Florida vs. Georgia Press Conference (10/29)

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • Author
      Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

Following the Gators’ loss to UGA, Billy Napier and select players will address the media. Follow along with this thread for live updates.

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

Now on the podium: Billy Napier

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

“Not good enough” – Napier’s first words in his opening statement

Talking about how he needs to coach better and the players need to play better, about how the loss is on everyone.

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

“I think the key here is that we continue to learn from our experience.”

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

“Ton of respect for the football team that Georgia has.”

Talking about knowing what the program has to do and change in order to be able to compete with the best teams in the country

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

Napier talking about the evaluation and recruitment.

“It’s important.”

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

He said that the team had a positive halftime and came out with fire in the third. He agreed that they may have gotten a bit tired once it became a 1-score game and that may have been cause for UGA getting the momentum back.

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

Napier said he told the team this in the locker room after the loss, looking at a ton of “dissapointed faces:”

“As long as I’m coaching here, we’re going to play this game for the people we’re playing it with.”

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

“This game, often times, is not so much about what you do. But, rather, how you do it.”

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

“I’ve heard his name my entire life,” Napier said about Coach Dooley.

Calls him a “class act”

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

Now on the podium: Anthony Richardson

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

Richardson says that Napier’s halftime message was just about “coming together” and “being aggressive.”

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

“I wouldn’t say that it’s hard to break. They just have great guys.” — AR on the Georgia defense and whether it’s hard to break

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

“We just try to take the good things… improve on those — take the bad… throw it away.”

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

“I don’t really know. It’s kind of hard to compare yourself to someone else.”

AR on how his Gators compare to Georgia

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

“They’re a great team. We believe we’re a great team. We’ve just got to improve on the small things.”

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

Now on the podium: Tyreak Sapp

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

On Napier’s halftime message to the locker room:

“We gotta pull together … every position group … tight knit, more together football.”

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

Says what happened is a product of how they played at certain moments.

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

“That’s the #1 team on the country” — Sapp on Georgia

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

Says Browers is a “tough kid,” especially praising what he’s got “between the ears.”
      Adds, however, that there is always a way to stop somebody.

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

On Amari Burney, Sapp has nothing but praise. Speaks to his resilience and work-ethic.

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

That concludes the presser.

Mark Wheeler
      Forum Owner

Courtesy Florida Sports Information:

Billy Napier

On recruiting…
      “Evaluation of recruitment is always important. To go where we want to go, to win an SEC
      Championship, to win a divisional championship, to win our conference, to win a National
      Championship you got to do it all really well. You got to evaluate. You got to recruit. You got to develop. You got to impact who they are as people. Those are all areas that we wake up every day and we work extremely hard at. There’s no question that evaluation of recruitment is very important.”

On the comeback effort…
      “We got it to one score, and they rushed the ball very effective in that possession and ended up
      scoring a touchdown to get it back to two scores. We will watch the film and we will see a lot of areas that we can do better. We can coach better, and we can play better. But yes, they got the momentum back when they scored. I think in that drive they rushed the ball primarily after the quarterback had thrown a handful of interceptions.”

On halftime adjustments…
      “We got a lot of work left to do. I think that it was one of the things that the players felt like needed to improve. One of the things you do, that I really believe in, is that you ask a lot of questions in the beginning. Where are we? What are the issues? What are the things that we need to resolve? I think that togetherness was one of those things. I think how hard you play is a reflection of what type of teammate you are. When you turn the tape on, if you are loafing, if there’s a lack of effort on the film, then you are not a very good teammate. I think you start there. I told the players in the locker room just now, ‘As long as I’m coaching here, we are going to play this game for the people that we play it with.’ I think that that takes time to develop. I think that we are getting somewhere in that regard.”

On challenging the team…
      “We walked into the locker room with a lot of disappointed players, that were emotional, that care, that have passion, that want to do their job for the team. There’s an old war term called a ‘foxhole guy.’ A guy that you can trust. A guy that is loyal. A guy that you can turn your back from and know that he is going to do what he is supposed to do and you’re doing the same thing on your side. I think this game, there’s no comparison military wise, but I think there’s some things that we can learn a lesson from relative to those intangibles.”

Mark Wheeler
      Forum Owner

Anthony Richardson

On being more aggressive with the run game in the second half…
      “I was just trying to play physical. Get the ball moving, you know, get the offense rolling a little bit. Obviously, we couldn’t move it that well in the first half, so I tried to help us a little bit and tried to be a little bit more physical on the ground.”

On what the struggles on the first few series were a product of…
      “A little bit of both. They had a great pass rush. Our communication was a little off. We didn’t execute that well, and they executed a little better than we did. So, that was pretty much it.”

On scoring 17-straight points after going down 28-3…
      “That’s just us. That’s nothing new for us. We’ve been in plenty of games like that before this year and we’ve always fought through it. So, that’s just us. That’s just how we play ball. We try not to put ourselves in a hole like that early, but that’s just how we play ball. We like to fight and just play aggressive.”

On what makes Georgia’s defense hard to break…
      “I wouldn’t say that it’s hard to break. They just have big guys on their team. They have a great scheme. Whenever you have a team like that, it’s pretty easy for them to run their assignments and do what they do. If they have 11 people doing their job, it’s kind of hard to affect them and stop them. But, they have a great defense and a great scheme…”

On what he saw on the 78-yard touchdown to Xzavier Henderson…
      “That’s just looking at the coverage. The call we had there was basically like a quick out to Ricky [Pearsall] and I was looking to throw that, but I saw the corner squat, and I just knew the hole shot was going to be there eventually, so I waited and I saw Xzavier there, and he just ran.”

Mark Wheeler
      Forum Owner

Tyreak Sapp

On what the halftime message was from Coach Napier…
      “The message was just, ‘pull together, we’ve got to come together. We’ve got to be tight knit throughout every position group. Everybody on the team. Offense, defense, we got to be complementary to each other. We got to come out in that second half, and we’ve got to play better, more-tight knit and more together football.’ That’s it.”

On having three takeaways while also giving up 500-plus yards…
      “You got to kind of take it for what it is. You’ve got to look at it, you got to kind of accept and you got to understand that what happened was a product of how we played at times. And then the good things that we made happen were things that we had to make happen… The better we play together as a team, as a defense, the better outcomes we had.”

On what lessons they take from Georgia…
      “That’s the number-one team in the country. They have every right to that. And we just got to understand, we got to evaluate ourselves and understand what happened today. What happened and how can we build on this? How can we build on ourselves as a team and as an organization? Just how can we build on that and be better from all the mistakes, just everything that happened. Just coming together better as a team and just playing more complimentary football. That’s all.”

On Brock Bowers…
      “That’s a tough kid. He’s very smart in between the ears. Kid knows what he’s doing. He can go out there, he can slice you up. He’s fast. He’s all big, fast. Everything that you expect out of that guy. But you know, it’s always a way to stop somebody. We all put on our cleats the same. There’s always a way to stop somebody.”

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Never miss the latest news from Inside the Gators!

Join our free email list