If it feels like college football kick off just yesterday, well get ready. College basketball is approaching, and Gator head coach Mike white along with returning player Colin Castleton spoke with media today about their older yet new team.
- The first day of practice has come and gone. He mentions that there is plenty of chemistry already amongst the team and no drama. “I really like the energy out there today,” White said.
- The Gators could definitely do without the drama as last season was dramatic. Between COVID-19, Keyontae Johnson’s health issues, and the cancellation of March Madness, there were some hurdles to clear at every turn.
- White stated that Keyontae Johnson is still not cleared to play, but remains involved with the team. "He continues to be a great person, a great teammate, an extension of our staff. He's all in on continuing to be coach Key." White said he wants to see “Coach Key” happy and healthy.
- White discussed the specifically difficult year his team faced adding that it was taxing. The main source of motivation was Johnson — “just kept us all going,” White said.
- He adds that this is probably one of his more experienced teams as of late. Older does not necessarily mean better he clarifies.
- “I really like the culture between the lines—on the court,” White said about how his new team is already feeling comfortable and connected. “It’s been refreshing today,” he adds.
- White also talked about Niels Lane. Lane approached the summer with eagerness. Despite struggling to get court time as a freshman, he has shown plenty of improvement.
- Veteran Colin Castleton tried his hand with NBA teams before returning to Florida. He said he cherished every moment and looks forward to getting better for next year.
- Colin also talked about the team will transition to a five-out offense where he expects to throw lots of threes.
- Additionally, he said they are moving towards that more open offense, but they still love to run.
- “We’re all a unit right now,” Castleton urged. He reinforced White’s points about hos despite a fresh-faced and new-laced squad, the team is coming together early. They have been able to bond on a personal level which will translate on the court.
That’s all for today. Over a month until that first game in November, but there will be more practices and [ress conferences in the meantime.