• We've made some major changes! Be sure to read this thread in order to get everything moved over.

What's the chances we can keep Lagway if we fire Napier

Gatlin Gator

May 12, 2023
Maybe we have to keep coach Napier at least for a few games into next season to see what he can do, because if we fire him is there any chance we could keep Lagway here?

Is it worth it to fire Napier if it risks us losing Lagway.

BD489

Premium Member
May 8, 2023
Napier isn’t developing his players and they’re not showing up on game day. If we make a great hire then lagway might want to stay as he could love his teammates and the area. Can’t keep Napier for one player at this point.

Mark Wheeler

Publisher
Staff member
Premium Member
Apr 26, 2023
Gainesville
insidethegators.com
I would wonder more along the lines of what are the chances of keeping Lagway if Napier is still here.

I know that DJ has said that he loves Napier and he came here to play for him.

I would expect any player to say that publically. Privately I would want to know how much NIL also played a part. He has also said that he is a UF fan that predates Napier being the coach. Also, to be honest, I find it hard to believe any quarterback would say the main reason he came to UF was to be developed by Napier, who has never produced a top end NFL quarterback. Even Anthony Richardson was drafted based on his athleticism, not his quarterback skills developed by Mullen or Napier.

Then, if I were DJ and his family, and it's just me speaking, I would actually be pissed about how he was used against Texas A&M. The week before against Samford, he got the first team reps. The week of the A&M game, he split first team reps with Graham Mertz, with my understanding being Mertz took the majority of the first team snaps.

A true freshman quarterback like that is being thrown to the wolves if he doesn't have a chance to be in the game, stay in the game, and find his rhythm. Napier did him no favors with that rotation.

Reactions: Termigator

drumlin

Aug 10, 2023
One possible compromise is to move Napier to the GM position and hire a coach to replace him.
He is good at organization and gets to stay in Gainesville doing something for the money he would get paid in a potential buyout.

Termigator

May 8, 2023
One possible compromise is to move Napier to the GM position and hire a coach to replace him.
He is good at organization and gets to stay in Gainesville doing something for the money he would get paid in a potential buyout.
I am not sure how good he would be as the GM. He certainly has not been good at building a championship roster or coaching staff.