Florida vs Georgia game thread (all game talk in here)

511 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 19 days ago by Romeg8r
Mark Wheeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Florida takes on Georgia at 7:00 p.m. in ExacTech Arena in a game being shown on ESPNU.

Chris will be court-side sharing his thoughts and observations during the game and writing an Instant Analysis after it.

PRE-GAME NOTES
LIVE STATS
Romeg8r
I know I say this every game but Blackshear misses way to many shots right at the basket.
Romeg8r
I honestly believe that if Florida loses tonight the new coaching search will begin in earnest.
Romeg8r
Apparently I'm the only one watching the game. Can't blame you. This is horrid. I'm about to look for Andy Griffith reruns
chrisortega1096
I have a few observations at the half:

- The record has taken its toll on the team. At this point in the season, they look as though they're struggling to maintain a consistent level of effort on both ends of the floor.

- Try all he can, Nembhard is the only one attempting to dig this team out of its rut. He has six points.

- Anthony Edwards is a very talented player, and Florida has had no answer tonight. He leads all scorers with 18 points.

- That said, Georgia's scoring tonight is very top-heavy. Besides Edwards, no other Bulldog has double-digit scoring tonight. If Florida finds an answer to slow him down, they could have a chance to take this game back.

- Just because they're down, there's still another half of play. They've had comebacks this season, so it's not beyond ordinary if they were to crawl back from their 15-point deficit to win the game. If they want to do that, it's going to take a more concerted effort playing a great brand of team defense. They were one of the nation's best in the first half of the season at defense for a reason.
chrisortega1096
Scottie Lewis looks like he's fine after getting rattled by that pick earlier. Glad to see it was nothing serious
chrisortega1096
Nine turnovers for Florida have allowed Georgia to score 13 off those mistakes.
chrisortega1096
Anthony Edwards might be the best player Florida has seen all season. The kid is a real difference-maker.
chrisortega1096
Could White had made adjustments for Edwards at the half? Possibly, but the freshman has the talent to overcome most obstacles placed in his way.
chrisortega1096
Another turnover for Florida
Romeg8r
chrisortega1096 said:

Anthony Edwards might be the best player Florida has seen all season. The kid is a real difference-maker.
And yet Georgia is 2-6 in conference play. Let's face it, this is just a very bad basketball team. NONE of these players are playing up to their potential. NONE of these players shoot well at all. There is no evidence of player development. I've defended Mike White for a very long time, but if this score holds up, it is time to end this experiment and move in another direction.
chrisortega1096
With the fact that he signed a contract extension late last year, it's unlikely they move on from him unless something catastrophic happens. Also, Edwards can be both the best player Florida has faced while being on one of the most mediocre teams he's faced.
Romeg8r
chrisortega1096 said:

Could White had made adjustments for Edwards at the half? Possibly, but the freshman has the talent to overcome most obstacles placed in his way.
And yet, six other SEC teams found a way to place obstacles he couldn't overcome.
chrisortega1096
White's switch to zone might be successful at forcing Georgia to change their offense
chrisortega1096
You're not wrong. This game has done an excellent job at highlighting his weaknesses as a coach
chrisortega1096
Florida is already in the bonus with 13 minutes remaining.
Romeg8r
chrisortega1096 said:

With the fact that he signed a contract extension late last year, it's unlikely they move on from him unless something catastrophic happens. Also, Edwards can be both the best player Florida has faced while being on one of the most mediocre teams he's faced.
I doubt contract will be the deciding factor. In my opinion, if this team with all of the perceived talent it has, fails to make the NCAA tourney (which a loss tonight would make much more likely) there will be heavy pressure to move on. Maybe White can figure something out and they can come back in this game. But this would be an atrocious loss.
chrisortega1096
Keyontae Johnson is willing this Florida team back to life
chrisortega1096
It looks bad if you hand someone an extension then let them go months later. It's hard to convince the next hire that you can believe in him in the event the team starts to struggle -- which is always a possibility.
chrisortega1096
If this were 2021, I would believe White would be on the hot seat but it's too soon to call the search for his replacement when the ink barely dried on the contract
Romeg8r
Let's just come back and win this game and put the conversation on hold for a while.
chrisortega1096
Andrew Nembhard gives Florida the lead, 59-57
chrisortega1096
Florida is on a 19-2 run in the last five minutes. They seem to have found their energy late in the game.
chrisortega1096
Four of Florida's players have scored in double-digits. Only two have done the same for Georgia
Romeg8r
Have to hold on and avoid the really bad loss. That would cure a lot of ills.
chrisortega1096
After being down fifteen at the half, Florida wins 81-75
Mark Wheeler
Staff
Romeg8r
It was all kinds of ugly, but you have to give this team credit that they never give up.
Page 1 of 1

Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.