• We've made some major changes! Be sure to read this thread in order to get everything moved over.

🏈 Football Practice Insider 3/9/24 Spring Practice Observations

Mark Wheeler

Publisher
Staff member
Premium Member
Apr 26, 2023
Gainesville
insidethegators.com
* After being in a non-contact jersey on Thursday, I didn't see Jordan Castell with the safeties at all today during my pass-through at that position.

* The tight ends started the media viewing period (18 minutes again today) catching balls from the quarterbacks (Arlis Boardingham still looks like the most natural pass catcher of the bunch) and then moved inside the IPF to work on blocking with the offensive line, and then moved outside to work alone as a position group, once again on blocking.

* When Tony Livingston was coming out of high school the debate was whether or not he would remain at tight end or eventually grow into an offensive tackle. It has been settled. He not only isn't anywhere near the size of a Florida offensive lineman, he isn't anywhere near being the biggest Florida tight end.

* Speaking of tight ends, Keon Zipperer was once again in a non-contact jersey. There are players in non-contact jerseys who are still participating in drills (Joey Slackman is an example) and then there are those in non-contact jerseys who are basically observers. Zipperer was observing - and talking to the tight end prospects in attendance.

* When the roster came out at the start of the week and I saw some of the weights, my first impression was WTF. They have way too many 'sloppy' bodies out there. However, after seeing them these first two practices, guys like Damieon George, Kamryn Waites, Caleb Banks, and Cam Jackson either carry their listed weight better than I would have expected, or they don't weigh as much as listed.

* True freshman running back Jadan Baugh has what looks like an SEC ready body already. He is as thick through the hips and thighs as any back on the team not named Cam Carroll. He is also pretty fluid for his size (listed at 237-pounds).

* From the drills I saw, for the couple of reps I saw, Kahleiel Jackson was at the front of the wide receiver line.

* I am going to be a bit repetitive here, but I think it deserves mention again. Anyone who has ever followed this site or subscribed knows full well I am not a sunshine pumper. Having said that, the more I see of new defensive line coach Gerald Chatman, the more impressed I am with his coaching style. He stopped drills today to let his group know what type of effort and body language was and wasn't acceptable. As I pointed out Thursday, he is maybe the most vocal coach I've seen out here in a decade, but it isn't loud for the sake of being loud. He is teaching and encouraging the entire time.