• We've made some major changes! Be sure to read this thread in order to get everything moved over.

The 25 best coaches

BD489

Premium Member
May 8, 2023
Sark has had one good year.
He was good at Washington and was on a decent trajectory at usc before rehab. So he has head coaching experience outside of Texas to consider. Also nobody has been able to have one great season at Texas since Mack brown, so it’s an accomplishment that should propel him up the list.

BD489

Premium Member
May 8, 2023
Look at 11 to 13.

How are they ranked that high?
Norvell turned around a struggling fsu team and in year 4 was undefeated until the bowl game without most of their starters.
Franklin won 9 games at vandy twice in a row. That’s unheard of! (He’s had some great seasons at Penn state but hasn’t lived up to the expectations they had for him when hired I’d assume)
Gundy has won 12 games twice, 11 once, 10 games 7 times and 9 games twice. That’s strong in a conference with Texas and Oklahoma.

OrangeandBlue

Premium Member
May 8, 2023
Norvell turned around a struggling fsu team and in year 4 was undefeated until the bowl game without most of their starters.
Franklin won 9 games at vandy twice in a row. That’s unheard of! (He’s had some great seasons at Penn state but hasn’t lived up to the expectations they had for him when hired I’d assume)
Gundy has won 12 games twice, 11 once, 10 games 7 times and 9 games twice. That’s strong in a conference with Texas and Oklahoma.
Norvell started out worse than Napier.

Franklin doesn't do anything in the Big 10 against OSU or Michigan.

BD489

Premium Member
May 8, 2023
Norvell started out worse than Napier.

Franklin doesn't do anything in the Big 10 against OSU or Michigan.
He took over a far worse situation than Napier. Norvell also won 9 in year 3 so it might be premature to compare to Napier when norvell also went undefeated in the regular season year 4.

You’re correct about Franklin not doing anything against Michigan or OSU. That’s why Day is ranked so much higher and Harbaugh would have been top 2.

There are very few elite coaches. I think Norvell and Franklin are ranked where they should be but that can also be said as a criticism of elite cfb coaches.