Billy Napier Press Availability: 9/7/22

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • Author
      Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

Billy Napier and select players will be meeting with the media at approximately 6:30 to preview this week’s matchup vs. Kentucky. Follow along right here for live updates.

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

Napier: “We’re extremely excited to announce that the Kentucky game is sold out.”

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

On Ricky Pearsall: He proved his worth and dependability last week.

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

“We’re gonna do everything that we can do win the game. We never hold anything back.”

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

Napier says they have work to do when it comes to discipline and decision-making. “We need to improve in those areas.”

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

On if he is pleased with Anthony Richardson’s decision making Saturday: “Very much so … He understands what’s going on out there.”

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

On pressure: “These venues, these environments, this league, this level … It’s really an opportunity … As soon as I see the word pressure in my mind I think ‘opportunity’.”

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

On if having the game at the same time back-to-back week helps: “Definitely.”

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

On Cam Rising: “He’s tough.” Napier emphasizing how they’ve got to win more 1 on 1s and really get to the quarterback, not let Rising run free.

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

On addressing the Gators No. 12 ranking with the team, Napier said he didn’t. The team doesn’t pay any attention to that whatsoever.

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

On Tyreak Sapp: “He represents everything we want our football players to be.”

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

“Football is a game that is about people, strategy and competition. If you ever put competition at the top of that list, you’re not going to get the return you want.”

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

Now on the podium: Kingsley Eguakun

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

On the AP poll: “I’m happy to be ranked No. 12 … It’s fun to see it.”

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

Eguakan says that while the team acknowledges last year’s loss to Kentucky, it isn’t something they really ever talk about.

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

On Anthony Richardson’s 2-point conversion: “We saw him do it twice in training camp.” Says it “wasn’t anything crazy.”

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

“I like Montrell [Johnson] a lot. I think he’s a good player, hard worker.”

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

On Dan Mullen ranking them fourth in the SEC East: “We joked about it the day it came out.” Says the locker room was well-aware.

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

Now on the podium: Ricky Pearsall

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

Pearsall said that there is definitely a difference in the atmosphere between the SEC and PAC-12. “The Swamp is different.”

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

On being in the transfer portal, Pearsall says that Billy Napier made him want to be here.

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

Pearsall on playing with Anthony Richardson: “It’s a blessing.”

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

Continuing… “He’s got a rocket for an arm. He could throw it across the whole field if he wanted to.”

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

On his dad’s influence on him: “He’s my biggest critic.” Says he and his dad started throwing the football when he was two years old, still gets texts to this day on individual plays.

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

Pearsall on the Kentucky game selling out: “I think that’s amazing … We need to sellout every game.”

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

Now on the podium: Jason Marshall Jr.

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

Marshall on the Swamp selling out again: “It helps us … I feel like that helps the defense a lot.”

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

On Devin Moore: “He had a great game, was thrown right into the fire … He grew tremendously understanding the game.” Says his ball skills, size and understanding of the game help him succeed.

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

“Last year, things were going wrong.” Marshall says that there was a lot of cursing each other out, something that doesn’t happen now under Napier – they’ve really “came together” as a team, which is something Napier emphasizes emphatically.

Zackary Weiss
      ITG Subscriber

That’s all from the press conference.

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Never miss the latest news from Inside the Gators!

Join our free email list