Spring Observation: Opening practice offensive line showed potential

Mark Wheeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
With Florida losing four of five starters along the offensive line I figured the group would be manhandled early on, but that wasn't the case on Tuesday.

Actually, I thought they more than held their own overall.

The first two groups from left to right:

Stone Forsythe, Brett Heggie, Nick Buchanan, Chris Bleich, Jean Delance
Richard Gouraige, Nathan White, Kingsley Eguakun, TJ Moore, Michael Tarquin

I believe Noah Banks will take over as starting right tackle for Delance when he is healthy.

In my opinion, and anyone who has followed me over the years knows I am not a pie-in-the-sky type, Florida could actually be better along the line in 2019.

Forsythe, could be a Max Starks, Gilbert Brown type. Our anonymous player last year told us he just needs to develop more of a mean streak.

When healthy (which hasn't been often the last two years) Heggie has been one of Florida's better offensive linemen.

Those two could prove to be a significant upgrade on the left side. Then you have Buchanan with a year's worth of experience returning in the middle.

Bleich is one of the more impressive young linemen I have seen from a physical standpoint. It will be interesting to see how he performs when the pads go on.

Depending on what Banks/Delance can provide, right tackle may be the only position of the five that is a downgrade from what Jawaan Taylor offered last season.
JawGator84
Wait, what?? Florida could actually be better along the line in 2019...That definitely caught my attention and gives me hope and comfort lol
JayM
Thanks Mark. It's great to hear a reasonable person show optimism about our OL! We could have a nice season if we can run the ball!

It seems to happen often that the group called out as the clear weakness plays better than expected. I imagine the players don't want to be embarrassed. The coaches and media give it lots of attention. The rest of the team is counting on them. Maybe it's a little bit of the Hawthorne Effect at work.
Page 1 of 1

Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.