UF-SC Postgame Press Conference

Viewing 31 reply threads
  • Author
      Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

Following the Gators’ 38-6 win over the Gamecocks, head coach Billy Napier and select players will address the media. Follow along here for live updates.

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

Napier says before anything, he has to thank the fans.

Acknowledges that this was the largest average home crowd attendance since 2015.

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

Says this week has been really impactful to his team and staff.

“The football’s improved because the people are improving. There’s a brotherhood in that room.”

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

Continuing to harp on the team’s success being in large part due to intangibles and growing as people just as much as football players.

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

“I’m not worried about a bowl game.”

Says he’s more worried about that guys in the locker room improving.

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

“They know who’s doing their part and who’s not.” – Napier on his team’s character

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

“It’s unfortunate we turned the ball over there at the end. We played 4 games without a turnover.”

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

Napier says the focus during the week was to win the turnover margin and be effective rushing the ball.

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

Napier says special teams were an issue tonight — specifically mentions the botched FG, blocked FG, and fake-punt TD given up.

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

Adds that the special teams unit is a good, talented group. Works hard.

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

On Caleb Douglas, Napier says he has a huge ceiling. Is only going to get better and better.

“Consistent worker. He’s a good young player. He’s only going to get better from here.”

Adds that he is not just a good player, but smart – and willing to call guys out in the locker room too.

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

“Ventrell Miller is as good of a human being as I’ve been around in my career … He’s an old soul.”

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

Napier, on his outgoing seniors, says he’ll remember ‘Trell specifically for the aforementioned reasoning. Adds that he’s a “hell of a football player, too.”

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

On the Trevor Etienne 85-yarder, Napier gives credit to receivers for blocking and “Ant” making the right decision.

Adds, with a smile on his face, that players were “giving him a hard time” for losing some speed there at the end and getting tackled right in the front of the endzone.

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

Desmond Watson’s name was brought up, and Billy Napier immediately couldn’t hold back an ear-to-ear grin.

“Im proud of him,” he said. “He’s come a long way.”

Speaks to how much he loved the sideline energy after that play, and how impressive of a play it was.

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

Now on the podium: Ventrell Miller

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

With a smile on his face, says that while he’s been offered NIL deals, year 7 is indeed out of the question. “It’s my time to go.”

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

Miller on Desmond Watson’s big play.

“He switched hands and everything. I seen him.”

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

On if the locker room believes they’ve turned a corner: “Most definitely.”

Says it’s been a different energy in practice since the A&M game.

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

Now on the podium: Anthony Richardson

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

AR on the how formidible a dominant run game makes this team: “That’s been a blessing for us.” Says they’re tough to beat when they’re running the ball like they did tonight.

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

On if the win over South Carolina was his last game in The Swamp:
      “I haven’t really thought about it … We’re just tryna win every game now.”

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

Says he “definitely” plans on playing in the bowl game.

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

“We’ve been trying to get this going all year … We’re more than excited … ‘Bout time we play complementary football.” — AR on the how it feels having the team rolling right now

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

Says that ever since that Georgia loss, they’ve been focusing on going 5-0 — on going 1-0 every week.

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

On the run game dominance: “We were clicking. The O-line, running game and myself.”

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

“Shoutout to Des for making a big play.” Says that given the way they were already celebrating, that if Watson scored, they might’ve just ran into the locker room.

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

Now on the podium: Trey Dean

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

Dean says that he knew this new coaching staff had a great plan before deciding to come back.

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

“Ain’t no other place like The Swamp. I’m glad to be a Gator.”

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

On his play the past few games and progression throughout this season, Dean says the credit goes to Napier and his staff, who are teaching him new things “after every game.”

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

That wraps up the press conference.

Viewing 31 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Never miss the latest news from Inside the Gators!

Join our free email list