• We've made some major changes! Be sure to read this thread in order to get everything moved over.

Napier said he's going to keep calling plays

BD489

Premium Member
May 8, 2023
If the defense is better we can afford a good but not great offense.

If the defense isn't better it doesn't matter who is calling the plays on offense.
If the defense is just a bit better then having a much improved offense would be of great help. We had a mediocre overall offense, why ignore that if you’re Napier?

Mark Wheeler

Publisher
Staff member
Premium Member
Apr 26, 2023
Gainesville
insidethegators.com
I've seen post after post today on Twitter parsing every word he spoke.

That's what happens this time of the year, and for the next four months.

My take, I can see both sides. Those who want to see something positive can find something to highlight. Those who want to see the negative, can find something to complain about.

Either way, nothing said now matters. He'll either turn this thing around this year, or he'll be on the shortest of leaches.

Reactions: Termigator

Termigator

May 8, 2023
I've seen post after post today on Twitter parsing every word he spoke.

That's what happens this time of the year, and for the next four months.

My take, I can see both sides. Those who want to see something positive can find something to highlight. Those who want to see the negative, can find something to complain about.

Either way, nothing said now matters. He'll either turn this thing around this year, or he'll be on the shortest of leaches.
I agree. If I knew my butt was on the hotseat, I would not trust anyone else to be the play caller. After bringing Roberts to fix the Defense, he desperately needs to fix the Special Teams. If he can get that fixed, barring injuries, I see us going 8-4.

JayM

Premium Member
May 8, 2023
I don't know that anyone could have called a better offense last year. We scored a ton of points and chewed up a bunch of ground despite not being able to pass block and a serious lack of receiving threats.

The defense let us down big time at Missouri, vs. Arkansas, LSU and Kentucky. That's where we need to get better.

The issue to me with Napier calling plays is not the quality of the play calls but the time it takes away from program building, relationships, etc. It's just too much of a burden in modern college football for an HC to call plays. I don't think it can be sustained.

Hopefully we can have a good year and he can move on from play calling next year.

Last edited:

BD489

Premium Member
May 8, 2023
Watch us have our best offense in years and a bunch of reporters and fans will have to eat crow and shut their traps.
That would be great. But the entire operation has to be improved. Fans are worried because other aspects of our game look poor while having a below average offense.

Romeg8r

Premium Member
Jul 14, 2023
It was bottom half of the sec. Unless you have an elite defense we won’t win with a below average offense.
But in fairness the defense couldn’t get off the field so the offense had limited number of opportunities. We moved the ball great. But we must do better in the red zone. Don’t be surprised if you see DJ a good bit in the red zone.

BD489

Premium Member
May 8, 2023
But in fairness the defense couldn’t get off the field so the offense had limited number of opportunities. We moved the ball great. But we must do better in the red zone. Don’t be surprised if you see DJ a good bit in the red zone.
I’d be a huge fan of seeing dj get some red zone reps. I know he has some size but is he a physical runner for those red zone possessions? Tebow looked for that contact, curious if lagway would do the same.

Termigator

May 8, 2023
I’d be a huge fan of seeing dj get some red zone reps. I know he has some size but is he a physical runner for those red zone possessions? Tebow looked for that contact, curious if lagway would do the same.
I agree with what you say about Tebow looking for contact, but Lagway is a significantly better runner than Mertz. Lagway inside of the 10-yard line will give D-Coordinators headaches.

BD489

Premium Member
May 8, 2023
I agree with what you say about Tebow looking for contact, but Lagway is a significantly better runner than Mertz. Lagway inside of the 10-yard line will give D-Coordinators headaches.
Agreed on being far better runner than Mertz. I was more curious if he’d try to be a finesse runner or power runner as a freshman.

Reactions: Termigator