Who is to blame; Toney or players?

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Termigator
      ITG Subscriber

I personally think it’s a combination of lack of quality D-line depth and scheme. Too many times we line up with one fewer DBs/LB than there are receivers to cover and too far off the line of scrimmage compared to what the opposing offense needs for a first down.

• This topic was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Termigator.
      Bd489
      ITG Subscriber

Both is the obvious answer but Toney is leading the worst 3rd down defense in the nation. With new coaches the same players generally show some level of growth. Happened under both Mac and Mullen first years. We seem to be regressing under Toney. Heck, under grantham we stepped it up year 1 and 2. Toney we have gone the wrong way. He only had one year of being a DC and we might need to bring in a Geoff Collins type to be “co-dc” with Toney and call plays while toney learns.
      Edit-did toney not watch the defense we played last year when we lined up 10 yards off when the other team only needed 5 yards? We are doing the same thing again this year!!

Romeg8r
      ITG Subscriber

Yes

Steve L
      ITG Subscriber

Damn if I know. To be honest this defense is so bad it’s hard to decipher. It can’t possibly be all coaching or Toney is the worst defensive coach in Florida Football history. I don’t really think that’s the case but so far but his adjustments are totally lacking. Players? Probably they deserve a large share of the blame. It’s hard to tell if they’re incapable or just plain lost. Realistically there’s plenty of blame to go around for both parties. Has to be a combination of players and coaching. I don’t expect drastic changes this year but Billy needs to go into overtime to address it.

baseballdad16
      ITG Subscriber

Looks unanimous, both are to blame.

Mark Wheeler
      Forum Owner

Does UF have Championship level talent?

No, but they have better talent than their No. 131 ranked third down defense would indicate.

Mark Wheeler
      Forum Owner

Does UF have Championship level talent?

No, but they have better talent than their No. 131 ranked third down defense would indicate.

Steve L
      ITG Subscriber

Mark-I agree with your assessment so what is your opinion or insight?

RegGator
      ITG Subscriber

We line up 10 or 15 yards off the receiver on 3rd and 8 plays and still drop back at the snap of the ball.

Tampa area Gator
      ITG Subscriber

How about both.

We need to get better players and our coaches need to change some things.

How in the hell is Marshall worse this year with Raymond as his coach.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Never miss the latest news from Inside the Gators!

Join our free email list