First negative take on the O&B Game

Mark Wheeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
First negative reaction to what seemed to me to be an overwhelmingly positive day for Florida football.

http://gridironnow.com/silly-gators-spring-game-gives-few-clues-about-team-in-2018/
KassidyHill
Staff
This was another

https://www.readandreaction.com/2018/04/15/define-happened-2018-florida-spring-game/
KassidyHill
Staff
It honestly baffles me. People spend the past seven years asking for something more fun and when the team goes out there and has fun during a spring game after 14 hard practices, people are pissed.

I mean I get that there's always going to be someone upset, but for the most part, come on guys. Yea there was some stuff during that game that we'll never see in the fall and there was stuff we'll see in the fall that Mullen isn't going to show in a spring game.

But they had fun and they're excited about summer and subsequently the fall. That's something that hasn't been true for a while.
APWilbur10
I think the people with negative takes from the spring game missed what Mullen was actually trying to accomplish, which in my mind, was two things...
1.) show players where they could go by introducing them to where Florida has been. Mullen wants former players to be real and recognizable to the current team. So much so that they feel a responsibility to those guys when they put on the orange and blue. He simultaneously wants former players to feel connected, welcomed back and a responsibility to the current players.
2.) show the current team that football can be fun. That's been missing for a few years.

On these fronts, Mullen hit it out of the park. I think In his mind, he is laying the foundation, which actually doesn't have a whole lot to do with x's and o's Just yet.
KassidyHill
Staff
100% agree
2blades
It`s really hard for me to feel good about much of anything on the field Saturday,the only thing that looked good was our running backs.It`s not easy judging this spring game but compare it to three other spring games I watched on TV this Saturday doesn`t leave me feeling to good about our team.Our O-Line did prove one thing and sadly to say it`s proven what I`ve been saying the last few years,UF has zero SEC talent on the O-LINE and I doubt better coaching and a greatly improve conditioning program will help much,UF has nothing to work with period.UF has a very long way to get good.
APWilbur10
I definitely think it is unrealistic to think that in 4 months the team would look totally different with the same talent. I think Mullen has improved morale, the strength program and has a long term plan, all things that are important for success. But anyone thinking Florida is going to compete for a title in a year is going to be sorely disappointed. In my opinion, o-line is the biggest crapshoot in recruiting. In high school, most olinemen are just the biggest guys on the team. Many teams don't even have coaches that know anything about good technique. There is a steep learning curve from hs to college at every position, but particularly OL. I think the trick is to way overrecruit the position, in hopes that some pan out. UF hasn't done that the past several years and very few olinemen have "panned out". That coupled with lots of injuries is a recipe for disaster.

It's going to be important for Gator fans to realize Rome wasn't built in a day. Unlike some transititions in the past, the cupboard really was pretty bare this time.
Vinny B
I don't know how you can't take the entire spring as a huge positive. Compare this program vs. where we were during the macdeaththreatgate saga, and no one with any real objectivity can say we're not headed in the right direction, and fast.

I think the Read and Reaction guy can't stand it because without stats (and the stats from this game are artificial), he can't write an article.

This team will return to prominence under Mullen, I have no doubt about that. As for the upcoming season, if the OL can be developed and have even just a decent season, we'll win 9-10 regular season games and the recruiting successes will take off.

JMHO.
Mark Wheeler
Staff
Other than the two former players catching the passes (which were fun and a nice shout-out to the former players) it was like any other spring game. Steve Spurrier used to make the defense play one coverage all game and not allow blitzing because he wanted to entertain - which means score points.

Urban Meyer's mantra was practice was hard, the games are supposed to be fun.

I went out at a little after 10 in order to attend the former players BBQ and then I was on the field and saw the reaction of the crowd, the former players, the current players, the coaches and support staff as well as the crowd, and I took it as an overwhelmingly positive day.

Keep in mind, as in year's past, they probably got more done in the closed scrimmages than they do during the actual spring game. I can see if this was a one and done type of thing, but the team went through 14 other practices, including a couple of scrimmages, countless tape sessions, coaching sessions, etc...

They put in their work over the spring, Saturday was for fun.
Bigg8tr
some people always need something to complain about....

They should worry about this after the Tenn game.....

Oh and I should have known it would be that asshat writing the article for gridiron now.

*****er got me banned on twitter... only showed them one of the 5 tweets.. that were part of my statement I made to him
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.