• We've made some major changes! Be sure to read this thread in order to get everything moved over.

🏈 Football Practice Insider 3/7/24 Spring Practice Observations

Mark Wheeler

Publisher
Staff member
Premium Member
Apr 26, 2023
Gainesville
insidethegators.com
Here are some observations from the first practice of the spring.

First and foremost, keep in mind that we are allowed to view a 15-minute (today it was 18 minutes) period per practice. We almost always see the same drills.

There isn't a ton to be gleaned from what we are allowed to see.

You can bet that is on purpose.

Don't go overboard if receiver X catches every ball thrown his way or Quarterback Y completes every pass. They are throwing on air. There are no defensive linemen bearing down on them and no defensive backs in coverage.

Every pass should be on point and caught.

If receivers are dropping balls or quarterbacks are missing throws, that is a bad sign.

On to today's experience.

* Derek Wingo, Shemar James, Jordan Castell, Austin Barber, Justus Boone, and Joey Slackman were all in non-contact jerseys but working out with their positions.

* Cam Carroll, Keon Zipperer, and Jack Pyburn were in the Pit.

* Maybe my biggest takeaway from the day was on new defensive line coach Gerald Chatman. Though he doesn't have a great resume coaching P5 football, I can see what Billy Napier saw in him. He is loud, maybe the loudest coach I've heard out there in a decade, and very vocal with his motivation. It was a bit warm for spring out there today, and he was pushing his guys to go full throttle through drills. I don't know a thing in the world about his 'teaching' ability, but I can see where he could be considered a top motivator that relates to his guys and gets the most out of them. Getting 300 pound plus guys to give you all they've got is half the battle for a defensive line coach.

* Derek Wingo is listed at 240-pounds, but he looks like he is carrying that weight very well.

* Asa Turner looks like the most impressive safety from a physical standpoint. Long frame and is bigger through the arms and chest than any of the other safeties.

* I know, everyone is dying for a DJ Lagway update, but we'll be able to draw a more definitive conclusion as to where he stands early on with his readiness after the first scrimmage in a couple of weeks. I watched him for a couple of minutes and only saw one miss, but I was taking a photo, so I don't know if it was on him or the receiver. One thing I do know, physically, he stands out like a sore thumb from the quarterback pack. He isn't as defined through the arms and chest as Tim Tebow or Anthony Richardson, but he is thick and a year or two in a college program will likely see him at their level from a physique standpoint.

* In the IPF, when the line broke down with tackles going to one coach and the guards/centers with the other, Damieon George stayed with the interior linemen. As did true freshman Noel Portnjagin. The other freshmen and transfers - Brandon Crenshaw-Dickson, Fletcher Westphal, and Chris Williams were with the tackles. I didn't see Devon Manuel. That doesn't mean he wasn't out there though. There are over 100 players and 10-12 stations to take in a very short period of time.

* After coming in as a tackle, when the line broke into groups, redshirt freshman Bryce Lovett went with the interior linemen rather than the tackles.