Billy Napier and Select Players Media Availability (9/14/22)

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
      Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

Coming up shortly, Billy Napier and select players will be meeting with the media to recap last weekend’s loss to Kentucky and preview this weekend’s game against USF. Follow along for live updates:

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

“I think our teams… are making progress relative to speaking the language.”

Napier discussed how he talked to the team about a documentary on Russell Wilson where he talked about seeing the entire field (all 22 players).

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

On being favorites against USF: “One week at a time. As cliche as it sounds, I think it reality.”

Said the challenge is having the self-discipline to follow through, which extends to all parts of the organization, not just the players.

“I don’t care who we play, we are consumed with improving.”

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

On getting over the loss to Kentucky: “I don’t know if I would necessarily describe it as a hangover.”

Said it’s more like a speeding ticket, where it happens and you have to move on immediately.

Napier said the team is learning how to play winning football: “Sometime’s it’s got to happen to you for you to understand the importance of conversion downs.”

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

Michael Tarquin and Ventrell Miller will not play against USF. Napier did not give a timetable for return.

On Adam Mihalek winning the kicking job: “He’s got ability and he’s got skill that he wants to develop.”

Says Trey Smack is a good kickoff guy and is getting healthy.

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

On Jack Miller III: “He’s not quite ready.”

Said that the timetable they give is more subjective. It was the same injury as Drew Brees, which his timetable was what they said about Miller III.

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

On Scooby Wright: “It’s a great opportunity.”

Said the group is separated by veterans (Miller and Burney) and those who haven’t played, but that doesn’t mean they haven’t worked hard for opportunities.

When he knew he had to replace Miller, he thought of who would replace him as the communicator on defense.

“I know they are working extremely hard.”

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

On Justus Boone: Said Boone is one of the guys Napier is most excited to see have success because of his off-field growth during the offseason.

“Better humans make better football players.”

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

On what he would grade himself through two games: “I don’t know if I’m into giving grades.”

Said the goal is to continually get better week-to-week, and it’s more about efficiency and consistency.

Napier is done.

Next Napier availability: post-game vs. USF

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

Justus Boone is here.

On his sack: Said his mindset going into a play is always to get a hit on the QB.

Said getting a sack on his first full drive felt incredible.

The targeting call scared him because he was worried on not being available to help the team, but when it was overturned, he was just as happy.

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

On improving on and off the field: “I really just snapped into it last year.”

Said that because he didn’t play much last season so he focused on keeping his head down.

On leading the DL chant before the game: Said it wasn’t about winning the chant but being eager to lead it.

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

On rallying around each other with Ventrell Miller out: Said it’s about having player collectivity as a team. They need to communicate as a team and help each other out.

On Scooby Wright getting the start: Said he was another guy who kept his head down while not playing, and it paid off. Added he stepped up last week when the team needed him.

On putting the loss behind him: “I don’t think I’ll ever put a loss behind me.”

On why he wears the number 12: He wore 6 in high school, but since it wasn’t available, he chose 12 as it was a family number.

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

On Shemar James: “Shemar’s going to be a crazy good player.”

Said that the entire defense needs to focus on communicating, but the linebackers especially.

On refocusing against USF after a loss: Said Coach Spencer said to never disrespect an opponent.

On Anthony Richardson: Said he’s been “as sharp as ever” this week in practice.

Boone is done.

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

Adam Mihalek is here.

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

On hitting the 50-yard field goal: “Hitting something like that in a game is pretty special.”

On the competition between him and Trey Smack: Said the competition has brought out the best in both of them. Additionally, playing soccer growing up gave him a competitive edge.

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

On his football journey: “The football coach came up to me my junior year and said, ‘Hey you want to kick for the football team,’ and I said, ‘Sure, I got nothing else better to do.”

He had multiple PWO offers, but Florida was the clear choice.

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

On adjustments this season: Said most kickers have a jab-step, but he changed it to a two-step. Additionally, he focused on straightening his plant step.

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

On figuring out his range for a game: Said it has to do with weather and field condition mostly.

On hitting a 50-yd field goal in front of a sold-out crowd: Said he’s already a confidence guy, but that obviously builds it.

On the pressure of kicking in front of a large crowd: Said he doesn’t feel pressure and “treats every kick the same.”

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

On his recruitment: Said he was leaning towards Navy because of a scholarship offer and family ties, but he always wanted to go to a big school.

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

On Jeremy Crawshaw: Crawshaw said he can’t kickoff, and Mihalek and Smack have tried to help him, but he said Crawshaw is a lost cause. Said he kicks line-drives.

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

Fun fact: Mihalek is a dual-citizen. He is a Slovakian-US dual-citizen. Mom is from Czechoslovakia.

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

On Crawshaw being on the leadership team, even as a special teams guy. Says he’s super uplifting and about the next rep.

“He’ll be saying,’Get your mind right.'”

Said his Australian accent makes some things sound funny, but that the team can tell when he’s talking about something serious.

Mihalek is done.

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Never miss the latest news from Inside the Gators!

Join our free email list