• We've made some major changes! Be sure to read this thread in order to get everything moved over.

I wish we could have got Kelly

drumlin

Aug 10, 2023
I know I should ignore this post, but ....
LSU fans can celebrate commits in February, but there is a long time to go until the first signing period.
If I recall, Dylan Raiola was rated very high last year, and committed to Georgia for the longest time.
He signed with Nebraska.
Yes Kelly has won more, I'll give you that, but he was hired by a program that had competitive (with other SEC schools) facilities, and a recent "national championship".
The program was in much better shape, so attracting recruits and winning should have been expected.
Napier inherited a broken program (since Urban Meyer) and a complete lack of facilities.
It's also debatable who has recruited better.
Based on On3 average ratings of all recruits that signed, in 2023, UF - 91.34, LSU - 91.20 ... for 2024, UF - 91.39, LSU - 90.63.

Reactions: TJWarren

JayM

Premium Member
May 8, 2023
I'm not a Napier hater by any stretch. I think the negative bs from Gator "fans" is selfish and counter productive. The guy has had some tough breaks and he's on the steep part of the learning curve as HC of a major college football program.

However, there is no way to argue he is even in the same stratosphere as Brian Kelly as an HC in college football. Napier might one day become as good a coach as Brian Kelly is now but he's got a long way to go to be even close to that caliber of coach. Same could be said of all but maybe a small handful of coaches in the entire country. Kelly is top 5 at a minimum and a lock for the College Football HOF.

LSU crushed us in this hire. No doubt about it.

The disappointing part is I'm sure we could have had Kelly if we wanted him. We hired first. If Stricklin said no to Brian Kelly, he deserves all the blame on this front.

The only box Napier checks above Kelly is age. If all goes well Napier could be here for a long, long time. Kelly's runway is much shorter.

drumlin

Aug 10, 2023
I'm not a Napier hater by any stretch. I think the negative bs from Gator "fans" is selfish and counter productive. The guy has had some tough breaks and he's on the steep part of the learning curve as HC of a major college football program.

However, there is no way to argue he is even in the same stratosphere as Brian Kelly as an HC in college football. Napier might one day become as good a coach as Brian Kelly is now but he's got a long way to go to be even close to that caliber of coach. Same could be said of all but maybe a small handful of coaches in the entire country. Kelly is top 5 at a minimum and a lock for the College Football HOF.

LSU crushed us in this hire. No doubt about it.

The disappointing part is I'm sure we could have had Kelly if we wanted him. We hired first. If Stricklin said no to Brian Kelly, he deserves all the blame on this front.

The only box Napier checks above Kelly is age. If all goes well Napier could be here for a long, long time. Kelly's runway is much shorter.
I agree with what you are implying here, which I interpret to mean that Kelly has experienced previous success and has accomplished much more than Napier at the Division I level.
And I agree that the book on Napier is yet to be written, although he did experience success at Louisiana.
What is not clear to me is that had Kelly been hired at Florida, that he would have "succeeded" in the same manner that he has at LSU.
The two programs three years ago were on opposite ends of the spectrum - LSU had facilities and a recent "national championship".
Florida had outdated facilities and a broken culture within the program that had not experienced success on the same level.
Had Kelly been hired at Florida, I am not sure he would have done any better up to this point in fixing the program.

JayM

Premium Member
May 8, 2023
I agree with what you are implying here, which I interpret to mean that Kelly has experienced previous success and has accomplished much more than Napier at the Division I level.
And I agree that the book on Napier is yet to be written, although he did experience success at Louisiana.
What is not clear to me is that had Kelly been hired at Florida, that he would have "succeeded" in the same manner that he has at LSU.
The two programs three years ago were on opposite ends of the spectrum - LSU had facilities and a recent "national championship".
Florida had outdated facilities and a broken culture within the program that had not experienced success on the same level.
Had Kelly been hired at Florida, I am not sure he would have done any better up to this point in fixing the program.
Good point. I think Kelly would have had a better record than Napier at this point and probably have a better coaching staff, S&C staff, etc. He also doesn't call plays which gives him another advantage beyond experience.

I'm good with Napier though. I really hope he makes it work and retires from UF as a legend!

1BigG8RinDade

Premium Member
May 9, 2023
LSU fans can celebrate commits in February, but there is a long time to go until the first signing period.
If I recall, Dylan Raiola was rated very high last year, and committed to Georgia for the longest time.
He signed with Nebraska.
Yes Kelly has won more, I'll give you that, but he was hired by a program that had competitive (with other SEC schools) facilities, and a recent "national championship".
The program was in much better shape, so attracting recruits and winning should have been expected.
Napier inherited a broken program (since Urban Meyer) and a complete lack of facilities.
Based on On3 average ratings of all recruits that signed, in 2023, UF - 91.34, LSU - 91.20 ... for 2024, UF - 91.39, LSU - 90.63.
They had higher classes than us both years.

JDCO96

Aug 7, 2023
You want the coach who Notre Dame was okay with letting walk.

Why would you think that would be an upgrade over coach Napier?

The last time I looked coach Napier isn't responsible for a player's death. Kelly can't say that.

SFFloridaFan

May 9, 2023
Good point. I think Kelly would have had a better record than Napier at this point and probably have a better coaching staff, S&C staff, etc. He also doesn't call plays which gives him another advantage beyond experience.

I'm good with Napier though. I really hope he makes it work and retires from UF as a legend!
I want to see Napier work out too but we haven't seen him do anything to prove himself.

Gator Thriller

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2023
He signed with Nebraska.
In your eyes when can we expect Napier to get UF where LSU is right now under Kelly?

Termigator

May 8, 2023
2 years is all anyone should get to rebuild in this age of almost instant roster rebuild due to NIL and transfers. If Billy does not go 8-4 this year, he has to be fired. NO MORE EXCUSES ABOUT SCHEDULE AND DAN MULLEN!

drumlin

Aug 10, 2023
In your eyes when can we expect Napier to get UF where LSU is right now under Kelly?
I'm not a prophet, so I don't know when to expect it, or if we can even expect Napier or anyone else to bring UF up to the level where LSU is at the moment.
I am neither for or against Napier, because I think we simply do not have enough information of whether he can bring the program up to a championship level program.
I think that no matter who the coach is, it would simply take some time - two-three years is an unrealistic expectation of seeing results.
It seems many of the "fans" who want Napier fired are ignoring how far the program has fallen since Urban Meyer broke the culture of the program.

drumlin

Aug 10, 2023
2 years is all anyone should get to rebuild in this age of almost instant roster rebuild due to NIL and transfers. If Billy does not go 8-4 this year, he has to be fired. NO MORE EXCUSES ABOUT SCHEDULE AND DAN MULLEN!
Yes, this is a brilliant strategy.
Cycle through coaches every two years, and pay off their $50,000,000+ buyout.
You point out NIL, which boosters pay into.
I wonder how much NIL money will accumulate after paying out all the buyout money you propose?
Let's see what kind of coaches you can attract with your strategy?