Mullen's main problem is recruiting

1,107 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Swamp_Thing
UFgator52-20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think we have to get some more assistants who are good at recruiting in here.

If you look at it and be honest with yourself are we going to be able to take the next step with the recruiting we are getting?

I say no.
G8rJD
I don't think I can be optimistic about anything significant anymore
upstateg8tor
We said this a year ago too.

I'm of the belief that if & when this lockdown-lite is lifted it will be a whole new ballgame with recruiting. We will see decommits & flips at an unprecedented level. As Mark pointed out in another thread, many of these spring commits are nothing more than place setters due to the uncertainty around pandemic. The discouraging part is no one seems to be place setting here.

No question Knox & English are liabilities on the trail. BG & Hevesy aren't much better either, though they are exceptional coaches. The biggest problem ...and I've been harping on this for a while now ...is money. Staff budget, support staff, third party aid, travel and "fringe benefits" ...yes, that. We simply don't invest enough into the recruiting apparatus to complete with the usual suspects. It is light years better than what it was 4 years ago but not nearly as big and not nearly as polished as the ones at OSU, Bama and UGA.
Swamp_Thing
UFgator52-20 said:

I think we have to get some more assistants who are good at recruiting in here.

If you look at it and be honest with yourself are we going to be able to take the next step with the recruiting we are getting?

I say no.
Graylon
I believe it starts with Mullen... how much emphasis does he put on his coaches to be better in recruiting. There's no coincidence that every time that he gets a new position coach that all of a sudden the recruiting gets better. I'm not one that believes that we have to have a top-five class to compete. I believe that we just have to get the main impact players in our state. You can't let a guy like Bowman go to Clemson when he is right up the street from you you can't let I got like Williams go to Miami. You can't let all of the top offensive lineman in your area go to Georgia. The only reason we got Josh Braun has because he fell in our lap.. as quick as Mullen comes up with a game plan he has to come up with one for recruiting he's got to do something.
upstateg8tor
Unless we address what I stated above it's really not going to matter. We will still lose out to the above mentioned schools with top 50 type players.
Graylon
I truly agree
OrangeandBlue
There was a chart after the game this year about how much better UGA recruits than us but I thought it said we are getting closer to them.

We had one 5 star then and now we have 4.

We are ranked ahead of them this year overall but they have a better recruit average.
Mark Wheeler
Staff
We took a closer look at the Florida and Georgia rosters after last year's loss.

https://insidethegators.com/s/1788/on-the-mark-widening-talent-gap-has-to-be-a-cause-for-concern
gator rising
We have 1 commitment since junior day and he was only a 3 star.

Why did we start doing these online visits so late when everyone else was doing them in April?

We need to start getting some good news.
G8rJD
Charles Montgomery is our next chance at good news on 5/24...then it's all up in the air
JD
UFgator52-20
Before any of you jump on this new QB being ranked so low recruiting QB is where I would take Mullen's judgement over a recruiting analysts ranking.

Look at what he has done with Prescott, Fitzgerald and Trask.

The other 21 positions we can be unhappy about recruiting but if Mullen likes a quarterback that's good enough for me.
UFgator52-20
You remember when I said this 3 months ago
Bulldog1987
So....you were saying?
1bigg8rindade
Bulldog1987 said:

So....you were saying?

He is still right. Mullen's main problem is that he isn't a very good recruiter.
Go Gators TJ
UFgator52-20 said:

Is it time to change your mind after Marshall and Collier?

He might not be Urban Meyer but we have a class that is #2 by Rivals.
Swamp_Thing
Go Gators TJ said:

UFgator52-20 said:

Is it time to change your mind after Marshall and Collier?

He might not be Urban Meyer but we have a class that is #2 by Rivals.

Maybe we wait until national signing day? We're just inside the top 10 when looking at average recruit rating. I mean it really doesn't matter what you ranked in the middle of the season, it matters what you are ranked after the season.
Pigator314
Things are looking up right now. Del Rio looks like one of the best QBs in the country. And we are going to do great on the DL and the secondary this class. LB is a question mark right now. Lots can happen there.

WR group is a good group. We don't have an elite player there, though it is a solid group. The TE group is solid. OL is dragging the class down unfortunately.
Swamp_Thing
Pigator314 said:

Things are looking up right now. Del Rio looks like one of the best QBs in the country. And we are going to do great on the DL and the secondary this class. LB is a question mark right now. Lots can happen there.

WR group is a good group. We don't have an elite player there, though it is a solid group. The TE group is solid. OL is dragging the class down unfortunately.

Offensive recruiting under this staff is baffling.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.