I'm feeling a little less good about Mullen

Titletown
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm feeling a little less good about Mullen today. The loss was bad enough but him talking about what would have been different if we won because we would still have the sa.e problems.

What would be different is we would have a 32 game winning streak against Kentucky. We would be ranked. We wouldn't be a game back in the east.

He came off like Shannon did when he said the Miami loss to us would help them more than you ever know.

How many times did Spurrier or Meyer lose to Kentucky?
Comountaingator
Don't think you got his point. He wasn't excusing the loss at all. His point was that whether we had won or lost the problems with this team would be there and they need fixing to be a good team.
JawGator84
It was a loss to Kentucky and it seems like fans dont know how to handle it...That was the 2nd game of the Mullen era it was a loss and the sound of it you are already ready to make a change...Yeah it suckddnto lose,to Kentucky but there is no reason to go ahead and turn your back on Mullen or the team...Hang in there because i promise you Kentucky will not be the only loss this year..Take deep breathes move on from the loss and Go Gators
Eric-UF
I think you missed his point.

Getting a TD on that last drive would have been great, but you would still have to deal with the fact that your defense got man handled and gave up 300 yards, missed 20 tackles, and your secondary lost containment twice.

You would still have to deal with your offensive line not creating any push at all against an average Kentucky front.
---Go Gators!
dtaylo56
I get the loss sucks, but this isn't Mac or Champ. The roster has some serious issues and the team has the habits they developed from years of bad coaching. Both will take time to correct. Mullen is not a hack. He knows what he's doing, but he needs some time. I know none of us Gator fans want to be patient, but we don't have a choice in the matter imo at this point.
KassidyHill
Staff
I think this argument actually makes Mullen's point.
Graylon
Exactly he said when he started that he had to start from the ground up.. I think in his third recruiting class we will see a lot different. By then the players that he has chosen will be the upperclassmen and setting the tone and mentality of his team. The one thing that I do wish is that he would use Emory Jones and some packages. I know I still sound crazy but I would also like to see Trask. I think his accuracy and touch on the ball is a lot better than Franks. I get that everything wasn't Franks as fault the other night but to me it doesn't take much to Rattle him and once he gets rattled no telling what we going to get...
Gator5000e
Plus we had 10 points taken off the board by the officials. If they don't stop the play to review where Franks went out of bounds, we score a big TD and the entire tenor of the game changes. Fact is we are not good enough to overcome stuff like that yet. Hopefully we get there sooner than later.
Titletown
JawGator84 said:

It was a loss to Kentucky and it seems like fans dont know how to handle it...That was the 2nd game of the Mullen era it was a loss and the sound of it you are already ready to make a change...Yeah it suckddnto lose,to Kentucky but there is no reason to go ahead and turn your back on Mullen or the team...Hang in there because i promise you Kentucky will not be the only loss this year..Take deep breathes move on from the loss and Go Gators

I don't want a change. Where did you get that? I said I am not as high on him today as I was before the Kentucky game.

Are you?
Jolly Swag Man
Kirby Smart took over a 10-3 team and went 8-5 in his first season. Two of his loses were to Tennessee and Vandy.

Give it time.
JawGator84
My opinion on Mullen hasn't changed...We all know it wasnt going to be a perfect or a pretty season from the beginning (i know no one thought a loss to Kentucky would happen)...We just need to be try and be patient and let him do his things...yeah it may take 3 or 4 years to see his real product with his players
Verobeachgator
If we beat Col State, Tenn and MSU to be 4-1 when we play LSU we are on the right path.
Bd489
This team lost 8 games to finish the season last year. I can't imagine that was solely lack of effort, rather a lack of talent in places. Remove the Kentucky win last year as 2 of our touchdowns they forgot to cover a receiver and a brain fart by Tennessee when they had all the momentum and we lose 10 games. That's not something that can be turned around in one off season. It will take a few recruiting cycles to get out of this mess. All that being said, we've got a long road ahead of us but don't want to accept it. We want to be great again, it will probably be year 3. But with the early signing period, could mean the second full recruiting cycle is where we see the elite talent. This staff has to sell day one playing time to elite recruits or it's going to be a long few years until relevance. Mullen seems to be the guy to do it, we just need to be patient.
Graylon
I actually never thought about it this way how we could have lost 10 games last year. But that makes a lot of sense. People thought I was crazy when I said I see it's only winning at most 6 to 7 games.
Gatormoc
We beat UK and UT last year and then lost 8....that, I believe is Mullen's point. I am grappling with the fact that we may be the worst team in the east this year....even when I was at UF in the 70's, we weren't this bad.
However, I do believe Mullen will get us on the right track...it may take a recruiting class or two. Additionally, UK is not going away, and Stoops will have them playing tough -- another S Carolina and no longer a patsy. Can we out recruit, yes. But the face of the East is changing....interested in seeing what Pruit will do with UT. The more teams to beat up on UGA in the east, the better.
From the Swamp
Jolly Swag Man said:

Kirby Smart took over a 10-3 team and went 8-5 in his first season. Two of his loses were to Tennessee and Vandy.

Give it time.

I feel like I want to give Mullen a pass for this year if we lose to teams that are ranked higher than us. I don't know about getting a pass for losing to unranked teams that have less talent than us.
meghoagland
Intern
From the Swamp said:

Jolly Swag Man said:

Give it time.

I feel like I want to give Mullen a pass for this year if we lose to teams that are ranked higher than us. I don't know about getting a pass for losing to unranked teams that have less talent than us.

I think it's important to remember that these players still have to want it each and every game and it's not just Mullen who controls the game. He can coach all he wants but when these boys get in their own heads or when their hearts aren't in each and every play and they get lazy, that's when we have issues. I've been watching Gator football my whole life and this certainly wasn't the worst loss I've watched the Gators take. I think Mullen is still on the right track and should be given more time to mold the team rather than fans being impatient with the transition.
Jolly Swag Man
Installing new schemes and getting the right players on the field to do what you want isn't always something that can be done in year one. Just look at the recent coaching changes, even when you look at Urban and Saban.

This isn't the year to judge.
meghoagland
Intern
SORT14
You can only cook with the ingredients you have in the kitchen. Mullen will do fine. Look for him to be in the playoff hunt in year three.
EricN
We could have had Taggart...

BUT we passed on him!

Mullen is the right man at the right time.
Gatorhayes10
Mullen was the right hire. The talent is here to win, but the mindset of the players needs to change
dbcooper
UF should be favored against every opponent except MSU, LSU, USCe and UGA. If this team beats the teams it's supposed to beat and upsets one of those four, it would make a good transition year. When DM gets players who are prepared to compete for playing time from the time they set foot on campus to game time each Friday, we'll see the kind of team we remember. Hang on Gators, it's a marathon not a sprint.
Graylon
I couldn't have said this better myself... I feel like this will be a rough year for us with a lot of growing pains. But the kind of coach that Dan Mullen is he is going to take that and use it for fuel for the future. I'm really excited about the improvements we've made
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.