffered through three straight losing seasons. Short of either of those events taking place, this is a damn good addition.

GatorDMD

Premium Member
May 9, 2023
This is the most honest quote in the story and the reason we are where we are in football. He analyzes everything to death. It took him 18 months to get it figured out and in the mean time all these other teams raced by us.

Napier’s December 2021 arrival just six months later intensified the adjustment period.

“Probably took us about 18 months to get a pulse on the landscape and what it would require to be competitive,” he said last week.

Napier's Army

Premium Member
May 16, 2023
Are problem is laid out in the story.

It says our NIL supports 200 athletes.

We have 85 football players and what something like 15 basketball players.

What are we doing giving money to the other 100 athletes?

We are spread too thin.