• We've made some major changes! Be sure to read this thread in order to get everything moved over.

🏈 Football Practice Insider 8/6/24 Practice Observations & Video

Mark Wheeler

Publisher
Staff member
Premium Member
Apr 26, 2023
Gainesville
insidethegators.com
Before (or after) reading our Insider Observations from Tuesday's practice, check out our Take Five: Football Camp Preview. We go over the strengths and weaknesses as well as break down players into several groups.

It was an evening practice at the Heavener Complex.

The biggest news is that though he was in a black non-contact jersey, running back Montrell Johnson Jr. was at practice, following the offense around, tossing a ball in the air to himself. He didn't have on a bulky brace, wasn't on crutches or a cane, and didn't appear to be limping at all. As importantly, he was standing right there by the action. Normally if a player is somewhat immobile, they keep them away from the action if they don't think they can get out of the way fast enough. We'll wait for Billy Napier to give a more complete update, but it doesn't look as bad as some might have imagined.

Others (besides the quarterbacks) in a non-contact jersey included:

OL Fletcher Westphal (he has been in one the first week of fall ball) and Caden Jones.
S Asa Turner.
CB Devin Moore and (I believe) Ja'Keem Jackson (he was turned sideways so I saw the #2).

Speaking of Turner, maybe it is just a difference in training philosophy, and as I have stated Florida's players look a lot better this year than they did at this time last year, but he doesn't look quite as jacked up to me as he did when he first came over from PAC-12 Washington.

It struck me over the weekend for an update I am putting together, that I have yet to notice walk-on tight end Caleb Rillos. I went back and looked at my video I've shot over the first week, and haven't seen him. I specifically looked for him today, and still didn't see him. That doesn't mean he isn't out there. We have 10-15 minutes to get what we can get across several football fields.

The biggest news I saw today I really can't share right now. I will say that blowups in camp aren't rare. It's hot, players have been beating on each other out in the sun, things get heated. However, there was a player at a position that pretty much the entire rest of his position was getting on, and he was catching friendly fire. Much more so than what you would normally see. I won't name the player or the position, but we'll see if anything becomes of it. If so, I'll tell the story. If not, I won't.

Since some made a big deal out of the drop the other day, tight end Arlis Boardingham caught the first on air pass thrown to him today.

While Jaden Baugh deservedly made a name in the spring game, I'd still keep and eye on KD Daniels. He is in great shape and looks light on his feet.