Is it time to reduce the size of the Swamp

Mark Wheeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Looking at the crowds the first two games and the fact that Florida said that there were 9,000 season ticket non-renewals this season, combined with the school giving away 1,500 tickets to Alachua County fifth graders and now hurricane evacuees, is it time to start thinking of reducing the seating capacity.

Enthusiasm should have been sky high entering the season with a new coach like Mullen and his proven track record, instead, there are way too many empty seats.

It isn't just a Florida thing.

Alabama, in the middle of one of the most successful runs in college football history, announced plans last month to reduce the size of their stadium.

As did OSU and FSU.

I can see UF going down a few thousand, which would increase the comfort of those remaining.
Zachary.Huber
Yes, I think it is better to have the stadium full then a few thousand empty seats. Stricklin has mentioned the idea of putting in chair backs to replace the bleachers. I welcome the idea personally. As he said, when he mentioned the idea it's way overdue because fans shouldn't have to sit on a piece of aluminum for four hours to watch a game.
KassidyHill
Staff
Those that want to come are putting a lot of time and money into it to do so. If they're not selling out, I'm all for making the stadium smaller to make it more comfortable for those there...this also comes from someone who has sat on those bleachers in the Swamp for way too many games trying to find room to breath haha
From the Swamp
If it adds 2 or 3 inches to each bleacher seat so we aren't packed in like sardines I would be all for that. Do something with the video boards too.
Eric-UF
Mark Wheeler said:

Alabama, in the middle of one of the most successful runs in college football history, announced plans last month to reduce the size of their stadium.

As did OSU and FSU.

I can see UF going down a few thousand, which would increase the comfort of those remaining.

I was under the impression that the reduction was not in the size of the stadiums (or size of new stadiums) but reducing the seating capacity in favor of more comfortable seats.

Florida's bench seating sucks! I think the estimate was about a 10% reduction in capacity if they switched to flip seats (which they need to do). The problem is, Alabama and Ohio State can do these things and still have a capacity in the 90's. Florida cannot do that as their max capacity is in the 88k range and this change would drop that to 78-79K.

So, in Florida's case, we may actually need to EXPAND the stadium while switching out the seating in order to maintain a capacity in the 85k range.
---Go Gators!
KassidyHill
Staff
Stricklin is currently talking about this on Twitter

Mark Wheeler
Staff
Eric-UF said:

Mark Wheeler said:

As did OSU and FSU.

I was under the impression that the reduction was not in the size of the stadiums (or size of new stadiums) but reducing the seating capacity in favor of more comfortable seats.

Florida's bench seating sucks! I think the estimate was about a 10% reduction in capacity if they switched to flip seats (which they need to do). The problem is, Alabama and Ohio State can do these things and still have a capacity in the 90's. Florida cannot do that as their max capacity is in the 88k range and this change would drop that to 78-79K.

So, in Florida's case, we may actually need to EXPAND the stadium while switching out the seating in order to maintain a capacity in the 85k range.

None of those three reduced their stadium size wise, they reduced seating capacity. Along those lines, by reducing the size of the Swamp, I mean reduce seating capacity, not actually tearing down portions of the already completed Swamp, which I would assume would cost a pretty penny.
Eric-UF
Quote:

None of those three reduced their stadium size wise, they reduced seating capacity. Along those lines, by reducing the size of the Swamp, I mean reduce seating capacity, not actually tearing down portions of the already completed Swamp, which I would assume would cost a pretty penny.
Right, but if they are going to change out the seats and (from what I have heard) add more "Luxary" seating (like more covered / box seating) they are going to really decrease the capacity....

...not sure the swamp will be rocking as load as normal if we are in the low 70k range...right?
---Go Gators!
GatorDMD
Eric-UF said:

Quote:

Right, but if they are going to change out the seats and (from what I have heard) add more "Luxary" seating (like more covered / box seating) they are going to really decrease the capacity....

...not sure the swamp will be rocking as load as normal if we are in the low 70k range...right?

That would be taking more then 10,000 from normal seating. That's too much.
Comountaingator
I think Stricklin mentioned that adding stadium seating would reduce capacity but improve the game day experience.
Eric-UF
Comountaingator said:

I think Stricklin mentioned that adding stadium seating would reduce capacity but improve the game day experience.

Definitely agree with that, just dont want to Swamp to fall under 85k capacity.
---Go Gators!
Mark Wheeler
Staff
Comountaingator said:

That is the trend nowadays.
Lduk2003
25 years ago my seat was much bigger...no wait now that I think about it maybe my ass is just bigger!
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.