Do you think Billy is having a hard time finding coaches to hire

2,388 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by LizardLover4144
Go Gators TJ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm all in on Napier but I'm not going to pretend like I am happy with these coaches he is hiring.

The new TE coach has only been a coach for 2 years and has never coached TE before.

He worked for Napier at Louisiana. Besides that what is his draw?

Do you think that he is having a hard time getting the coaches he wants and these are the back up plans?

1bigg8rindade
You're not going to tell me that this is an upgrade over Brewster.

Save your voice because all you'll be telling me is you are a fan but you don't know football.
Mark Wheeler
Staff
I would say to wait until the staff is fully in place before judging it.
Mark Wheeler
Staff
Romeg8r
I trust him to hire the right mix of people he knows and trusts. Don't tell me how good Brewster is. Our TEs were horrendous this year.
TJWarren
I do not think that at all. I'm happy he is taking his time.
dtaylo56
Napier isn't hiring people on a whim because he knows them. Take a look at all his hires: they are all in their thirties and forties, young up and coming type coaches. The oldest person he has hired is Raymond, who I think is 45 or so, and the only person among the rumored coaches they are still targeting that doesn't fit that profile exactly is Rumph. He obviously has a type of coach he is looking for and Brewster isn't it.

Yes, he is hiring people he has a prior relationship with. But he is not merely hiring people he'd worked with for a long time like Hevesy and Knox. He's hired three coaches from power 5 programs (LSU, USC, and Michigan St.). Colbert, Toney, Peagler are all considered up and coming coaches. The only person who Mullen brought with him from MSU that fit that description was Brian Johnson. You can see how well he did, and apparently Napier wants a whole staff full of coaches of like that. It may or may not work, but time will tell.
pilotrob
Is it just me or is this a ridiculous thread. Billy is hiring an amazing staff of young exciting coaches all who want to recruit. No one on their previous staff is happy to see them leave. He is also getting coaches who have worked in other successful programs. Which hire disappoints you so much?
1bigg8rindade
Romeg8r said:

I trust him to hire the right mix of people he knows and trusts. Don't tell me how good Brewster is. Our TEs were horrendous this year.
I like Napier being hired and I think he is going to be good for our football team but that doesn't mean he has the golden touch and everything he does is perfect.

This guy isn't better than Brewster.

gator rising
Knight is tossing around $$$$ is why these coaches are going to Oregon instead of to us.
MKA
Lupoi is going to Oregon as DC, he was a great recruiter but only lasted a year as Bama's DC. Karl Scott is mentioned as our hire for Co DC, check out his list of recruits, he appears to be a great recruiter. Looks as good as Lupoi with less potential baggage.
EricN
Mark Wheeler said:

Hey Mark - don't you see CBN already doing a much better job at dealing with the reporters than the previous administrations. I mean he is already laying the expectations very low and for patience (vs we will win championships immediately or I could teach my dog to QB).
CBN is using the timing of his PRs masterfully and he is controlling the narrative. Also I've seen and heard certain people are getting scoops on info which is building a very symbiotic relationship with the reporters/reporting.

Don't you see this little tweet from Feldman as fitting into CBN's narrative?

I mean why bite the hand that feeds you? Right??
1bigg8rindade
Yeah he is having trouble. Scott probably said no so Napier went to Peterson for plan b.
RegGator
Alabama wants Scott back. If you had a choice between us or them and you didn't have any ties to Florida any sane person would pick Alabama.
UFChad14
When are the rest of the ciaches being hired si they can start recruiting before signing day?
LizardLover4144
From the information I've gathered on other Gator related boards, CBN could've possibly locked down Scott, but he can't announce til next week. Sale also. Both the Giants and Vikings seasons will end Sunday. He won't be able to announce Henderson (DL) until the Rams are finished with the playoffs. That should complete the current coaching staff for Gator football.
Titletown
I will be worried about it if they don't put it out there that they have hired the rest of the staff by tonight or tomorrow.

If all these deals are in place there's no reason to keep waiting around.
LizardLover4144
Sale possibly announced on Tuesday, Scott on Thursday. Waiting for Henderson to complete a playoff run with the Rams.
1bigg8rindade
LizardLover4144 said:

Sale possibly announced on Tuesday, Scott on Thursday. Waiting for Henderson to complete a playoff run with the Rams.

Scott said no.

Sieder said no.

Lupoi said no.

Yeah Napier is having trouble filling out the assistant staff.
SFFLORIDAFAN
You know he is or we would have a full coaching staff for the recruiting this weekend.
Termigator
What we need is a coach with a personality like Saban to tell all of you armchair QBs to STFU! Billy is going to be just fine. Go Gators.
Termigator
Romeg8r
1bigg8rindade said:

Romeg8r said:

I like Napier being hired and I think he is going to be good for our football team but that doesn't mean he has the golden touch and everything he does is perfect.

This guy isn't better than Brewster.

Where is the evidence of how good Brewster was?
Verobeachgator
Mark Wheeler said:

I would say to wait until the staff is fully in place before judging it.
It's over. All of them have been hired. How do you judge it?

I don't think the last 3 were coaches he wanted but they are who he had to take when the ones he wanted said no.
Termigator
So what did Brewster do? What recruits did he bring in since he was supposed to be an all-star recruiter? Anyone could have been the Tight ends coach when Pitts was here and he still would have been drafted in the 1st round. Brewster was just like Mullen; a lazy ass. You are the one who sounds more like a fan. It's good Napier doesn't listen to want-to be's like you.
Termigator
LizardLover4144
Sometimes you have to have a plan that takes another route when unforeseen things occur. Such is the case with CBN hiring his coaching staff. Scott and Rumph both were possibilities on the defensive staff; however, both wanted to remain in the NFL. As we all know, Lupoi took the Oregon job as the DC for Dan Lanning. He and his wife are both from the west coast so her wanting to return there was a major factor in the decision. I really don't think he would have come to UF due to those circumstances. As for Henderson, I have read that he will possibly get a new contract or will be pursued by other NFL teams. Anyone who watched the Rams and Cardinals could see that his defensive front played like their hair was on fire. I'm not a Rams fan, but it was rather impressive and Henderson is a rising star as an NFL coach. He'll get a new contract or hire on with a team willing to pay much more for his services. No controlling that. I'll trust that CBN has hired the best available coaches that he could hire considering the short amount of time that he's had and that the Gator Army that he is assembling will do everything in their power to propel the program back to where it belongs. Will there be "growing pains" or "hiccups"? It'll be a given, but we have to trust that he knows how to handle it and will always do what's best for the program going forward. Many coaches are of the belief that UF is the place and program that CBN has had his "eyes" on for quite a while. It just so happened to be that NOW is the right time.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.