• We've made some major changes! Be sure to read this thread in order to get everything moved over.

Five Fast Thoughts

Mark Wheeler

Publisher
Staff member
Premium Member
Apr 26, 2023
Gainesville
insidethegators.com
* One thing I think the Gator Nation is probably tiring of is talk of playing hard and being competitive. That should be a given. There's no pat on the back for that again and again. At some point, it has to result in victories. That's the bottom line for a head coach.

* It will be interesting to see what happens with Max Brown next week. Having a running quarterback adds another dimension to the offense. However, I wouldn't get too caught up in tonight's results from him considering I doubt Missouri spent a minute of practice preparing for him. FSU on the other hand will likely prepare exclusively for him.

* 24 games in, 24 opportunities to show what you are about, I don't care about what Dan Mullen did or didn't leave Billy Napier or what a previous coach did or didn't leave any other CFB coach, 24 games in, you own the results at this point. And to this point, the trend that is developing is that under Napier UF tends to find a way to lose games. I don't know another way to look at it.

* One of those ways is player usage. After Trevor Etienne carried this team last week, (and yes I understand his pass blocking is suspect, it showed late in this game) with three scores in the loss to LSU, he had but three touches in the first half while Florida was on the way to scoring just seven points. He had three touches (for 67 yards) on the opening drive of the second half, on the way to Florida scoring a touchdown. He had only one touch in the first four series of the game. He is Florida's most explosive player. Period. What if instead of three touches in the first half he had seven or eight? Does that equate to another touchdown or at least a field goal? That's the difference in the final margin. It's beyond baffling.

* For all the questions surrounding personnel and playcalling on offense - there at least seems to be a glimmer of hope on that side of the ball. The defense on the other hand continues to slide into mediocrity. The thing about placing the blame on playing younger players is that they should be showing improvement as the season progresses. We haven't seen that. Truthfully, at this point, if the choice was either Napier bringing in an OC/play caller or a new DC, I believe an upgrade at DC might be the better call.

Reactions: Panhandle UF

BD489

Premium Member
May 8, 2023
I’m angry at the last 3 offensive plays calls. Napier went incredibly conservative and left Missouri with too much time. It was predictable and coaching scared. Same thing before halftime and the same thing before halftime last game. I hate it but it’s scared money…