Postgame Press Conference Thread

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • Author
      Chris Will
      ITG Subscriber

Coming up shortly, Billy Napier and select players will speak with the media following the 45-35 loss to the LSU Tigers. Follow along for live updates.

Chris Will
      ITG Subscriber

Billy Napier is at the mic

Chris Will
      ITG Subscriber

“I’m proud to be associated with that group in the locker room.”

Napier acknowledges that they didn’t do enough to win tonight and that “there is nothing fun about losing.”

Chris Will
      ITG Subscriber

“I respect the fight in the group,” Napier said, “But ultimately not enough to win the game.”

Chris Will
      ITG Subscriber

“I gotta do more for our team.”

Chris Will
      ITG Subscriber

On the defenses struggles:
      “I see a lot of opportunity.”
      Napier credited Daniels for getting out of some close calls with the Gator defenders. He said it’s a combination of many factors that contributed to the loss.
      “We’re going to be sick when we watch this tape,” he said.

Chris Will
      ITG Subscriber

On Richardson’s run to start of the third quarter:
      “He’s wearing his heart on his sleeve.”

Chris Will
      ITG Subscriber

Clock management to end the half:
      Napier said they didn’t get to a field position to be aggressive and that they didn’t want to put the ball back in the Tigers’ hands to end the half.

Chris Will
      ITG Subscriber

On playing without O’Cyrus Torrence:
      “Overall, that group played well.”

Chris Will
      ITG Subscriber

On Dexter’s roughing the passer:
      Napier said they didn’t get a replay of it.
      “Officiating wasn’t the issue tonight.”

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Chris Will.
      Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

Napier was asked about Gervon Dexter’s roughing the passer penalty. He winced right away. “You’re trying to get me here.”

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Cam Parker.
      Chris Will
      ITG Subscriber

“I want to win every single game that we play,” Napier said, “We’re in year one and I think the big thing I would say is that we’re working on the people and we’re making progress there.”

Chris Will
      ITG Subscriber

Anthony Richardson will be up next…

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

On the state of the program in year one.

Napier said the team can’t take short cuts. There’s no avoiding adversity, and that they have to work through them rather than avoid them. Adds that they can’t waste experiences whether good or bad.

Chris Will
      ITG Subscriber

Napier continued…
      “There are veteran players in that locker room that deserve our best.”

Chris Will
      ITG Subscriber

Napier said it’s a team game and that Florida has a group that will take ownership of their mistakes and improve during the bye week.

Chris Will
      ITG Subscriber

On losing on a big recruiting weekend:
      “Making a decision to come to the University of Florida is more than a single event.”

Chris Will
      ITG Subscriber

Napier said there is work to do and the recruits that were here this weekend can contribute to that process of winning the conference and national titles.

Chris Will
      ITG Subscriber

Richardson is up…

Chris Will
      ITG Subscriber

Rcihardson said it felt good to break out that big run to start the third. He said he wasn’t fully paying attention to all the festivities since they were down but enjoyed being able to break out that big play.

Chris Will
      ITG Subscriber

Richardson said he wants to work on his connection with the receivers during the bye. He said he missed a few big throws and wants to better that communication.

Chris Will
      ITG Subscriber

“I didn’t expect anything less from Richie [Leonard IV],” Richardson said about the substitute for O’Cyrus Torrence. He said he wasn’t surprised by his performance.

Chris Will
      ITG Subscriber

On the state of the program:
      “I feel like we’re constantly growing,” Richardson said.

Chris Will
      ITG Subscriber

“I’m a big guy, so people are going to keep trying to take out my legs,” Richardson said about the roughing the passer play against him.
      He joked that he just has to move better in the pocket because it is just going to keep happening.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Chris Will.
      Chris Will
      ITG Subscriber

“That’s my guy,” Richardson said about Montrell Johnson.
      When Johnson breaks off a big run “It takes a load off of me,” he said.

Chris Will
      ITG Subscriber

Richardson said the deep post to Shorter to open the game is something “we worked on all week.”

Chris Will
      ITG Subscriber

That’s it for tonight. Shorter was available for sidebar. Stay tuned for a full synopsis

Mark Wheeler
      Forum Owner

Billy Napier courtesy Florida Sports Information:

Opening statement…
      “I told the team before and after the game this is a great game that we play. It’s a blessing to play the game and coach the game. The best thing about the game was the people that you get to do it with: the players, the coaches. We’ve got hundreds of people on the staff that contribute to our team. I’m proud to be associated with that group in that locker room because I get a chance to be with them every single day. Ultimately, we did not do enough to win the game tonight. When you’re in a leadership position, there is only one answer. You’ve got to do better for the people that you are leading: players, staff, and all the people that care and represent this university. You’ve got to do a better job. There’s lots of things that we can do better. Nothing fun about losing. I think the most difficult part, when you are in my chair, is seeing it in the people that work so hard. There’s going to be a ton of things that we can do to improve. I respect the fight in the group. I respect the competitive spirit. There’re many times out there tonight where they could’ve folded their cards and they fought back in the game and got it to a one score game. We did a lot of good things tonight, but ultimately not enough to win the game. It’s my job to position the team to win, to have success, and I could do my job better. That’s exactly what I’m going to do. I’m proud of the players and certainly excited to continue to work with them. It’s a good group. It’s the best thing about the game. The people you get to do it with. I got to do more for our team.”

On the defense…
      “What I see is opportunity. I’m seeing a lot of opportunity. You have to give a little bit of credit to LSU tonight. The skill players, the quarterback. I don’t know that we tackled. I don’t know that that’s one of our better days from a tackling perspective. Individual matchups, they won their fair share tonight. We got the guy. We are all over the guy a lot of times and the guy out runs us or breaks the pocket. I think that, when we look at it, we’ll see a combination of things. We’re going to see a lot of things that we can do better schematically. I think we are going to see things that we can do fundamentally better. I think there are going to be opportunities for guys to make plays. It’s going to be a combination of all those things. I do not think it’s one thing or another. I think it’s a combination of all those things. Ultimately, with the things that we can control from a coaching perspective and the things that we can do better, we need to do those things better. I think that we are going to be sick when we watch this tape. That’s what I can tell you.”

On Anthony Richard’s touchdown run…
      “I can’t credit Anthony [Richardson] enough relative to flipping the switch and being a great
      competitor. You can see it in his eyes, and he is wearing his heart on his sleeve. Anthony’s a guy that wants to do his absolute best for the team and that one play was a good example of that. Gets it to two scores and we get a stop. We are going to be sick when we watch the tape. I think, ultimately, we have to do more for our players. We are going to see a lot of opportunities when we watch the tape.”

On clock management at the end of the half…
      “They’ve got two as well, so you are in a mayday two-minute situation. There’s a certain level of aggression that you are going to use based on field position. We never really got into field position where you needed to be aggressive. Ultimately, I think they’ve got two [timeouts]. The last thing you want to do is give them the ball back again. I think it’s a deliquiate situation there that you try to help manage the players there.”

On the offensive line…
      “I thought, for the most part, we fought them pretty well. I don’t know what the numbers look like. We had some leakage here or there. Richie Leonard played for the most part and did a good job in the game. They had some really good players on the edges. On third down in particular we had some issues with their dime package, but overall that group played well. I think we’ll be pleased with that when we go back and look at the tape.”

On the roughing the passer…
      “I think there will be some opportunity to teach there. That’s a judgment call. It is bang-bang. The guy felt like it was unnecessary roughness on the quarterback. We didn’t get a replay of it. I wasn’t able to see it, so it probably wouldn’t be right for me to comment on it. Officiating wasn’t an issue tonight. They let them play tonight. That’s what I would say, and that’s what I always want them to do. They let them play. We got a great crew, great people there. There will be some things there. We’ll ask for feedback. When we get to the tape, we will be able to coach them better based off the feedback just like we do every week.”

Mark Wheeler
      Forum Owner

Anthony Richardson courtesy Florida Sports Information:

On the timing of his 81-yard touchdown run…
      “Definitely feels good. Right before we went back out there, I was talking to Coach O’Hara and we were down, and he said, ‘We’re going to score and make it 42-28, and put us right back in the game.’ And it just so happened that I made that play right there and it did put us in a position to come back and win the game. So, it felt pretty good just to be a part of that.”

On whether he was paying attention to the crowd during the third-quarter break…
      “A little bit. You know, mainly when we’re winning. But we were down there, so we try to focus on executing the next play. And I was in the moment, and I was just excited to score a touchdown with my teammates.”

On the emotions heading into the bye…
      “Another SEC loss, we wanted to win that one. We needed to win that one. So, we’re not really
      happy about that, but it also gives us a chance to come back in and see what we can work on and improve on. It gives us a little bit more time to prepare for the next game and make sure this doesn’t happen again.”

On the area of focus during the bye week in advance of the next matchup…
      “Definitely connecting with the receivers a lot more. You know, I missed a few over routes. Few balls behind the receivers. I got to make it easier for them to make plays. I can definitely improve on that. Protection checks. Improve on that. Help the O-Line. Help the running backs. Just playing confident. I feel like that’s the main thing to improve on. Just being able to communicate better with each other and knowing that we’re all on the same page.”

On the impact of not having O’Cyrus Torrence and what he saw from Richie Leonard…
      “I didn’t expect anything less from Richie. He plays hard. He’s always going to play hard. He’s always ready for the moment, whenever he does get a chance to get out there. So, I didn’t expect anything less from him, and I thought he did pretty good.”

Mark Wheeler
      Forum Owner

Justin Shorter courtesy Florida Sports Information:

On the play call on his 51-yard touchdown reception and whether it was planned…
      “I’d say, it wasn’t something we talked about, but we definitely practice it. Like every week, we practice going through our deep balls and short balls, short game. So, it’s just something that we practice, been practicing since the summertime.”

On the mood in the locker room after a game like this…
      “I’d definitely say it’s very hard, especially coming in after a loss. Everyone is kind of down. But Ventrell Miller came in, he really picked the team up and brought us all back together. Coach Napier came in, said some really, really positive stuff. You know, we’re just going to go back to the drawing board. Tomorrow, come in there and just put that work in, really to improve and get better because we got Georgia now.”

On Miller’s message to the team…
      “He just – I’m obviously not going to say everything he said, because it’s a locker room thing – but he just told us how like we need to come together and come in and really just go back to the drawing board, and just work hard and work together every day, and really just work as hard as we can and have great practices. Because that’s the only way we’ll be able to get better and really improve.”

On the meaningfulness Tom Petty Day in The Swamp and being a part of it…
      “I’d definitely say it’s definitely a blessing just to even be able to go out there, and just see everyone out there and just know really what it’s for… I’m just grateful to be a part of this team, and go out there and really create an impact on everyone watching, too.”

On the emotions of this game and how they impacted Coach Napier and the team…
      “I’d definitely say it was a big game and I feel like it’s more emotional when you put so much work into it. You really fight and you really come back with a chance to win. But, you know, we really, really fought and came back. So, I think we were all really into it and I think that took a little toll on him, but we all picked him up, you know, just like how he picks us up, too.”

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Never miss the latest news from Inside the Gators!

Join our free email list