FLORIDA FOOTBALL & RECRUITING COVERAGE
- Four-star Sapp: Five visits and an announcement
- Jones spent a week and a half working out with quarterback guru
- Getting to Know: Offensive Line Signee Austin Barber
- Robinson leading the charge as Florida battles for five-star
- Former Florida standout Floyd mentoring current top target White
- Defense: Projecting the two-deep depth chart
- Redshirt Report: Umanmielen made most of opportunities
- ITG Mock Signing Class 1.0
- Post Spring Anonymous Player Q&A Part II
- Post Spring Anonymous Player Q&A Part I
- Former Florida Football Player Roundtable III
- Where are they Now: Shane Matthews talks Florida Football
Whenever a hometown kid commits to a school, it’s a special moment for both the kid, who more likely than not grew up a fan of said school, and the coaching staff, because it shows the staff can sell the brand.
Jake Slaughter, who lives 30 minutes from Gainesville, was committed to Florida State when he got his offer to play for the Gators. The 6-foot-4, 300-pound center is now weeks away from enrollment, and gave us an inside look at his unusual recruiting process, old soul and more, in this edition of Getting To Know.
Take us through the process that led to your commitment. What was that experience like for you?
”I was originally committed to Florida State, and Coach [John] Hevesy ragged on me hard for about two weeks. Then he offered me, and said he always knew I was a Gator. My family and I talked about it. My buddies and I talked about it, and my coaches, too. Then, I figured it would be the best option for me. It’s always where I wanted to be. I’m 30 minutes down the road from Gainesville.”
Which school came in second for you? Why?
”Either Florida State or Ole Miss when Coach [Randy] Clements was still there.
What would you say are some of your greatest strengths as a football player?
”I think of myself as a strong competitor with a drive to win and a good teammate. I always want to be there for my guys.”
Who is the prospect that you have talked to the most from the Class of 2021?
”I talk a lot with my buddies Austin Barber and Nick Elksnis. And Michael Tarquin.”
- Getting to Know: Class of 2021 Signees Newsfeed
- Getting to Know: Class of 2020 Signees Newsfeed
- Getting to Know: Class of 2019 Signees Newsfeed
What would be your first purchase if you got drafted in the first round of the NFL Draft?
”I’d have to say either a real nice boat or a lot of land.”
What is one thing that you cannot live without it? Why?
”I’d say my phone or music.”
Who has been the biggest role model for you in your life? Why?
”My dad, for sure. He’s just that dude. He busts his tail and provides.”
What are your favorite types of music? Do you have a favorite artist or song?
“I listen to a lot of country music. I don’t really have a favorite artist or song, though.”
What is your favorite movie?
”Full Metal Jacket. It’s an oldie.”
If you could meet one person in the world, who would that be?
If you a chance to go on a dream date, who would it be with?
Where do you see yourself five years from now?
”In five years, I want to be with a good-paying job starting my family up.”
What are three things on your bucket list?
”Win a national championship.”
”Make a ton of money.”
”Have a healthy family.”
What is one thing about you that the Gator Nation would be surprised to find out about you?
”I’ve always been a part of the Gator Nation. It’s just a new role in the family for me.”