• We've made some major changes! Be sure to read this thread in order to get everything moved over.

🏈 Football Practice Insider 3/26/24 Practice Observations

Mark Wheeler

Publisher
Staff member
Premium Member
Apr 26, 2023
Gainesville
insidethegators.com
Normally, the practice observations I post are tidbits that I see during the 15-minute media opportunity.

However, today, I spoke with someone who was there from start to finish.

Here are their observations:

It was physical, they were making good contact and good technique tackles, but nobody on the ground was the rule.

Montrell Johnson is always going to “wow” you with anything he does; he is explosive, elusive, and has great vision. He is the only running back who had a long touchdown run today.

There seems to be a really steady chemistry between Graham Mertz and Chimere Dike.

DJ Lagway threw two interceptions. If I remember it was one during 7-on-7 and one during 11-on-11. Even with that, I've seen him twice already and he is getting the hang of things. And that is really showing by how quick his new throwing motion is and his quick decisions.

I saw the games last year and practices this year and I feel like even without Ricky Pearsall this receiver group has a chance to be better with Chimere Dike, Tre Wilson, Aidan Mizell, and Tank Hawkins.

Taylor Spierto made some really big plays but I didn't see any long touchdown catches today.

Cam Jackson and Caleb Banks had a handful of TFLs and sacks.

Offense Standouts:
Standout 1: Chimere Dike - made plays out there every time they threw his way.
Standout 2: Montrell Johnson - even when Oline collapsed and there was no hole, he made a way.

Defense Standouts:
Standout 1: Cam Jackson - he was a major disruptor to run and pass game
Standout 2: Ja'Keem Jackson - he makes big plays and can be put on an island out there.

The offensive line looked shaky all the way around in run blocking and pass blocking,

The secondary didn't let anyone get behind them and they didn't take any bad angles.

DJ Lagway didn't have a good day but I still think he looked better than the transfer Clay Millen and is going to be the backup to Graham Mertz.

Gator Thriller

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2023
That's a great news on how Dike is fitting in. He didn't get a lot of publicity transferring to us but I think he is going to surprise some people.

Whoever gave us the update deserves a high five.