• We've made some major changes! Be sure to read this thread in order to get everything moved over.

🐊 Orange & Blue Board Insider A behind-the-scenes look at Wednesday's Florida Football Team Draft

Mark Wheeler

Publisher
Staff member
Premium Member
Apr 26, 2023
Gainesville
insidethegators.com
As a disclaimer, someone who was there gave the info to someone they know, who passed it on to me. They weren't taking notes, but this is how they were told it unfolded.

Today Florida held their off-season draft as the team prepares for the summer Regimen Phase.

The entire squad is broken down into eight teams and then Captains for those teams are picked by the coaching staff (I was told it is basically the Leadership Council broken down).

The eight teams

1 Lock the Gates
2. Represent
3. Foxhole Guys
4. Leave no Doubt
5. Attack or be Attacked
6. Legendary Finish
7. Show Me My Opponent
8. Work the Cut

The Captains

1. Shemar James
2. Jason Marshall
3. Teradja Mitchell
4. Jeremy Crawshaw
5. Derek Wingo
6. Princely Umanmielen
7. Justus Boone
8. Jaydon Hill

1. Ja'Markis Weston
2. Trevor Etienne
3. Dante Zanders
4. Ricky Pearsall
5. Kingsley Eguakun
6. Montrell Johnson
7. Austin Barber
8. Graham Mertz

First Round of the Draft

Justin Pelic
Taylor Spierto
Jack Pyburn
Jacob Watkins
Cam Carroll
Caleb Douglas
Jake Slaughter
Max Brown

Second Round of the Draft

Riley Simonds
Sebastian Vargas
Kam Waites
Thai Bowman
Miguel Mitchell
Rocco Underwood
Cam Jackson
Devin Moore

Then it went round by round until every player was picked.

The teams will compete for points throughout the Regimen Phase earning points for things such as putting in extra work after practice, getting treatment, winning drills, community involvement, etc...

And, a player can also lose points by missing class, not going to tutoring, being late for a lift, practice, etc...

At the end of the Phase, all the points of each player are totaled up and there is a winning team.

Feel free to share this by linking to the post, but please don't cut and paste this to other sites or social media

Titletown

May 10, 2023
If i'm looking at this right it means that our starting quarterback was the 16th and last captain picked.

The quarterback should be the leader of the team.

I can't imagine Tebow or Wuerffel or Richardson being the 16th pick for captain.

Mark Wheeler

Publisher
Staff member
Premium Member
Apr 26, 2023
Gainesville
insidethegators.com
So Weston is a better than Etienne, Johnson or Pearsall.
The way it is set up to earn points, you aren't drafting by who is the best player, but more along the lines of who is the most dependable and best teammate and maybe a workout warrior.

Those who do well in workouts, showup on time and do community service are worth more than the player who scores three touchdowns on Saturday, but perhaps doesn't do the other things as well.

JayM

Premium Member
May 8, 2023
Do all coaches do something like this to make summer competitive? Did Mullen have some sort of score for summer performance? Can't imagine what kind of brutal action Meyer had going on! Saban must do something equivalent if Billy is doing it.

This is the first I've heard of this. I'm just wondering how common it is to structure summer this way.

Mark Wheeler

Publisher
Staff member
Premium Member
Apr 26, 2023
Gainesville
insidethegators.com
Do all coaches do something like this to make summer competitive? Did Mullen have some sort of score for summer performance? Can't imagine what kind of brutal action Meyer had going on! Saban must do something equivalent if Billy is doing it.

This is the first I've heard of this. I'm just wondering how common it is to structure summer this way.
Under both Meyer and Mullen, everything was a competition in the offseason. The Champions got steak dinners and new gear, the losers got no gear and pork and beans.

The draft part I haven't heard of, or I don't remember hearing of, but the competition part isn't new.

Termigator

May 8, 2023
If i'm looking at this right it means that our starting quarterback was the 16th and last captain picked.

The quarterback should be the leader of the team.

I can't imagine Tebow or Wuerffel or Richardson being the 16th pick for captain.
They would have if they were in their 1st year on the team after being in Gainesville for less than 6 months.