• We've made some major changes! Be sure to read this thread in order to get everything moved over.

🏈 Football Practice Insider 8/16/24 Practice Observations & Video

Mark Wheeler

Publisher
Staff member
Premium Member
Apr 26, 2023
Gainesville
insidethegators.com
Before (or after) reading our Insider Observations from Saturday's practice, check out our Take Five: Football Camp Preview. We go over the strengths and weaknesses as well as break down players into several groups.

The final fall practice to allow a media viewing period was held in the form of a scrimmage in the Swamp this afternoon.

Before the scrimmage, Florida hosted former players and their families in a packed Gator Room. Prior to going down to the field, Billy Napier addressed the crowd, telling them that they are welcome to be part of the program and that they hold several events a year for past players.

Some of those I saw in attendance were Bill Allen, James Speer, Tim Beauchamp, Deac Story, Carl Johnson, Terry Jackson, Brandon Spikes, Steve Harris, and Rodney Weston.

The team looks relatively healthy overall. Those I saw in a non-contact jersey included defensive backs Bryce Thornton, and Aaron Gates, tight ends Tony Livingston and Gavin Hill, and a trio of walk-on receivers - Brian Green Jr., Alex Gonzales, and David Schmidt.

We didn't see much of anything outside of warmups and about five minutes of positional drills.

From what I saw along the line, there were no surprises among the starters. As for backups, Kamryn Waites was at second-string right tackle and Bryce Lovett was second-string left guard.

I credited defensive tackle Caleb Banks for newfound practice energy earlier this week. I'll double down on it today. He looks like he has more energy this week. The same goes for Desmond Watson.

Speaking of the defensive line, Jamari Lyons was out near his position mates during warm-ups, walking around on crutches.

I'll post some video from warm-ups here in a few minutes and then later this evening we should have some Insider Scrimmage Tidbits when it is over.

Mark Wheeler

Publisher
Staff member
Premium Member
Apr 26, 2023
Gainesville
insidethegators.com
Inside the Gators received reports from two people who were in attendance for today's scrimmage.

* The best player during the scrimmage today was Graham Mertz by far. He was very calm and composed, he connected for a couple of deep shots, including one for 40 yards to Eugene Wilson. He also started showing signs of previous connections with Chimere Dike that I had not seen in the spring or the first scrimmage.

* On defense Jordan Castell had an impactful day. He had an interception and multiple pass breakups.

* Tyreak Sapp caught a tipped ball and took it to the house for a pick-six.

* Asa Turner had some big moments getting to the quarterback on disguised blitzes.

* A player that I think is flying under the radar is Jakobi Jackson, the running back. He had a couple of powerful runs of 10+ yards when he was in the scrimmage today. He could end up moving up in the depth chart as the year goes on. Especially depending on what happens with Montrell Johnson Jr. early in the season.

* Someone I do not think has lived up to the billing so far this year is Elijah Badger. He has had a couple of good catches but has not been able to crack the ones for receivers. He needs to use his experience to benefit himself as well as the receiver group as a whole.

* I think DJ Lagway has come the farthest since the spring out of all the new players. He is beginning to understand the system and has developed better delivery with his passes. However, he still has a ways to go. He needs to learn when to scramble and when to stay in the pocket. He scrambled too many times today, but the pocket discipline will come with time.

* As units the offensive line and defensive backs have come a long way. The offensive line looks more stable and does better in pass protection than they did the first scrimmage. They should be able to carve out holes up front for our running backs group and hold off defensive linemen for Graham to take more shots downfield. The defensive backs are tackling better than they have before. They are saving a lot of the YAC and keeping offenses away from their red zones.

* Special teams also look much improved with the addition of Coach Joe Houston to the staff. He has players understanding their roles in the system.

* Cormani McClain has been in and out with an eye injury, but he did dress today.

* Maybe I missed something but I did not see Joey Slackman on the field after warmups.

* Slight hits to Tre Wilson and Tank Hawkins today kept them off the field for most of the day.

* There were no serious injuries today and I only saw one fight, but it was broken up quickly.

From another person in attendance:

* Today it seemed like DJ Lagway was a lot more settled in the pocket, but he did take off a few times and his being jittery in there led to some turnovers such as a deflected pick 6 by Tyreak Sapp. He was okay overall and did complete most of his passes.

* Something I took notice of was Rod Kearney'ss presence with the starters on the offensive line today. He went back and forth more with Damieon George. It will be interesting to see where that goes because Kearney has typically run with the second string at center.

* Andy Jean seemed to hurt his shoulder at the start of the scrimmage and didn't do much after that.

* The two backs that stood out today were Jakobi Jackson and Jaden Baugh. They had multiple breakout runs and scores.