You won't see Mullen out scouting targets tonight

2,476 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by EricN
Mark Wheeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Last Friday evening Florida State head coach Mike Norvell made waves on social media when he arrived to watch Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) St. Thomas Aquinas' game.

Tonight, you'll see similar social media action as other head coaches, such as Kirby Smart going to see Arch Manning, hit the road.

What you won't see is Dan Mullen scouting prospects at a game tonight.

Inside the Gators has been informed that as part of the one-year show-cause penalty handed down by the NCAA for recruiting violations two cycles ago, Mullen is prohibited from being on the road.

For Florida's head coach, the penalty was twofold, he was banned from off-campus recruiting for an entire cycle, and also for a four-day ban in the next cycle.

For now, since coaches can't actually speak with prospects when they see them, it's more symbolic than anything. Top targets, their coaches, and fans in the stands get to see that they are a priority.

However, in two-weeks, when the contact period begins, it becomes more problematic if other head coaches are able to make in-home visits with top targets, while Mullen is unable to do the same.

Because of Covid-19 restrictions during the last cycle, is he now serving the full cycle this time around and then the four-day ban in the 2022 cycle?

Also, as part of the penalty, the entire staff was banned from off-campus recruiting this past spring. However, since there was no spring evaluation period this year, will that penalty have to be served next spring?
From the Swamp
Did you stop to consider that maybe this is good news?

Mullen doesn't do a good job recruiting anyway. He might have hurt us more than he helped us.

Our assistant coaches can go out and do their thing while Mullen gets in one last weekend at the lake.
OrangeandBlue
I'm not trying to defend coach because we should try to play by the rules but how is he being punished for visiting a recruit while the LSU basketball coach is on tape talking about making a cash offer to a recruit and walking around scott free?
cyclogator
And the MuLLLen hits just keep coming.

Repeat after me.

He. Aint. Worth. 7.6 Million. Dollars.
1bigg8rindade
cyclogator said:

Repeat after me.

Why?

This is the best thing I've read about him.

At least he's trying. He just has to be smart enough not to get caught.

Don't you think all these other teams are doing the same thing? The only thing is they're SMART about it if you get my meaning.

So if he can't be out on the road he needs assembly of his coaches and a briefcase full if money to see Nilen and Stewart.
cyclogator
1bigg8rindade said:

cyclogator said:

Repeat after me.

Why?

Don't you think all these other teams are doing the same thing? The only thing is they're SMART about it if you get my meaning.

So if he can't be out on the road he needs assembly of his coaches and a briefcase full if money to see Nilen and Stewart.
Do you even know the situation that caused this? Its nothing like your imagination is taking you to. It was in a state that couldn't get any further away from Florida for a player that wasn't ever going to sign with us. The only good thing that came out of it was it force MuLLLen to have to fire one of his buddies but the rumor his he refused and Stricklin did it for him.
Bd489
Hurts bad with grantham being on borrowed time.
cyclogator
It hurts real bad.
1bigg8rindade
cyclogator said:

1bigg8rindade said:

cyclogator said:

Repeat after me.

Why?

Do you even know the situation that caused this? Its nothing like your imagination is taking you to. It was in a state that couldn't get any further away from Florida for a player that wasn't ever going to sign with us. The only good thing that came out of it was it force MuLLLen to have to fire one of his buddies but the rumor his he refused and Stricklin did it for him.
I know what happened. It was with the recruit Scott that signed with Ohio State and a few teams besides us got in trouble.

I still say I am happy to see us doing whatever it takes to get top recruits.

Everyone does it it's about time we got off our asses and took some chances.

I talk crap about Mullen not being able to recruit worth a damn all the time but I back him up on this.
SFFLORIDAFAN
I'm being up front about it being straight with yourself would it really matter?

We are going to sign a class in the 12 to 15 range no matter if Mullen can visit them or not.
cyclogator
SFFLORIDAFAN said:

I'm being up front about it being straight with yourself would it really matter?

We are going to sign a class in the 12 to 15 range no matter if Mullen can visit them or not.
Lol...12 to 15 is looking like a pipe dream now.
EricN
Hey Mark - is it your understanding that the penalty phase was extended? Or just never implemented last year?
Mark Wheeler
Staff
EricN said:

Hey Mark - is it your understanding that the penalty phase was extended? Or just never implemented last year?
There was no off-campus recruiting allowed last year because of Covid-19, thus the penalty has to be served this cycle.
Bulldog1987
From the Swamp said:

Did you stop to consider that maybe this is good news?

Mullen doesn't do a good job recruiting anyway. He might have hurt us more than he helped us.

Our assistant coaches can go out and do their thing while Mullen gets in one last weekend at the lake.
your ignorance is bliss
Bulldog1987
Our forum fans suck as bad as our DC
EricN
Mark Wheeler said:

EricN said:

There was no off-campus recruiting allowed last year because of Covid-19, thus the penalty has to be served this cycle.

Ok that's what I thought - so while everyone criticizes CDM for not being on the recruiting trail, he cannot be out there right now
Romeg8r
I don't think Mullen wants to be at Florida anymore. After losing to LSU and the the SECCG he checked out. He made no effort to prepare for the bowl game. He tried like hell to get an NFL job during the offseason but his lackluster performance down the stretch killed that. He looks like he doesn't care this year and the team reflects that on the field. He is making no effort in recruiting. I'm not convinced he isn't trying to get fired and get the payout.
Bd489
Maybe he thinks about going after the penn state job if Franklin is hired by either usc or lsu. He's from Pennsylvania. Reset the clock on the pressure.
Romeg8r
You would think he would want to look better to Penn State than this. And if he can't recruit at Florida it will be even worse there. Maybe he wants to go be Urban's OC
cyclogator
1bigg8rindade said:

cyclogator said:

1bigg8rindade said:

cyclogator said:

Repeat after me.

Why?

I know what happened. It was with the recruit Scott that signed with Ohio State and a few teams besides us got in trouble.

I still say I am happy to see us doing whatever it takes to get top recruits.

Everyone does it it's about time we got off our asses and took some chances.

I talk crap about Mullen not being able to recruit worth a damn all the time but I back him up on this.
Obviously, you don't know what happened. It was Sav'ell Smalls not Scott. It was a stupid move on Mullen's part that is in no way at all some sort of savvy move you seem to want to make it out to be. It was stupid. The only thing more stupid than Mullen stalking a high school coach and player in the state of Washington during a dead period is a fan trying to portray it like recruiting prowess that should make us happy. That is just not anything near reality at all.
cyclogator
EricN said:

Mark Wheeler said:

EricN said:

Ok that's what I thought - so while everyone criticizes CDM for not being on the recruiting trail, he cannot be out there right now
And he cannot be out there right now because he did something really stupid in 2019. So, we should be criticizing him for not being able to be out there.
EricN
cyclogator said:

EricN said:

Mark Wheeler said:

EricN said:

And he cannot be out there right now because he did something really stupid in 2019. So, we should be criticizing him for not being able to be out there.
100% for "not being ABLE to be out there"
the $7.5mm stop there!

but you cannot conflate the penalties any other way
Mark Wheeler
Staff
One hell of a dodge on the question about coaches being out on the road.
EricN
Mark Wheeler said:

One hell of a dodge on the question about coaches being out on the road.

I saw that
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.