• We've made some major changes! Be sure to read this thread in order to get everything moved over.

2024 and 25

Titletown

May 10, 2023
On Shane Matthew's radio show this morning they said they think that coach Napier gets 2024 and 25 seasons no matter what.

If we have another losing season, will he really be back for 2025?

drumlin

Aug 10, 2023
I did not listen to the radio show, and I have no inside information.
However, I do think this is probably true.
Many recruits have commented that Napier has a "plan", as has Napier himself.
I can only guess that the "plan" was to slowly purge the roster and replenish primarily through the HS recruiting ranks.
I am guessing since this is precisely what he has done.
Such a "plan" requires time and I doubt Stricklin would have hired him without both knowledge and approval of this "plan", thus the large buyout that has been reported.
With all these assumptions, it only makes sense that Napier is allowed to show what he can do with the roster he has assembled, and I don't think one can judge by 2024 alone, which is why my guess is he is allowed to coach through 2025.

Termigator

May 8, 2023
Regardless of record, if there is significant improvement and a reduction in stupid penalties AND play calling, running out of bounds when trying to burn clock (Etienne), etc, I think he gets one more year.

drumlin

Aug 10, 2023
He already lost half of his first class. If next year we are talking about losing half of his second class how can he build only thru high school recruiting?
First, I did not say he is building "only" through HS prospects, I said he is building "primarily" through HS recruits.
Second, I am speculating based on his actions, comments made, and just common sense.
I don't think his "plan" was unknown to Stricklin.
I am speculating that they agreed there would be some losing seasons before his roster takes shape.
This is analogous to pro teams that purge a roster of overpriced or over-the-hill athletes.
Third, I am not judging his process, I am just stating what I believe his "plan" is and that it was approved by probably not only Stricklin, but maybe even big $$$ Gator Boosters.
So I can't answer your question.
I am only saying that unless something unforeseen happens (Lagway leaves, for instance), then I think he gets to coach 2025.

Link

Premium Member
Aug 31, 2023
This is why we have to get behind him. He’s going to be here two years whether any of you are fans or not.

Why not try to be positive and help the team out.
I just don’t see any evidence of execution of this plan our cause for hope, I can’t fake optimism in the face of our present reality - but that is just my opinion - Happy New Year y’all!

SFFloridaFan

May 9, 2023
I just don’t see any evidence of execution of this plan our cause for hope, I can’t fake optimism in the face of our present reality - but that is just my opinion - Happy New Year y’all!
IF we were getting better I can see supporting him all out.

We lost 5 in a row.

We've been getting worse.

BD489

Premium Member
May 8, 2023
I think he’s here for 2 more years largely based on his contract. The schedule is hard but winning 8 isn’t completely unreasonable. Napier needs to show he’s developing this team and the fans need to stop making excuses for him.

Termigator

May 8, 2023
I think he’s here for 2 more years largely based on his contract. The schedule is hard but winning 8 isn’t completely unreasonable. Napier needs to show he’s developing this team and the fans need to stop making excuses for him.
Winning a close road game against a ranked opponent would be a good place to start. We had Mizzou beat and could not close. That's an improvement we need to show.