What's the worst acceptable outcome for basketball

933 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Romeg8r
From the Swamp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What do you think the worst acceptable outcome is for thought a basketball this year?

If we stay healthy isn't anything outside of an elite eight finish going to be a disappointment?
Ethan Hughes
Staff
My expectations for them are to finish first or second in the SEC, be a top-4 seed and advance to the second weekend of the tournament. The tournament's just so unpredictable that it's hard to consider a league championship and a Sweet 16 exit a disastrous season. Get to the Sweet 16, and let the chips fall where they may after that.
Eric-UF
Another year like last year...
---Go Gators!
deathtostatic
We need to beat FSU. Their streak is an embarrassment.
Bd489
With the level of talent we have I would be disappointed not making the elite 8. This team is a but like Kentucky a few years ago and we will have the benefit of some experience, the talent jump from freshman to sophomores and a few 5 star freshman. While anything can happen in the tournament, I would consider it a failure and you have to think the players would as well otherwise. Just my 2 cents.
upstateg8tor
Not advancing to the Elite 8 would be disappointing but I wouldn't call it a failure. If we finish 1st or 2nd in the SEC, beat FSU, finish the regular season with 24/25 wins and put a good product on the floor I don't know how we can complain. As Ethan said, the tournament us unpredictable and luck has a lot to do with it. Just look like a top 10-ish team and don't embarrass ourselves and I'll be ok with it.
G8rJD
Final four or bust
ChicagoGator
We have a better team than Kentucky, so our expectations are higher. Would their fans be happy with an elite 8 next year? No, probably not. So our expectation should be final 4.
upstateg8tor
A lot you are setting yourselves up for disappointment
Flavorgator39
I'm not sure what to expect really. We saw what coach white did with the players he inherited from Billy D. Based on his achievements with both his players and coach Donovan's, it's near impossible to say. I know we ran a lot of inexperienced players last year. But right now, he's the zook/muschamp of the basketball program. Recruit great, poor x's and o's
jagergator
Some of you guys just can't wait to crap on Coach White. It's embarrassing really. He's put together a solid roster right after the malcontents on this and other stupid message boards were giving him a hard time about not being able to build a roster. BTW, where's the apology from these fans now they've been proven wrong. Nope, time to go into trashing him again and setting him up for failure. I for one am looking forward to the season and cheering on my Gators. I think it's going to be a great season, and tough times for CMW haters.
Jasonkessler16
Very interesting question... So in my opinion, I definitely think the very worst acceptable outcome would be a Sweet 16 appearance AND to a win a SEC banner in the form of the regular season title and/or the conference tourney title. But all in all, would anything short of the Elite 8 or farther be a disappointment? I would have to say yes. Team is very talented and the last 2 years of underachievement definitely plays a part in the ramped up pressure of expectations that need to be hit for the upcoming season.
Bd489
I don't think this is us crapping on him. He has built the roster to have a potentially great season and having expectations of him shows that he has done a great job there. The second half of that is being a great coach and making it happen. Following a legend is never easy at any school, this is his first true team he built, let's hope he makes it happen!
Jasonkessler16
How so?
Flavorgator39
He has done a great job building the roster. He's done even better pulling in big time grad transfers. I for one have never questioned his recruiting. But I do question his ability to develop players. This year should be very telling. He has a roster full of dynamic, highly rated recruits. I'm not going to bad mouth him, ever really. But as I said before, what has he done to prove his coaching abilities yet?
Gatormon
The very worst acceptable outcome should be the Sweet 16. I would be happy to make it to the Elite 8 and very happy with the Final 4. We should hover around the Top 10 all year long. Beat Kentucky and FSU.
Romeg8r
I view every basketball season the same. Anything short of the Sweet 16 is a disappointment. Everything tree than a Sweet 16 is gravy.
Page 1 of 1

Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.