Florida's Class of 2019 is cause for Mullen to reevalute the recruiting process

1,793 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BeardedGator
Mark Wheeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
It looks like Florida is going to have to evaluate how they evaluate the academic side of recruiting after suffering three non-qualifiers in Diwun Black, Deyavie Hammond and Arjei Henderson this past cycle.

For perspective, the Gators only had one (McGriff in 2015) non-qualifier in the five previous classes.

Add in Jalon Jones and Chris Steele and five of Florida's Top 10 signees according to the 247 Sports Composite didn't make it to the first practice of fall camp.
JawGator84
Not ideal for a signing class but i believe we will be ok
gspoon2003
My personal opinion...Black and Henderson were players Mullen did right by taking a chance. If they qualify you look like a genius, if not, they go the Juco route and you possibly get them a few years down the road like Reggie Nelson.
ChicagoGator
You live and you learn. Doubt this ever happens again as Mullen learns UF has stricter standards than MSU.

That being said, he also has added talented transfers which have to be accounted for.
Romeg8r
Mullen came in under the gun and behind in recruiting. I imagine necessity dictated taking some players who were questionable academically.
Bill Sikes
JawGator84 said:

Not ideal for a signing class but i believe we will be ok
What are you basing that on?
I'm just a rando fan...
Bill Sikes
ChicagoGator said:

You live and you learn. Doubt this ever happens again as Mullen learns UF has stricter standards than MSU.

That being said, he also has added talented transfers which have to be accounted for.
Mullen has been an SEC head coach for 10 years. Sorry, but he doesn't get a "growing pains" break on this.

Also...

Removing the 5 who didn't make it, then adding players of identical value to Cox and Greenard puts UF at 13th nationally (and 7th in the SEC) in the composite. The transfers aren't enough to make up the difference, especially in a class that was already lacking.

I'm just a rando fan...
Bill Sikes
Romeg8r said:

Mullen came in under the gun and behind in recruiting. I imagine necessity dictated taking some players who were questionable academically.
This wasn't Mullen's 1st class. He was behind and did have to take these reaches late, but it was because of his own failures.
I'm just a rando fan...
ChicagoGator
Bill Sikes said:

ChicagoGator said:

Mullen has been an SEC head coach for 10 years. Sorry, but he doesn't get a "growing pains" break on this.

Also...

Removing the 5 who didn't make it, then adding players of identical value to Cox and Greenard puts UF at 13th nationally (and 7th in the SEC) in the composite. The transfers aren't enough to make up the difference, especially in a class that was already lacking.

So you think that he won't learn from it and will have several departures next year too? I understand the additions don't fully-bridge the gap, just saying they have to be accounted for. When you have roster spots open, it's better to take a chance on some of these guys than to not.

He now has a few additional scholarships for 2020 and let's see what he does with them.

Bill Sikes
ChicagoGator said:

Bill Sikes said:

ChicagoGator said:

Also...

So you think that he won't learn from it and will have several departures next year too? I understand the additions don't fully-bridge the gap, just saying they have to be accounted for. When you have roster spots open, it's better to take a chance on some of these guys than to not.

He now has a few additional scholarships for 2020 and let's see what he does with them.

What I'm saying is that you don't get to use the excuse of "this was a learning experience" after your 10th season as an SEC coach.
I'm just a rando fan...
BeardedGator
Adding transfers isnt going to make up for bringing in talented players with 4yrs of eligibility, especially at WR, LB and Secondary where we dont have young depth. Kelvin Joseph would be a nice stop gap but at this point I wouldn't think he's coming.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.