• We've made some major changes! Be sure to read this thread in order to get everything moved over.

2 foreign OL signees in one class

GatorDMD

Premium Member
May 9, 2023
Taking one project in a class is one thing but taking two in the same class is asking for trouble.

I would take a 3 star in the state that played at a high level high school before I would be taking these sort of chances.

Mark Wheeler

Publisher
Staff member
Premium Member
Apr 26, 2023
Gainesville
insidethegators.com
Look at players like Ocyrus Torrence and Robert Hunt that coach Napier and coach Sale found and developed into NFL players.

If they like an offensive lineman we should like them too.
Napier and Sale get, and absolutely deserve to get, credit for evaluating, signing, and developing Torrence.

However, Hunt was already a two year starter heading into his junior year when they arrived at Louisiana. They didn't evaluate and sign him, but do deserve some credit for the final product.

This isn't meant to rain on anyone's parade, but let's give credit where credit is due, but be realistic and truthful about it so as not to raise unrealistic expectations that they somehow have this magic touch when it comes to offensive linemen.

Nothing about their overall time at ULL suggests that that is the truth.

Termigator

May 8, 2023
Taking one project in a class is one thing but taking two in the same class is asking for trouble.

I would take a 3 star in the state that played at a high level high school before I would be taking these sort of chances.
Between the OL in the class, punter and basketball players from overseas, are we the UN of the SEC?

Reactions: Titletown

BD489

Premium Member
May 8, 2023
Napier and Sale get, and absolutely deserve to get, credit for evaluating, signing, and developing Torrence.

However, Hunt was already a two year starter heading into his junior year when they arrived at Louisiana. They didn't evaluate and sign him, but do deserve some credit for the final product.

This isn't meant to rain on anyone's parade, but let's give credit where credit is due, but be realistic and truthful about it so as not to raise unrealistic expectations that they somehow have this magic touch when it comes to offensive linemen.

Nothing about their overall time at ULL suggests that that is the truth.
Add to that Torrence was from Louisiana. If he was from a few states away would they have been recruiting him? Or was proximity their best friend versus doing some incredible evaluation?

RegGator

May 16, 2023
Fans point out O'Cyrus Torrance but what about all the other o linemen they signed at Louisiana and didn't do anything. Doesn't that prove that they don't walk on water?

If that isn't it.

Look at how our line played last year and looks this year.

Gatlin Gator

May 12, 2023
Look at players like Ocyrus Torrence and Robert Hunt that coach Napier and coach Sale found and developed into NFL players.

If they like an offensive lineman we should like them too.
We don't normally get great line recruits but I give our coaches credit for being able to coach up the ones we do get.

JayM

Premium Member
May 8, 2023
We don't normally get great line recruits but I give our coaches credit for being able to coach up the ones we do get.
Agreed. Despite seeming lack of OL talent we have been able to run the ball on the best teams in the country. We need to get better on pass pro and we need some help from RBs in that department. I'm hoping these new RBs are going to be good at pass pro.

I think the long passes will come when we get good pass protection.