- This topic has 16 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 3 weeks, 4 days ago by Zackary Weiss.
- February 22, 2023 at 9:22 pm #31931
Following their 8 point loss to the Wildcats, Gators head coach Todd Golden and select players will address the media. Follow along here for live updates.
- February 22, 2023 at 9:27 pm #31935
Now on the podium: Kowacie Reeves, Riley Kugel
- February 22, 2023 at 9:28 pm #31936
Kugel says while Kentucky did go on a run early, they knew they could get back into it.
“I feel like everybody’s mindset is just to get it done.”
- February 22, 2023 at 9:29 pm #31937
Kugel calls “Coach Cal” a “legendary coach” and says it’s nice to get that confidence from him.
Kentucky head coach John Calipari spoke to Kugel’s ability shortly before Kugel and Reeves walked into the press conference room.
- February 22, 2023 at 9:30 pm #31938
Reeves says they’ve “proven they can go toe-to-toe” with anyone, so the way they fought against Kentucky — even without Colin — was “no surprise.”
- February 22, 2023 at 9:31 pm #31939
Kugel says running the floor and getting transition looks is a key for this team, that it’s what kept them in games.
- February 22, 2023 at 9:32 pm #31940
Kugel says that he tries not to think back to the beginning of the season because he doesn’t want to slip back into the less-confident mindset he had then, that he’s much more confident now and getting to his spots is “easier.”
- February 22, 2023 at 9:34 pm #31941
Now on the podium: Todd Golden
- February 22, 2023 at 9:35 pm #31942
“I thought we battled … I kind of challenged our team today.”
Golden says a point of emphasis was 14 vs. 5 — talking about how Kentucky “doesn’t play their bench a lot” and how they could use that to their advantage.
- February 22, 2023 at 9:36 pm #31943
Golden says he’s happy with how the team played offensively, he also says the defense wasn’t good enough and points out rebounding as “the reason we lost.”
- February 22, 2023 at 9:36 pm #31944
“Tshiebwe is one of, if not the best, rebounders in the country,” Golden says.
- February 22, 2023 at 9:37 pm #31945
Now, without Colin, obviously, our defense goes down a significant amount,” Golden says. Adds that they now have to restructure the way they play on that end of the floor, and that Niels Lane is going to play a big role in that.
- February 22, 2023 at 9:38 pm #31946
“It’s a lot to put on a freshman, but he’s done a great job,” Golden says on Riley Kugel. Adds that the development he’s seen in Kugel is what he and this program hopes to see from all freshman.
- February 22, 2023 at 9:39 pm #31947
On Kugel: “He’s just becoming a really complete player.”
- February 22, 2023 at 9:40 pm #31948
“We expect him to be great player at Florida, and he’s doing a great job. He’s on his way there,” Golden continues on Kugel.
- February 22, 2023 at 9:43 pm #31949
Golden says he thinks they wore them down going into the half, which is why they were able to go on their run, but that Kentucky was able to gather themselves at the half.
- February 22, 2023 at 9:43 pm #31950
That’s all from the press conference.
Read the game recap here: https://insidethegators.com/instant-analysis-florida-falls-to-kentucky-despite-valiant-effort-down-the-stretch/
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.