Billy Napier and Select Players Media Availability (11/9/22)

Viewing 33 reply threads
  • Author
      Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

Coming up shortly, Billy Napier and select players will be meeting with the media for the final time this week before they host South Carolina on Saturday. Follow along for live updates.

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

Livestream for Napier’s PC: https://www.youtube.com/c/gatorsfb

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

Napier has arrived.

He opened up by discussing how military members have visited and spoke with the team twice this week and gave them a lot of perspective.

“We’ve had some really unique opportunities to invite some really important people.”

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

On ball control and controlling the game clock: Said that the defense getting off the field early plays an equal role as the offense staying on the field.

“We’re still searching for that complete game where we play well in all three phases for all four quarters.”

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

On receivers blocking out in the perimeter: “If you don’t want to block, you can stand by me.”

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

On South Carolina’s gadget plays: “They’re No. 1 in the league in field-position differential.”

Said they have to make sure to cover special teams and watch out for those gadget plays throughout the game.

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

On the leadership of the 18 seniors in his first season: “Some of these guys in particular in a lot of different ways.”

Said that he’s seen a lot of character growth and high quality leadership from what he calls a special group.

Adds that he thinks the players are more resilient than the coaching staff due to constant change in staff and systems. Said there’s a lot of pros, including staff turnover in the NFL, and cons to it.

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

On recruiting in the last home game: Said they’ve been intentional about getting players in, but it’s been slightly difficult with HS playoff games being moved to Saturday.

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

On freshmen’s playing time possibly being detrimental to growth: Said he believes that the biggest area of growth comes after the first season of serious playing time.

Said that with game-time plus 8-9 months of prep in the offseason leads to significant improvement from year one to year two.

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

On Justin Shorter: On a modified practice schedule, still questionable and they’ll see it throughout the week.

Ja’Quavion Fraziars is out with a significant shoulder injury.

Napier says we’ll see a lot of Marcus Burke and Caleb Douglas on Saturday.

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

On his senior day outline: “I have no clue. We’ll show up, take pictures, do my part.”

Jokingly says, “We’ll quality control it when it’s over.”

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

On the reason for military appreciation: Said that he’s had personal experiences with military members that led him to appreciate them.

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

Napier is done. Amari Burney is next.

Despite participating in senior day last year, Burney said he knew that he was going to return after conversations with Dan Mullen.

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

On his most memorable moment: His INT against Utah to open up the Napier-era.

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

On playing Spencer Rattler again: Said that the guys from the 2020 team joked that they thought they would never play him again, but they have an opportunity to get one back against him.

Said the key is to keep him in the pocket.

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

On his relationships with Ventrell Miller and Trey Dean III: Said it took a while to build relationships due to his shyness, but once he started rooming with Dean and spending time with Miller as his position-mate, the relationship grew.

Said that they can cuss at each other, yell at each other and talk like friends with each other.

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

On his favorite non-football memory, Burney said the team got “a little turnt” after the Utah game, but he doesn’t want to go into too many details.

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

On what Trey Dean III brings to the table: “I’m not a big talker, but when I make a big play, I know Trey Dean will be talking for me.”

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

On their loss to SC last year:

Said last year’s team is last year’s team and this year’s team is this year’s. Two completely different teams, so it doesn’t have any major affect on them. They want to get one back.

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

On the future of the program: “They in good hands, great hands as a matter of fact.”

Said he’s told the coaches that he wishes he had them for four years, and he makes sure that the young guys, mainly Shemar James, knows that.

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

Burney said he doesn’t have any regrets about his time at UF.

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

On Shemar James: Said he’s picked up the game quickly. So much so, he’s actually taken notes from James’ play, especially how to get off blocks.

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

On his spot in the NFL: Just said that he doesn’t care what he plays, whether it’s MLB or a big nickel, he just wants to play on Sunday.

Burney is done. Richard Gouraige is here

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

Gouraige said he remembers like it was yesterday when he first walked onto campus. Said he wants to cherish every moment on Saturday

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

Gouraige said he remembers like it was yesterday when he first walked onto campus. Said he wants to cherish every moment on Saturday

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

On the bond in the OL room: Said that their motto is 5=1, and that they have been passing those lessons and advice down to the younger guys.

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

On lining up and making big hits on the guy across from him: “That’s what you’re in the SEC for.”

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

On Austin Barber: “He’s like my little brother… just teach him little things I wish the older guys taught me when I was here.”

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

On the satisfaction of being one of the best UF OL groups in a while: Said it started in January when they dedicated themselves to being one of the best in the country. Said it’s super gratifying.

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

On Napier’s message of being a good teammate: Said he wants to be to the young guys what guys like Martez Ivey and Jawaan Taylor were for him when he was younger.

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

On the off-field impact of the new coaching staff: “I’m glad (Napier) brought in these coaches.”

Said it doesn’t matter what position, they can go to any coach to ask for football or life advice at moment. Adds that this also comes from the guest speakers the staff brings in.

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

On family coming to the game and emotions running: “My mom, she’s a big ol’ teddy bear.”

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

Although Gouraige is participating in Senior Day, he said he’s undecided on if he will declare for the NFL or return, as he’ll still have eligibility left.

Cam Parker
      ITG Staff

Gouraige is done. That concludes the press availability tonight.

Viewing 33 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Never miss the latest news from Inside the Gators!

Join our free email list