Tuesday's Take: UF Needs to Throw the Ball More

365 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by ChicagoGator
Ethan Hughes
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Dan Mullen obviously likes to center his offense around a power rushing attack, with some play-action passes and run-pass options to complement it. However, I believe it is in the Gators' best interest to use the pass to set up the run. They averaged just 1.9 yards-per-carry against Miami and struggled to get consistent push against UT Martin's three-man front, including Feleipe Franks getting stuffed on a fourth-and-short play. Conversely, they've given up just two sacks, and one of them was probably Franks' fault. The Gators are averaging 283 yards passing per game, which is fourth in the conference. They're also fourth in passing efficiency. They've got a ton of weapons at wide receiver that haven't been used enough. Van Jefferson, Trevon Grimes, Tyrie Cleveland and Freddie Swain have combined for just 16 catches and two touchdowns. I get that this is a rushing-based offense, but that just doesn't fit this team's identity right now. They might get there by the end of the season, but for now, the passing game is ahead of the running game by a considerable margin. I'm not saying they need to adopt the Air Raid, but I think they need to throw it about 60 percent of the time.
BeardedGator
Have to establish a run game to open up the passing game, if you throw with Frank's against SEC DB's he will get picked off more times than he throws a TD strike. He can hit wide open recievers but hasnt yet shown he can consistently thread the needle with a catchable ball in coverage.
G8rJD
You can also argue that like spurrier said it's works the other way around too...if you back up the defense because of passing it opens up running lanes to gouge them with long runs
Flavorgator39
With perine and pierce, we should be pounding the rock between the tackles. They'll wear down any defense. Hit them with Davis on the east and west running plays.
Swamp_Thing
Ethan Hughes said:

Dan Mullen obviously likes to center his offense around a power rushing attack, with some play-action passes and run-pass options to complement it. However, I believe it is in the Gators' best interest to use the pass to set up the run. They averaged just 1.9 yards-per-carry against Miami and struggled to get consistent push against UT Martin's three-man front, including Feleipe Franks getting stuffed on a fourth-and-short play. Conversely, they've given up just two sacks, and one of them was probably Franks' fault. The Gators are averaging 283 yards passing per game, which is fourth in the conference. They're also fourth in passing efficiency. They've got a ton of weapons at wide receiver that haven't been used enough. Van Jefferson, Trevon Grimes, Tyrie Cleveland and Freddie Swain have combined for just 16 catches and two touchdowns. I get that this is a rushing-based offense, but that just doesn't fit this team's identity right now. They might get there by the end of the season, but for now, the passing game is ahead of the running game by a considerable margin. I'm not saying they need to adopt the Air Raid, but I think they need to throw it about 60 percent of the time.

I'm going to disagree twice with you here. One I think they need to focus on the option more to open up the run game. They defenses are not respecting Franks ability to run the ball. Mixing in more read option, speed option, and RPOs would help in my opinion. Two I think they should adopt some air raid principles. Some of the most prolific offenses right now are air raid schemes or have air raid principles. You can also use some of these principles to help the run game as Washington St. and other do by using short passes as extended handoffs.
Bill Sikes
Agree with Swamp here. I get the feeling that Mullen is holding back in the running game and that we'll see more success on the ground when he opens up the playbook again. If that doesn't happen however, I'm not sure how good this offense will be as it gets into the meat of the schedule. As you said, this power spread is built to run first and it remains to be seen whether it can succeed without its bread and butter.
I'm just a rando fan...
ChicagoGator
We just need to run more plays in general. Need to create more possessions in the game and agree that airing it out some more is the way to do it.
Page 1 of 1

Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.