• We've made some major changes! Be sure to read this thread in order to get everything moved over.

šŸˆ Football Practice Insider 8/10 Insider Scrimmage Notes

Mark Wheeler

Publisher
Staff member
Premium Member
Apr 26, 2023
Gainesville
insidethegators.com
The biggest news of the day is probably the worst news out of camp so far. Defensive tackle Jamari Lyons suffered a serious leg injury. What the person thinks it is hasn't been confirmed so I won't put that. It isn't good news though. Adding insult to injury, he was having an excellent camp and really looked to be one of the top line guys.

The offense looked much improved from last year. They were excellent in the red zone drills. Best players on that side of the ball were Graham Mertz and DJ Lagway. Both did good jobs when they were on the field leading the offense.

The defense created a couple of turnovers by the starters, but they still need some work. The defensive line was a little off.

Mertz hit a couple of long balls.

Highlight of the day had to be walk-on Anthony Rubio winning a Bull Gator drill.

The Bull Gator drill is Florida's version of the Oklahoma Drill that it takes place near the goal line. Sometimes the coaches will stop practice and run it just to increase the intensity level, because everyone always goes wild.

Two defensive standouts were DJ Douglas and Asa Turner because they made a few plays in the backfield.

Mark Wheeler

Publisher
Staff member
Premium Member
Apr 26, 2023
Gainesville
insidethegators.com
Another person told me:

Graham Mertz definitely played well overall, but he missed a couple of deep balls.

Kelby Collins had a couple of sacks. TJ Searcy was also active.

Tank Hawkins had a long touchdown.

One highlight run was a 15 yarder from Ja'Kobe Jackson.

Aaron Gates and Jordan Castell had interceptions.

Arlis Boardingham caught a touchdown pass on a tipped ball.

BD489

Premium Member
May 8, 2023
Hope the injury isnā€™t career ending for lyons.
Mertz biggest weakness was the deep ball last season. Really hoped heā€™d fixed that in the offseason.

JayM

Premium Member
May 8, 2023
Serious bummer about Jamari, for him and for the team. I thought he was going to have a breakout season and he has clearly become a team leader even though he hasn't contributed a lot so far.

Injuries are always a bummer but this one makes me particularly sad...