• We've made some major changes! Be sure to read this thread in order to get everything moved over.

How do you explain our recruiting in the state?

SwampMagic

May 11, 2023
How can we be in the top 5 in recruiting but still getting our face pushed in the sand in our own state?

We can't get any of the top recruits in our own state and that would mean we are back in the 20s in recruiting but we are doing great overall.

What is going on here?

crfcom

May 10, 2023
When's the last time UF won an SEC Championship? There's your answer, that's what's going on here. Florida is one of the best recruiting states in the country and programs who have won championships in the last 2 to 5 years are all recruiting this state for all they're worth. When you aren't the most desirable brand in the market any more, you have to search far and wide for quality athletes where ever you can find them. You should be thankful to have the #3 recruiting class in the country when your brand hasn't been relevant in championship news for as long as UF has, instead of complaining about it.

Reactions: Termigator

Titletown

May 10, 2023
That is a weird thing to me too.

How is it that do we go into Texas, Georgia, and Maryland to get recruits but we can't get them from the state we are in.

I'd like to know that answer, but while we're waiting, I'll just be happy that we got who we got.

crfcom

May 10, 2023
That is a weird thing to me too.

How is it that do we go into Texas, Georgia, and Maryland to get recruits but we can't get them from the state we are in.

I'd like to know that answer, but while we're waiting, I'll just be happy that we got who we got.
It's simple arithmetic. When the 24 recruiting cycle is over, UF will have more commits from Florida than any other state. The more elite programs are pounding Florida also and taking top recruits, so UF is having to recruit multiple regions, including international, to fill a class with a talent pool that's good enough to compete for Championships. I don't know how else to explain it. It would be simpler if everyone could just be happy they have the #3 class in the country, but no, we need to question the abilities of our own coaching staff. That's what's weird to me.

Dave

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2023
In order to recruit the top talent in Florida, UF has to do a better job building relationships with Florida high school head coaches. We need to be recruiting the head coaches and the athlete's parents not just the kids. Years ago UF used to send tickets to the head coaches to get their players more familiarity with Florida facilities, the atmosphere, the culture and the present coaches. Clearly there has been a problem for many years and with a staff of 50 you would think they would figure it out...and yes we have the #3 ranked class but it's July and with only a handful of positions remaining for the 24 cycle, we will be fortunate to remain in the top 10.

Reactions: OrangeandBlue

crfcom

May 10, 2023
In order to recruit the top talent in Florida, UF has to do a better job building relationships with Florida high school head coaches. We need to be recruiting the head coaches and the athlete's parents not just the kids. Years ago UF used to send tickets to the head coaches to get their players more familiarity with Florida facilities, the atmosphere, the culture and the present coaches. Clearly there has been a problem for many years and with a staff of 50 you would think they would figure it out...and yes we have the #3 ranked class but it's July and with only a handful of positions remaining for the 24 cycle, we will be fortunate to remain in the top 10.
Maybe you didn't know that UF actually had a coach's clinic at UF for HS coaches under Napier. It sounded like they want it to be a regular thing. BTW, UGA has 25 commits and UF only has 21, so by your argument, Napier is our-recruiting Smart.

Last edited:

OrangeandBlue

Premium Member
May 8, 2023
Good point.

crfcom

May 10, 2023
Good point.
Nah, it's BS. By the numbers UF has 21 commits and UGA now has 26, and both programs have 6 three star commits. So UF has more than enough room left to pass UGA. More likely that UF finishes in the top 3 than anything else. We have legit chances with 3 five stars right now and a couple of high 4*'s. UGA may be out of scholarships or very, very close to it. Bama and OSU and LSU will finish strong like UF. Aside from the data, the recruiting results so far strongly indicate that the UF recruiting staff doesn't need any advice from you or whoever Dave is.

SwampMagic

May 11, 2023
Nah, it's BS. By the numbers UF has 21 commits and UGA now has 26, and both programs have 6 three star commits. So UF has more than enough room left to pass UGA. More likely that UF finishes in the top 3 than anything else. We have legit chances with 3 five stars right now and a couple of high 4*'s. UGA may be out of scholarships or very, very close to it. Bama and OSU and LSU will finish strong like UF. Aside from the data, the recruiting results so far strongly indicate that the UF recruiting staff doesn't need any advice from you or whoever Dave is.
Georgia got two more 4 stars in the last week.

That isn't what this is about.

I am surprised and beyond thrilled that we have the #3 class. It's weird to me that we are doing so great out of state but not doing good at all in the state.

crfcom

May 10, 2023
Georgia got two more 4 stars in the last week.

That isn't what this is about.

I am surprised and beyond thrilled that we have the #3 class. It's weird to me that we are doing so great out of state but not doing good at all in the state.
Saying we're not doing anything at all in-state is BS too. And you know it. Furthermore, you stated your frustration with UF recruiting in your first post. I answered immediately after. Asking the same question over and over isn't going to change the answer. After awhile people start wondering if you should even be at a Gator site, I know I do. All you ever contribute is whining, complaining, and criticism. You're a joy to have around.

Last edited:

drumlin

Aug 10, 2023
How do you explain our recruiting in the State?
There's been some interesting discussion on this topic and I just wanted to add a few points.
I don't really have an answer but just some random observations/thoughts:

1. Based on on3 rankings of recruits in the state of Florida, UF currently has 2 commits from the top 10 and 5 in the top 50. This includes Graham who recently transferred from Atlanta, and of course IMG players, most of whom grew up outside of the state.
2. Last year (again based on on3 rankings) Florida landed 8 in-state players ranked in the top 50, none in the top 10.
3. Remember that these rankings reflect only on-field production. Napier has mentioned that he evaluates character as well, so we don't know how these players are evaluated from UF's perspective. Urban Meyer, on the other hand, did not seem to care much if players had questions about their character. He may have had highly ranked recruiting classes, but he built a program which he admitted was broken, and is still broken to this day. I feel Napier is correcting many of these issues.
4. Also not included in the rankings are potential academic issues. Keeping this in mind as well as character evaluations, how many of the top state recruits are actually targeted by the staff? Rather than just quoting that the staff signs a certain percentage of players from the state, a more accurate count would be how players were signed compared to how many were targeted?
5. Napier has mentioned in the past that they will not heavily target South Florida, and it shows with few commits coming from that area. An interesting read on this topic is here.
6. I've mentioned this a number of times, and Napier noted the same thing recently - his staff at Louisiana was not recruiting this area and certainly not the top players from this area. He relies on building relationships and that takes time. What's interesting to note is the staff's success in the states of Texas and Louisiana which probably is a result of relationships built from their time in Louisiana.

I am not knocking Napier's in-state recruiting.
I felt he had a solid class last year (for a year one class), with a blue-chip ratio of 80%.
The current committed class is ranked third which is impressive considering UF's losing record the last couple of years.
Should the Gators show improvement on the field this year, one would assume more future top-ranked in-state recruits would heavily consider signing with UF.

Last edited: