Florida's early 2022 running back room

766 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by camparker25
camparker25
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Intern
With the addition of UL transfer Montrell Johnson, here is an early look at the Gators' running back room for next year (Class year represents their 2022 class year and eligibility includes the free COVID year given in 2020):

Lorenzo Lingard (RS SR)
  • Two years of eligibility left + draft eligible
  • Career stats: 33 att, 211 yards, 2 touchdowns (mostly has played on special teams, TD total comes from his time at Miami)

Nay'Quan Wright (RS JR)
  • Three years of eligibility left + draft eligible
  • Career stats: 142 att, 563 yards, 3 touchdowns

Demarkcus Bowman (RS SO)
  • Three years of eligibility left (a non-COVID redshirt in 2020) + draft eligible after 2022 season
  • Career stats: 23 att, 113 yards

Montrell Johnson (So)
  • Three years of eligibility left (eligible immediately)
  • Career stats: 162 att, 838 yards, 12 touchdowns

Trevor Etienne (Fr)
  • Four years of eligibility left
  • Class of 2022 signee: Signed LOI, not enrolled yet
camparker25
Intern
We could see one of those above transfer. Nay'Quan Wright turned some heads this morning after two now-deleted tweets: https://insidethegators.com/forums/1/topics/15055
Bd489
This is great! I didn't know lingard had 2 years left. I saw wrights (alleged) reaction to the transfer. I've never gotten the feeling wright would be an every down back and expect bowman and Johnson to get the bulk of the carries. Read rumors over the years lingard lost a step from the injuries. Who do you see getting the bulk of the Carrie's? (Obviously an early time of the year for that question)
camparker25
Intern
Thanks! The eligibility includes this upcoming year, so Lingard could play in 2022 and 2023. The free COVID year makes a big impact. And that definitely could be the case. He also had a lot of issues with the previous coaching staff about playing time, but things could change with the new staff. As far as playing time goes (and this is based on Wright's tweets), Bowman and Johnson are probably the early favorites to get the most carries
iwollf74
Bowman has tape of what he can do. I don't see why he wouldn't be on the field in run 1st offense centered on RBs. He is an all purpose back.
camparker25
Intern
I would agree with that. Johnson has familiarity with Napiers offense, which puts him slightly ahead of the rest (as he doesn't have to learn a new offense), but it's hard to deny Bowman's athletic ability and talent.

This RB rotation is going to remind me a lot of the 2019 rotation: one main guy (Perine in 2019) with 1-2 backs behind him who can provide support (Pierce in 2019)
camparker25
Intern
2021 should have been that way with Pierce being the main guy with 1-2 guys behind him, not a 50/50 split.

But who knows? Napier very well could do that. There's a lot of talent in the room, Napier just has to use it correctly.
Lilgator
Wright is probably leaving.
camparker25
Intern
Highly likely. He was a contender for the starting spot, but the tweets (even though they are now deleted) doesn't help. Then again, he could very well come back.

I do expect one to transfer, just because that's how college football is today, but anything is on the table right now.

The big thing to keep an eye on is if Napier can somehow pull in Citizen as well. That would change a lot of things.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.