• We've made some major changes! Be sure to read this thread in order to get everything moved over.

Lindy's Florida Preview

Mark Wheeler

Publisher
Staff member
Premium Member
Apr 26, 2023
Gainesville
insidethegators.com

I went to Books a Million and Barnes & Noble, and finally Publix looking for Athlons, but they (Barnes and Noble on Archer) only had Lindy's today.

As you can see above, Montrell Johnson is on the cover, albeit in an older photo with his old number.

To add injury to insult, Florida only has a one-page layout preview, instead of the two-page preview afforded top programs. I often wondered why fans of MAC or Sunbelt programs buy these magazines. Now I can add the Gator Nation to that.

Lindy's has Florida ranked No. 37 in the nation, No. 12 in the SEC.

Primary Strength: Balanced offense and more speed, length, and depth on both sides of the ball should lead to more big plays.

Potential Problems: Schedule. Lost top pass rusher (Umanmielen) and big play running threat (Etienne).

They list Pup Howard as the top newcomer (Jesse Simmons also ranked Howard No. 1 in his Transfer Countdown).

UF on their All-SEC Teams

Montrell Johnson 1st team RB
Eugene Wilson 2nd team WR
Jeremy Crawshaw 2nd team P

Mark Wheeler

Publisher
Staff member
Premium Member
Apr 26, 2023
Gainesville
insidethegators.com
The first Lindy's I bought, the one previewed above, was the national magazine, and UF only had a one-page preview in there.

I bought the Southeastern version, and there is a seven-page UF spread.

Some highlights

Top Five NFL Prospects
1 Marshall Jr.
2 Johnson
3 George Jr.
4 Bridges
5 Mertz

Opposing Coaches View
Billy Napier got his butt handed to him in recruiting this year. He got poached at the end. I think Billy is really smart and a good coach, but I think he's too nice for that place.

I don't think he has control of the players. You need a Nick Saban enema at Florida. Billy is not a huge disciplinarian. That's what happened with, Will Muschamp, Jim McElwain and Dan Mullen. Florida has been mismanaged by every head coach they've had since Urban Meyer.

Three Impact Newcombers
DJ McCray
Myles Graham
Brandon Crenshaw-Dickson

MVP: Mertz
Emerging Star: Wilson
Top Newcomber: Howard

Lindy's SEC Position Rankings for Florida

QB - #8
RB - #4
WR - #10
OL - #14
DL - #14
LB - #11
DB - #11
ST - #13

MY THOUGHTS
Damion George Jr. who was terrible at offensive tackle last year and will see his first game action at guard, is Florida's third-best NFL prospect? Bridges, who started every game for Oregon in 2022, but was benched last year, is Florida's fourth-best NFL prospect?

The opposing coach didn't think that Muschamp, who booted double-digit players, wasn't a disciplinarian.

In the position rankings, WR and LB seem too low. It's hard to argue with the rest until they show something on the field.

JayM

Premium Member
May 8, 2023
This write-up doesn't make sense in a lot of ways. I've just read recently other publications have our OL as top 10 in the country and here it's #14 in the SEC? In fact, we have been good at run blocking. Just have to improve on pass blocking. We are going to score some points.

We have to hope the defense improves immensely. I think they will be better but attrition could be an issue with our schedule. We've got to keep our heads up!

Dan the Man

Premium Member
May 8, 2023

QB - #8
RB - #4
WR - #10
OL - #14
DL - #14
LB - #11
DB - #11
ST - #13

That is as bad as anything I've seen. Three years into his rebuild and Napier only has one position that is in the top half of the SEC.

Gator Rising

Feb 23, 2024
This write-up doesn't make sense in a lot of ways. I've just read recently other publications have our OL as top 10 in the country and here it's #14 in the SEC? In fact, we have been good at run blocking. Just have to improve on pass blocking. We are going to score some points.

We have to hope the defense improves immensely. I think they will be better but attrition could be an issue with our schedule. We've got to keep our heads up!
I saw the one that said we had a top ten offensive line out of all of the college football teams. This one says we're not even top ten in our own conference.

Someone is going to look like a fool.

Reactions: Termigator

Fun & Gun

May 12, 2023

QB - #8
RB - #4
WR - #10
OL - #14
DL - #14
LB - #11
DB - #11
ST - #13

That is as bad as anything I've seen. Three years into his rebuild and Napier only has one position that is in the top half of the SEC.
It isn't one or two holes. It's 90% of the team that is below average.

Verobeachgator

Premium Member
May 9, 2023

Pro Football Focus has our offensive line top 10 in the country.

Every one else has us outside the top 10 in the SEC.