Spring Observation: Initial thoughts on the youngsters

Mark Wheeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Here are some quick initial impressions of the nine early enrollees and lone grad-transfer after just one practice.

Quarterback Jalon Jones - He actually went third behind Feleipe Franks and Emory Jones, but ahead of Kyle Trask, in a lot of the positional drills. He was on and off. He had a couple of nice completions on air, but then missed some badly during one-on-one drills, including throwing at the feet of one target and well over the head of another, who despite going up as high as he could, barely touched the ball. It was about what you would expect out of a true freshman early enrollee during his very first practice.

Offensive lineman Ethan White - Much was made of his weight on social media, and a thread here on the WCC, when Florida listed him at nearly 400-pounds. As I replied in the thread, seeing a photo that his mother posted over the weekend, he looked like he had dropped weight since the last time I saw him on campus a few weeks ago. Sure enough, Nick Savage said post-practice that he was down 35-37 pounds. On the field, he lined up at second team left guard and third team left tackle. He is a road grader type who is going to be better suited inside, at least until he loses at least another 25-30 pounds.

Offensive lineman Kingsley Eguakun - He goes right at 300-pounds, but carries it well. He lined up at second team center. I didn't notice any snap issues while I was watching him.

Offensive lineman Michael Tarquin - He came in with the second team line at right tackle, but if everyone is healthy, he would be with the third team. Of the four early enrollee linemen, he was the lightest with the most slender build. He looks like he will need a year in the weight room.

Offensive lineman William Harrod - Of the four EE linemen, he was the one who took the least amount of snaps. I don't know if he is limited health wise, or it's just because of the players in-front of him. He came in with the third team at right guard. He physically looks like he could play as a freshman.

Defensive end Jonathan Greenard - Yes, it was just one practice and the players were in shorts, but he looked the part on Tuesday coming out with the first team during the first 11-on-11 series. He got in the backfield a couple of times coming off the right edge with his hand in the dirt rather than as a stand-up edge rusher.

Linebacker Mohamoud Diabate - The times he really stood out to me was when he lined up outside as a stand-up edge rusher. When he got off on the snap, he was able to beat the left tackle a couple of times, but then a couple of times when Richard Gouriage got his hands on him, he was able to lock on to him and shut him down.

Linebacker Jesiah Pierre - He is just a tad bit shorter, but thicker than Diabate. Again, I didn't notice if he dropped into coverage, but the times I noticed him was when he lined up on the right edge, just outside the left tackle.

Cornerback Jaydon Hill - Despite coming off an ACL injury that cost him most of his senior season, he moved well during warm-ups, but didn't take part in all of the positional drills that I saw. He has the height, but he may need a year with Savage to put on some size and strength.

Cornerback Chris Steele - He already has the size to play as a freshman. Known as a physical corner, he showed that on opening day while everyone was in shorts. He had good coverage on the plays I focused in on him during 7v7, but can be a bit too 'handsy' at times - which is correctable. It is only one practice, but he lived up to his billing.
Eric-UF

Quote:

Quarterback Jalon Jones - He actually went third behind Feleipe Franks and Emory Jones, but ahead of Kyle Trask, in a lot of the positional drills. He was on and off. He had a couple of nice completions on air, but then missed some badly during one-on-one drills, including throwing at the feet of one target and well over the head of another, who despite going up as high as he could, barely touched the ball. It was about what you would expect out of a true freshman early enrollee during his very first practice.

Do you think the writing is on the wall for Trask?
---Go Gators!
Mark Wheeler
Staff
No. Trask went second in most of, if not all of the 7v7 and 11v11 drills. I don't know why he was going fourth during positional drills.
JawGator84
I think we all would be surprised if Trask is still on the team when fall camp starts
Dylan Rudolph
I saw somewhere James Houston took some snaps with the first-stringers. Is this true? How did he look?
Dan the Man
Do you see any of them playing and helping us this year?
KassidyHill
Staff
Dan the Man said:

Do you see any of them playing and helping us this year?
Chris Steele for sure. They'll use him so they can give Marco a breather and he'll be fine.
Page 1 of 1

Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.