- November 18, 2022 at 10:54 pm #26355
Florida, in the midst of a two-game winning streak, takes to the road to face Vanderbilt Saturday at 12:00 noon in a game being shown on The SEC Network.
Follow along in the game day thread as Rafael de la Santos, Cam Parker, Zack Weiss, Chris Will, and myself post updates and observations.
- November 19, 2022 at 9:58 am #26373
- November 19, 2022 at 10:09 am #26374
- November 19, 2022 at 10:26 am #26375
- November 19, 2022 at 11:46 am #26377
- November 19, 2022 at 11:55 am #26379
- November 19, 2022 at 11:55 am #26380
- November 19, 2022 at 11:56 am #26381
- November 19, 2022 at 12:03 pm #26382
Florida will kickoff to start. Defense up first
- November 19, 2022 at 12:04 pm #26383
Florida kicking off, the ball goes into the endzone. Florida will begin the second half with the ball.
- November 19, 2022 at 12:05 pm #26384
Umanmielen gets the stop behind the line.
- November 19, 2022 at 12:06 pm #26385
Three and out for the Florida defense.
- November 19, 2022 at 12:06 pm #26386
Pearsall is back fielding punts again after replacing Henderson last week.
- November 19, 2022 at 12:06 pm #26387
Quick 3-and-out to start. Strong pressure by the front 4. Time for the offense
- November 19, 2022 at 12:07 pm #26388
Michael Tarquin is starting at right tackle.
- November 19, 2022 at 12:07 pm #26389
Michael Tarquin gets the start over Austin Barber at RT
- November 19, 2022 at 12:08 pm #26390
Burke on the screen pass for short yardage. And then a terrible snap for a HUGE loss. Third down coming up.
- November 19, 2022 at 12:08 pm #26391
That was an early snap again before Richardson called for it.
- November 19, 2022 at 12:09 pm #26392
Florida converts on a third and 25. That is something you expect the other team to do against the UF defense.
- November 19, 2022 at 12:09 pm #26393
What in the world Kingsley Eguakun… as much as he leads the Gator OL, it feels like he has more snap issues than anyone
Doesn’t matter as Ricky Pearsall does Ricky Pearsall things with a 26-yard catch on third down
- November 19, 2022 at 12:13 pm #26394
And a targeting on Vanderbilt. As much as I disagree with the rule, the rule states it’s targeting. Unfortunate for the Vanderbilt player.
First down for Florida, though, which puts them across the 50
- November 19, 2022 at 12:14 pm #26395
Nice play, nice throw, Burke has to have that one.
- November 19, 2022 at 12:14 pm #26396
Good read by Richardson but a drop by Burke.
Will go down in the stat book as an incomplete pass, but a read and throw that the NFL scouts in attendance will like
- November 19, 2022 at 12:15 pm #26397
Pearsall lost his footing. Now it’s fourth down.
- November 19, 2022 at 12:15 pm #26398
Turf monster credited with the tackle on third. Good attempt on the cut, but slipped.
- November 19, 2022 at 12:15 pm #26399
Reynolds with one of the top 2-3 catches of the season.
- November 19, 2022 at 12:16 pm #26400
DAEJON REYNOLDS HOLY MOLY.
What a throw by Richardson, too.
Thought that was Justin Shorter for a second
- November 19, 2022 at 12:16 pm #26401
Seems like every time Richardson sits back on that back foot and lets it fly, it’s always a beautiful floater for a huge gain.
- November 19, 2022 at 12:18 pm #26402
Johnson would have walked into the endzone. Big drop there.
- November 19, 2022 at 12:18 pm #26403
Redzone woes continue.
Two runs up the middle go nowhere and a drop by Johnson on third down. Brutal
- November 19, 2022 at 12:19 pm #26404
Florida is up 3-0, but there were too many mess-ups and missed opportunities on the opening drive.
- November 19, 2022 at 12:19 pm #26405
Maybe it’s the cold, maybe it’s a loss of focus because it’s Vandy, but the last 10 plays have been very indicative of a lack of intention.
- November 19, 2022 at 12:20 pm #26406
The scoring streak continues for Florida.
Mihalek right down the middle, his 11th field goal of the season (11-17, 4-5 between 20-29)
- November 19, 2022 at 12:25 pm #26407
Dez Watson nearly getting the tackle. Slows the RB down enough for Miller to get there.
People want him to be a big blow-up guy, but that isn’t his role. Let him plug gaps and allow the LBs to clean things up
- November 19, 2022 at 12:26 pm #26408
Vanderbilt converts on third down with Will Sheppard, the ‘Dores leading receiver (708 yards, 9 TDs)
- November 19, 2022 at 12:28 pm #26409
Vandy to go for it (11/24)
- November 19, 2022 at 12:28 pm #26410
Fourth and four from here? That’s risky.
- November 19, 2022 at 12:29 pm #26411
I guess it isn’t that risky when the receiver is wide open, but Florida forces the fumble and gets the recovery.
- November 19, 2022 at 12:29 pm #26412
You’ve got to think how about how much the scoreless quarters stat weighs on the defense (As they force another fumble)
- November 19, 2022 at 12:29 pm #26413
Absolutely no one covered Sheppard. No one. Easily a first down, but Ventrell Miller does what he does best with a forced fumble. Gator ball.
Early contender for sickos game of the week.
- November 19, 2022 at 12:32 pm #26414
Patrick Toney’s defense has forced a turnover in every single game this season, per the broadcast crew.
It feels like it’s been centuries since that’s happened
- November 19, 2022 at 12:33 pm #26415
Good lord these receivers. Another drop, this time by Thai Bowman.
- November 19, 2022 at 12:33 pm #26416
Richardson is now only 4 of 8 for 75 yards, but he has had balls dropped by Burke, Johnson and Bowman.
- November 19, 2022 at 12:34 pm #26417
That floater had more speed than the one for Reynolds, thus the result.
Those are the small details that an extra year in Gainesville could mitigate.
- November 19, 2022 at 12:35 pm #26418
Through the first two possessions, Florida has passed the ball 8 times while running it 6 times.
- November 19, 2022 at 12:38 pm #26419
This Davis kid is making Florida’s defense look slow by comparison.
- November 19, 2022 at 12:40 pm #26420
Dexter and McClellan team up for the tackle at the line.
- November 19, 2022 at 12:41 pm #26421
Vanderbilt needs to get Davis outside the tackles. He is getting swarmed up the middle.
- November 19, 2022 at 12:42 pm #26422
Nice closing speed by Powell against the ‘fastest quarterback in the SEC’ but Umanmelien bails them out with a personal foul penalty.
- November 19, 2022 at 12:42 pm #26423
What a chase-down by APR. Not many people in the SEC can chase down Wright like that.
Umanmielen called for an unnecessary roughness, though. First down Commodores
- November 19, 2022 at 12:43 pm #26424
Looked like Umanmielen got pushed in the back on that replay right? It caused him to then “push” a Vandy lineman for the flag.
- November 19, 2022 at 12:43 pm #26425
End of 1.
Florida 3, Vanderbilt 0
An abysmal start for the Gators. There’s no sugar coating it.
- November 19, 2022 at 12:43 pm #26426
At the end of the first quarter, Vanderbilt actually has more yards (94 to 62) than Florida, but the Gators are ahead where it counts, up 3-0.
- November 19, 2022 at 12:45 pm #26427
Can’t afford to keep Vandy in the game by committing stupid penalties
- November 19, 2022 at 12:47 pm #26428
Kamari Wilson and Miguel Mitchell are in
- November 19, 2022 at 12:48 pm #26429
Wilson makes the tackle well after the first down, but a holding call negates it. Wilson drew the flag
- November 19, 2022 at 12:49 pm #26430
Powell with a big sack, but there’s another personal foul against Florida.
- November 19, 2022 at 12:49 pm #26431
APR with the sack, but it’ll be a flag.
Undisciplined first half for Florida. Self-inflicting wounds
- November 19, 2022 at 12:50 pm #26432
Sapp with the stop to bring up third down.
- November 19, 2022 at 12:52 pm #26433
Burney stayed home to make the stop.
- November 19, 2022 at 12:54 pm #26434
There goes the defense’s shutout streak as Vandy walks down the field running the ball (and help from a UF penalty) then gets the touchdown toss.
The Gators are down 7-3.
- November 19, 2022 at 12:54 pm #26435
And Vanderbilt scores.
This does not look like the Gator team I’ve watched the last two weeks.
There’s no sugar coating anything. That drive was terrible.
A lot of credit to Vanderbilt. Strong running by Davis and took advantage of UF penalties
- November 19, 2022 at 12:56 pm #26436
Just when you start thinking the team has turned the corner they play a quarter like that.
- November 19, 2022 at 12:58 pm #26437
There’s a laziness about Florida today, not from everyone but from the little details that have now ended their shutout streak.
- November 19, 2022 at 1:00 pm #26438
Florida’s three receivers on that play: Caleb Douglas, Daejon Reynolds, Thai Bowman.
Whoever had that lineup on their bingo card, congrats
- November 19, 2022 at 1:01 pm #26439
That was certainly a late hit against Reynolds.
- November 19, 2022 at 1:01 pm #26440
Richie Leonard IV now in at LG with Barber at LT
- November 19, 2022 at 1:02 pm #26441
A Thai Bowman catch? A Thai Bowman catch. First down Gators. Richardson threw that one Feleipe Franks style with the velocity
- November 19, 2022 at 1:03 pm #26442
This one will be coming back. Looked like one of the receivers moved
- November 19, 2022 at 1:03 pm #26443
Burke was listed as the starter today, but it seems as though he’s fallen out of favor already.
Douglas, Reynolds and Bowman getting the reps.
- November 19, 2022 at 1:04 pm #26444
That stings to have a penalty like that, that didn’t impact the play at all, wipe out the big run.
- November 19, 2022 at 1:05 pm #26445
I just noticed Barber is in at left tackle for Gouraige.
- November 19, 2022 at 1:05 pm #26446
Third and eight run up the middle…
- November 19, 2022 at 1:05 pm #26447
Third and 7? Run it up the middle.
What in the world.
- November 19, 2022 at 1:06 pm #26448
At least Adam Mihalek is good.
Gators cut the lead (Can’t believe I typed that)
- November 19, 2022 at 1:09 pm #26449
Billy Napier said earlier this week that the goal was a 145.00 QBR (passer rating) for Anthony Richardson. He is right on track today – despite a couple of drops from his receivers.
- November 19, 2022 at 1:11 pm #26450
Vanderbilt leads 7-6.
Mihalek with a 44-yarder right down the middle. 2/2 on the day and 12/18 on the year
- November 19, 2022 at 1:14 pm #26451
Kamari Wilson was thinking endzone there.
- November 19, 2022 at 1:15 pm #26452
Oh man Kamari Wilson.
That’s 6 if he holds on.
- November 19, 2022 at 1:15 pm #26453
Any other team plays this Florida and we’re talking about a blowout at this point.
- November 19, 2022 at 1:16 pm #26454
There’s nothing to say. Special teams is awful.
What in the world was Jason Marshall doing
- November 19, 2022 at 1:16 pm #26455
More stupid play No reason to touch that ball.
- November 19, 2022 at 1:16 pm #26456
That was just disastrous. These last two weeks Florida’s special teams have been Game Changers alright – changing the game in a positive way for the opposing team that is.
- November 19, 2022 at 1:17 pm #26457
When I first saw three back there, I was thinking are they going to play Henderson.
What a turn of events there.
Vanderbilt goes up 14-6.
- November 19, 2022 at 1:17 pm #26458
Corey Raymond and Tre’Vez Johnson shown comforting Marshall on the broadcast
- November 19, 2022 at 1:19 pm #26459
Things happen good and bad, great calls, poor calls, great execution, poor execution. That’s sports. However, this is the first time this year you get the feeling the staff just didn’t have the team ready to play. They look uninspired out there.
- November 19, 2022 at 1:20 pm #26460gatrkd50ITG Subscriber
This team today is playing very lethargic overall. The play calling is out of sync also just no flow to either side of the ball.
- November 19, 2022 at 1:21 pm #26461
Another stupid play.
- November 19, 2022 at 1:23 pm #26462
Florida with four penalties for 50 yards here so far. Procedural penalties you’ll live with. These 15 yarders though are killers and something that the Gators had gotten away from committing, for the most part, this season.
- November 19, 2022 at 1:24 pm #26463
Richardson stared down Odom.
Florida has to punt. No reason to throw that one.
- November 19, 2022 at 1:24 pm #26464
13 looked like he was drapped over Odom on that play. Florida will punt – again.
- November 19, 2022 at 1:24 pm #26465
No chance of completing that pass. The entire team is playing dumb today.
- November 19, 2022 at 1:25 pm #26466
Crawshaw is the only bright spot in that not so special teams
- November 19, 2022 at 1:25 pm #26467
Crawshaw with a 58-yard punt. This should be the final drive of the half.
- November 19, 2022 at 1:26 pm #26468
Florida came into the game ranked second in the nation in yards per rush – today they are averaging just 1.4 yards per carry (17 yards on 12 carries).
- November 19, 2022 at 1:27 pm #26469
The SEC Network announcer said that he is surprised Billy Napier didn’t utilize his time outs. That tells me that he didn’t do his homework coming into this game.
- November 19, 2022 at 1:34 pm #26470
Anthony Richardson has zero carries in the first half. Florida’s offense is struggling in the first half. I wonder if there is a correlation between the two? 🤔🤔
- November 19, 2022 at 1:39 pm #26471
I can never figure out Napier’s end of first half management
- November 19, 2022 at 1:50 pm #26472
Richardson (finally) keeps it and gets 7.
- November 19, 2022 at 1:51 pm #26473
Really nice grabs by Shorter and Reynolds
- November 19, 2022 at 1:52 pm #26474
Is Richardson afraid to run?
- November 19, 2022 at 1:53 pm #26475
Yes, a slant on 3rd and 15
Gators to go for it
- November 19, 2022 at 1:54 pm #26476
Holy moly Justin Shorter.
Florida is playing their best on 4th down apparently
- November 19, 2022 at 1:54 pm #26477
Richardson ran it twice in a row to start the drive, but then UF started going in reverse. Another big pass and catch on fourth down keeps the drive going.
- November 19, 2022 at 1:56 pm #26478
A heart-attack style play ends with a Gator touchdown.
Really good throw against the blitz by Richardson, Johnson with his first TD reception of the season
- November 19, 2022 at 1:56 pm #26479
Pretty play call and execution (other than the defender getting in there too soon). Florida comes out and walks down the field for a score. Chasing the points already…
- November 19, 2022 at 1:57 pm #26480
And they don’t convert. 14-12 Vandy with the lead.
- November 19, 2022 at 1:57 pm #26481
The good ol orbit motion screen fails on the 2-point try.
Gators fail to convert, VU leads 14-12.
Really nice drive to start, but need a better play call than that to finish.
- November 19, 2022 at 2:02 pm #26482
Powell with the pressure there. Back-to-back plays from #52, but it gets wiped out by yet another Florida penalty.
- November 19, 2022 at 2:03 pm #26483
Another stupid penalty.
- November 19, 2022 at 2:03 pm #26484
Would have been another three-and-out, but Florida once again flagged.
Self-inflicting is the only way to describe today’s game
- November 19, 2022 at 2:04 pm #26485
Vanderbilt is now 5-of-8 on third-down conversions.
- November 19, 2022 at 2:05 pm #26486
Marshall was all over the receiver on the deep pass attempt. That brings up second down for the Dores.
- November 19, 2022 at 2:05 pm #26487
Powell with containment on the edge again for basically a no gain.
- November 19, 2022 at 2:06 pm #26488
Vanderbilt is now 6-of-9 on third down. UF can’t get off the field.
- November 19, 2022 at 2:07 pm #26489
Another 3rd down conversion for Vanderbilt.
Hill was backing up before the snap.
Don’t understand the soft coverage.
And a substitution penalty on Florida. Did this team even practice this week?
- November 19, 2022 at 2:08 pm #26490
Poor tackling, bad 3rd down defense, numerous penalties…it’s reeking of Dan Mullen’s Florida.
- November 19, 2022 at 2:08 pm #26491
Chris McClellan will get credit for the sack, but Jaydon Hill caused it.
- November 19, 2022 at 2:09 pm #26492
We deserve to lose this game. We are back to wuss tackling.
- November 19, 2022 at 2:09 pm #26493
A rare Ventrell Miller whiff.
Vanderbilt first down.
- November 19, 2022 at 2:09 pm #26494
Kamari Wilson did a great job fighting off that block. Not sure if Wright slipped or slid on purpose, but either way it’s a loss
- November 19, 2022 at 2:10 pm #26495
- November 19, 2022 at 2:11 pm #26496
All the momentum from the two-game winning streak is now officially out the window – even if UF pulls this out.
You can’t play this poorly against a team like Vanderbilt and come away feeling like you are trending upward.
This is an embarrassingly bad display of play and coaching.
Vanderbilt leads 21-12.
- November 19, 2022 at 2:12 pm #26497
VU leads 21-12
Mike Wright is 7-12, 67 yards and 2 TD
Ray Davis has 88 yards on 19 carries.
It’s clear who Vanderbilt’s contributors are, and Florida is doing nothing to stop them.
- November 19, 2022 at 2:17 pm #26498
Shorter had to pull up and wait, or that was going the distance.
- November 19, 2022 at 2:18 pm #26499
Florida can not send their defense back out there after a three and out.
- November 19, 2022 at 2:18 pm #26500
Today is showing (once again) that if Billy Napier is going to make any staff changes this offseason, these two are a must:
On-field special teams coach
Offensive coordinator/play caller
- November 19, 2022 at 2:19 pm #26501
That’s an interception.
- November 19, 2022 at 2:21 pm #26502
I don’t know how much you can blame Bowman for that interception, but man what a nightmare for the kid.
He laid a horrible block down for Reynolds on the previous play for a loss. He’s already dropped a couple of passes.
Florida is missing their starters badly, on top of the kind of intensity that had them on a streak.
- November 19, 2022 at 2:22 pm #26503
Totally unprepared team.
- November 19, 2022 at 2:23 pm #26504
Touchdown Vanderbilt. One team wants it more.
- November 19, 2022 at 2:23 pm #26505
Touchdown Vanderbilt. Time to change the channel if you can
- November 19, 2022 at 2:23 pm #26506
Trey Dean with the kind of tackle you’d lay down in middle school
- November 19, 2022 at 2:25 pm #26507
Florida needs AR and AR will need Shorter to pull this one out.
- November 19, 2022 at 2:28 pm #26508
There’s still an entire quarter to play, but this seems over. Florida’s going to need a miracle to turn this one around
- November 19, 2022 at 2:31 pm #26509
Florida has 15 mins to turn it around. UF has lost to Vandy once in the last 30 years. In 2013 Tyler Murphy was the UF quarterback, Will Muschamp was the coach and VU was actually pretty good (9-4). This is nothing like that. Napier is about to find the bottom if they can’t catch fire.
- November 19, 2022 at 2:31 pm #26510
The dilemma, AR too talented to bench and too inconsistent to win a championship at any level.
- November 19, 2022 at 2:34 pm #26511
Mind boggling. Napier is going to start hearing some noise.
- November 19, 2022 at 2:34 pm #26512Bd489ITG Subscriber
Please put in kitna the next drive
- November 19, 2022 at 2:35 pm #26513
End of 3
Vanderbilt 28, Florida 12
Stat-wise was pretty even between the two teams (UF 78 total yards, Vanderbilt 84), but the ‘Dores outscored them 14-6 while forcing a turnover
- November 19, 2022 at 2:35 pm #26514
Florida gets a third down stop. We’ll see if they can swing momentum on offense.
- November 19, 2022 at 2:37 pm #26515
At this point to start the fourth quarter, Florida has twice as many penalty yards (65) as they do rushing yards (30).
- November 19, 2022 at 2:39 pm #26516
DAEJON REYNOLDS WOW
- November 19, 2022 at 2:40 pm #26517
Reynolds was my preseason pick to have a surprising year on offense, that of course hasn’t happened because before today he has barely seen the field. Now, he has 7 catches for 149 yards today.
As poorly as UF has played, this one isn’t over yet.
- November 19, 2022 at 2:40 pm #26518
Going to be reviewed, but either way, first and goal Florida
- November 19, 2022 at 2:42 pm #26519
Play stands. Going for 2
- November 19, 2022 at 2:43 pm #26520
You guessed it, that throw was certainly behind Reynolds for yet another missed 2-point conversion.
- November 19, 2022 at 2:43 pm #26521
0/2 on 2-point tries. Analytics not winning today
- November 19, 2022 at 2:45 pm #26522
One phenomenal throw one terrible. Inconsistent.
- November 19, 2022 at 2:47 pm #26523
And they’re going to review for targeting.
- November 19, 2022 at 2:48 pm #26524
Miller laid into him there. UF defense has some juice now.
- November 19, 2022 at 2:49 pm #26525
I have a feeling this one is going to be targeting with the way some of these calls have gone (including Vanderbilt’s player being ejected)
- November 19, 2022 at 2:49 pm #26526
Miller’s ejected. Brutal. Absolutely brutal
- November 19, 2022 at 2:51 pm #26527
There goes Miller for the rest of this game and the first half next week.
- November 19, 2022 at 2:51 pm #26528
Would have been a TFL, but Umanmielen gave Davis momentum with that swing
- November 19, 2022 at 2:52 pm #26529
So now we are without Miller for the first half against FSU. This came can’t get much worse.
- November 19, 2022 at 2:54 pm #26530
Florida gives up yet another third-down conversion. Now the clock becomes the enemy – and if we’re being honest, Napier hasn’t shown that he is much of a game manager this season.
- November 19, 2022 at 2:56 pm #26531
Gator ball. Beautiful coverage. Gators have life
- November 19, 2022 at 2:56 pm #26532
Another Vanderbilt first down. THey are now 8-of-12 on third down conversions.
- November 19, 2022 at 2:56 pm #26533
Marshall with the huge pick. Florida still has life.
- November 19, 2022 at 3:01 pm #26534
Does UF understand that the clock is running and they are down by two scores?
- November 19, 2022 at 3:02 pm #26535
Unimaginative, boring, predictable playcalling.
- November 19, 2022 at 3:03 pm #26536Bd489ITG Subscriber
A deep ball on 4th and 3 with an erratic qb. BRILLIANT.
- November 19, 2022 at 3:03 pm #26537
So is Richardson not running to a avoid getting hurt before the draft?
- November 19, 2022 at 3:04 pm #26538
Worst play calling and QB play since Doug Dickey.
- November 19, 2022 at 3:04 pm #26539
I’m no NFL scout, but I really don’t know how some think Richardson is a first round talent. He’s got a lot of skill, but some of the plays he’s made and his refusal to run it today is a massive red flag.
- November 19, 2022 at 3:08 pm #26540
Richardson has played a horrible game today but I think he still plans on entering the draft.
- November 19, 2022 at 3:09 pm #26541
31-18. Florida needs two touchdowns in a little over four minutes.
- November 19, 2022 at 3:10 pm #26542
And the honeymoon is officially over for Napier
- November 19, 2022 at 3:13 pm #26543
Daejon Reynolds must be given credit for his performance today, but that drop was completely on him. Another incomplete pass and its 4th down
- November 19, 2022 at 3:14 pm #26544
REYNOLDS MAKES UP FOR IT.
His second TD of the day.
- November 19, 2022 at 3:16 pm #26545
Reynolds hauls this one in. But another miscue from the Florida special teams.
- November 19, 2022 at 3:20 pm #26546
Special teams have been horrible this season, everyone knows that. But of course, they get magnified in a game like this.
- November 19, 2022 at 3:21 pm #26547
91-yards, 46 seconds left.
Game on the line.
This should be the final drive. TD + PAT ties it
- November 19, 2022 at 3:22 pm #26548
No point in slinging it a man 5 yards from him.
- November 19, 2022 at 3:25 pm #26549
8 seconds left, Florida across the 50. Do you take two shots or one short pass and one shot?
- November 19, 2022 at 3:27 pm #26550
Why did Shorter dive for that?
Richardson launched it nowhere near the end zone.
Honeymoon over, that was an inexcusable loss even if it is year-one.
- November 19, 2022 at 3:28 pm #26551
How do you throw it out of the end zone on the final play? Give your guys a chance AR.
- November 19, 2022 at 3:37 pm #26555
- November 19, 2022 at 3:37 pm #26556
Florida won the total yardage (445-283) game within the game (which would be considered a win by Dan Mullen), but too many mistakes lead to a 31-24 loss.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.