New dc question

1,015 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by EricN
Bd489
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Assuming we're going to hire a new dc and staff, what is the earliest we could announce it? With early signing day, want to keep as many defensive prospects as possible!
Lilgator
We better not be keeping coaches around so we can keep together our #18 ranked class.

If we were in the top 5 I can see maybe keeping coaches on the staff to help keep recruits in line but we don't have any recruits worth keeping a bad coach for.
Bd489
I'm not saying keep them, I'm saying fire them early to announce new coaches and keep Humphrey etc while maybe being able to get a few others.
EricN
Bring over Charlie Strong or Mus to be the DC
Keep Turner and McGriff
Try to get TRob from um
cyclogator
Who cares. Nothing is going to change with a new defensive coordinator. Grantham is only part of the problem and replacing him doesn't fix the real problem. Mullen is still going to Mullen. Wait till EJ trots out on the field as a starter against UGA.
EricN
cyclogator said:

Who cares. Nothing is going to change with a new defensive coordinator. Grantham is only part of the problem and replacing him doesn't fix the real problem. Mullen is still going to Mullen. Wait till EJ trots out on the field as a starter against UGA.
so you dont think we have been doing well offensively?
cyclogator
EricN said:

cyclogator said:

Do you? Because I don't think its nothing worth keeping Mullen for anymore. I think a lot of people think Mullen is much better than he really is because our offense was such garbage for the previous 8 years when he showed up. He won't fire under performing coaches so we are stuck with coaches like Hev, Knox and Billy. His offense is one that will never attract top skilled recruits because it is pretty much just QB left or QB right. His development of QBs is way overrated. His rule of seniority over talent is obvious. His recruiting is lacking.

Do you really think our issue is just changing Grantham and company? Mullen is going to keep on Mullening. Do you think he would fire Grantham if the problem hadn't finally reached a boiling point? Do you even think he will fire Grantham? I don't just like I don't expect AR to start nor recruiting get better nor other coaches that aint doing a good job get replaced. All a change out of Grantham will bring is us getting to 9-3 and 10-2 vs the 8-4 and 7-5 we are being forced to eat.

I think we could be doing a whole lot better on the offensive side of the ball, don't you? Loved all those false starts, the well developed Mullen QB in year 4 of development and all those awesome blocking WRs we got.
Graylon
Don't forget the awesome right tackle the call Jean Delance... lol

I totally agree... the people that say I'm not saying fire Mullen but fire Grantham yeah. They don't realize they sound just like Mullen when he kept Grantham but Grantham had to fire his secondary coaches. It's no different
cyclogator
See below. This is one of the biggest problems with Mullen:

cyclogator
Graylon said:

I totally agree... the people that say I'm not saying fire Mullen but fire Grantham yeah. They don't realize they sound just like Mullen when he kept Grantham but Grantham had to fire his secondary coaches. It's no different
Mullen refused to fire English and he would still be here if it wasn't for Stricklin firing him due to the recruiting violation.

Gray left and wasn't fired.
EricN
cyclogator said:

EricN said:

cyclogator said:

Do you? Because I don't think its nothing worth keeping Mullen for anymore. I think a lot of people think Mullen is much better than he really is because our offense was such garbage for the previous 8 years when he showed up. He won't fire under performing coaches so we are stuck with coaches like Hev, Knox and Billy. His offense is one that will never attract top skilled recruits because it is pretty much just QB left or QB right. His development of QBs is way overrated. His rule of seniority over talent is obvious. His recruiting is lacking.

Do you really think our issue is just changing Grantham and company? Mullen is going to keep on Mullening. Do you think he would fire Grantham if the problem hadn't finally reached a boiling point? Do you even think he will fire Grantham? I don't just like I don't expect AR to start nor recruiting get better nor other coaches that aint doing a good job get replaced. All a change out of Grantham will bring is us getting to 9-3 and 10-2 vs the 8-4 and 7-5 we are being forced to eat.

I think we could be doing a whole lot better on the offensive side of the ball, don't you? Loved all those false starts, the well developed Mullen QB in year 4 of development and all those awesome blocking WRs we got.
Lots of emotion there without a lot of thought -
Offensively speaking, you dont think that a top 10 offense 2 years in a row is acceptable? With the turnover that we had? (Real quick you do know who got drafted in rounds 1-2 from our offense right?) So, everyone thought (including myself) there would be some huge dropoff in offensive production this year - but there wasnt. Do you know of any offensive statistics that would support your claim that our offense is doing bad?

BTW, BillyG is our best recruiter - but you want him fired?
The problem is NOT on the offensive side of the ball.
EricN
cyclogator said:

Graylon said:

Mullen refused to fire English and he would still be here if it wasn't for Stricklin firing him due to the recruiting violation.

BTW Gray was terminated
if he wasnt terminated we would have Sam McCall & Jaheim Singletary committed to us right now.
those are the facts.
Bd489
Be nice to have those 2 5 stars in the commitment list.
Ssweat
Exactly this..makes no sense to say we need a better offense . Yes Mullen is part of the problem but we are a good defense away right now. Amazing how we forget what it was like to barely score 24 points in a game
cyclogator
EricN said:

cyclogator said:

EricN said:

cyclogator said:

Lots of emotion there without a lot of thought -
Offensively speaking, you dont think that a top 10 offense 2 years in a row is acceptable? With the turnover that we had? (Real quick you do know who got drafted in rounds 1-2 from our offense right?) So, everyone thought (including myself) there would be some huge dropoff in offensive production this year - but there wasnt. Do you know of any offensive statistics that would support your claim that our offense is doing bad?

BTW, BillyG is our best recruiter - but you want him fired?
The problem is NOT on the offensive side of the ball.

The problem is Mullen. You guys are hilarious. We have 9 years of experience of him before getting to UF and going on 4 years of him at UF. It is all the same crap in those 13 years yet people still think all we need is a new everything except Mullen. The excuses just keep coming and they are all a bunch of empty excuses that even mimic Mullen's way of thinking:

We are on the brink of being 4-4 in October and you guys clutch to the whole top 10 offense stat. Its like echos of Mullen answering with the total yards and time of possession stat after getting out coached by Mark Brooks. All we get from Mullen are moral victories and that is all we will continue to get because his recruiting sucks, he is more interested in keeping friends on the staff than results, seniority trumps talent and so on. Oh yeah...Grantham is our only problem.

The excuses just keep coming don't they. Can't wait to hear your excuse on national signing day as well. I know...I know...we have to keep waiting until we can bring that up. I am sure there are a bunch of super secret commits waiting to sign again this coming national signing day.

Yeah...offense is NOT the problem...its just every single thing except offense. Well, except how he develops QBs. Except the talent being recruited. Forget about those games where our 3 year system QB threw all those interceptions. Forget about the end of half management issues. Forget about the horrible redzone offense. Other than all that, offense is awesome.

cyclogator
EricN said:

cyclogator said:

Graylon said:

BTW Gray was terminated
if he wasnt terminated we would have Sam McCall & Jaheim Singletary committed to us right now.
those are the facts.
Ok...lets walk this dog. Why was Gray fired?
EricN
cyclogator said:

EricN said:

cyclogator said:

Graylon said:

BTW Gray was terminated
those are the facts.

You think to know something that you really don't. I guarantee that you have NO actual information on the Gray situation
I don't agree with the way Gray was shown the door
He is a good coach and recruiter.
cyclogator
EricN said:

cyclogator said:

EricN said:

cyclogator said:

Graylon said:

BTW Gray was terminated
those are the facts.

You think to know something that you really don't. I guarantee that you have NO actual information on the Gray situation

Wait...Gray is a good coach and recruiter but was fired by Mullen in a way you don't approve. You obviously know way more than I do about this so why don't you tell all. Now I would like to know how he was shown the door as well as why. Waiting for you to answer the questions.
EricN
Long on words - but you should realize

Facts
In 2020 we are ranked 9th in offense 508 yards per game
In 2021 we are ranked 9th in offense 501 yards per game

Did you anticipate that our offense would replicate this performance? No. Well I didn't. Who out there went on the record to state that we would match last years numbers?? No one.

Also Everyone expected an 8-4 record - well ooooookkkkaaaay

So everyone expected a mediocre year - and upset when we got it.

Remember that Everyone hated CDM and wanted EJ5 to start over Trask and we had a special season
Now everyone hates CDM to start AR15 over EJ5. CDM is going to develop AR15 into something special. Everyone wants it now. Remember the Franks & EJ scenario?

Fact is that CDM has a very good grasp on the offense and he is doing a good job. BillyG is doing a good job. Hevasy is doing a good job. Yeah - Hevasy. Where are all the bashing of Hevasy - he silenced the critics. Our offense will only be better next year.

What we do know is - You hate Mullen - have you ever met him?
Honestly people are going to hate on CDM no matter what. That's our fan base. I remember people hated on Spurrier and then Urban. It's part of the job.

What I can definitively tell you is that the the offense is not the issue here -
EricN
cyclogator said:

EricN said:

cyclogator said:

EricN said:

cyclogator said:

Graylon said:

BTW Gray was terminated
those are the facts.

Wait...Gray is a good coach and recruiter but was fired by Mullen in a way you don't approve. You obviously know way more than I do about this so why don't you tell all. Now I would like to know how he was shown the door as well as why. Waiting for you to answer the questions.

You said he quit. Admit that you were wrong and have no idea what happened-

I don't make those decisions otherwise Seider would be coaching our RBs

Facts are that I have stated here that Gray would out-recruit us at usc and he is - so far
cyclogator
EricN said:

cyclogator said:

EricN said:

cyclogator said:

EricN said:

cyclogator said:

Graylon said:

BTW Gray was terminated
those are the facts.

Facts are that I have stated here that Gray would out-recruit us at usc and he is - so far
Still waiting for the answer to the question. Why and how was Gray fired? Especially since he is such a great coach and recruiter.
cyclogator
EricN said:

Facts

Did you anticipate that our offense would replicate this performance? No. Well I didn't. Who out there went on the record to state that we would match last years numbers?? No one.

Remember that Everyone hated CDM and wanted EJ5 to start over Trask and we had a special season
Now everyone hates CDM to start AR15 over EJ5. CDM is going to develop AR15 into something special. Everyone wants it now. Remember the Franks & EJ scenario?

Fact is that CDM has a very good grasp on the offense and he is doing a good job. BillyG is doing a good job. Hevasy is doing a good job. Yeah - Hevasy. Where are all the bashing of Hevasy - he silenced the critics. Our offense will only be better next year.

Honestly people are going to hate on CDM no matter what. That's our fan base. I remember people hated on Spurrier and then Urban. It's part of the job.

What I can definitively tell you is that the the offense is not the issue here -
Good Lord look at all the excuses for Mullen you list after bragging about how many yards we gained in 2020 and 2021.

Also have to laugh at the admission that we are now having a down year. Poor MuLLLen, he is just having a down year that all the fans just need to accept.

Why are we having a down year in his 4th year? Let me give you a hint. You obviously love you some Hevesy but tell me how his recruiting of OL is looking this year.

I will be waiting for this answer as well.
Romeg8r
EricN said:

Keep Turner and McGriff
Try to get TRob from um

The story about Muschamp being a great DC is pure myth.
EricN
cyclogator said:

EricN said:

cyclogator said:

EricN said:

cyclogator said:

EricN said:

cyclogator said:

Graylon said:

BTW Gray was terminated
those are the facts.

Still waiting for the answer to the question. Why and how was Gray fired? Especially since he is such a great coach and recruiter.

You haven't admitted that you have zero knowledge of the situation while stating otherwise-
do you really think that his replacement was an upgrade?
Do you think there is a reason why TRob didn't take the job?
cyclogator
EricN said:

cyclogator said:

EricN said:

cyclogator said:

EricN said:

cyclogator said:

Graylon said:

BTW Gray was terminated
those are the facts.

And this little gem right here. Im not a fan of Knox either but I thought there was nothing wrong with our offense and the only thing that needs to happen is dump Grantham. OFFENSE IS NOT THE PROBLEM. Geesh...at least Knox has several 5 stars under his tutelage and the RBs actually look good.

But why is Knox still here and Seider not retained? MuLLLen does no wrong on the offensive side of the ball so you are contradicting yourself.
EricN
Romeg8r said:

EricN said:

Keep Turner and McGriff
Try to get TRob from um

The story about Muschamp being a great DC is pure myth.

Yea maybe but he would surely upgrade our talent.
cyclogator
EricN said:

cyclogator said:

EricN said:

cyclogator said:

EricN said:

cyclogator said:

EricN said:

cyclogator said:

Graylon said:

BTW Gray was terminated
those are the facts.

You haven't admitted that you have zero knowledge of the situation while stating otherwise-
But why and how was Gray fired? Still waiting since you know.
EricN
cyclogator said:

EricN said:

cyclogator said:

EricN said:

cyclogator said:

EricN said:

cyclogator said:

Graylon said:

BTW Gray was terminated
those are the facts.

And this little gem right here. Im not a fan of Knox either but I thought there was nothing wrong with our offense and the only thing that needs to happen is dump Grantham. OFFENSE IS NOT THE PROBLEM. Geesh...at least Knox has several 5 stars under his tutelage and the RBs actually look good.

But why is Knox still here and Seider not retained? MuLLLen does no wrong on the offensive side of the ball so you are contradicting yourself.

Not at all buddy boy - Knox is a decent coach but adds little to recruiting. There was an issue with Seider but I am not privy to what happened. What I do know for a fact is that Pierce would not have signed if Seider wasn't here at NSD. Regardless, Knox does not call the plays CDM does. No problem at all with the O
EricN
cyclogator said:

EricN said:

Facts

Good Lord look at all the excuses for Mullen you list after bragging about how many yards we gained in 2020 and 2021.

Also have to laugh at the admission that we are now having a down year. Poor MuLLLen, he is just having a down year that all the fans just need to accept.

Why are we having a down year in his 4th year? Let me give you a hint. You obviously love you some Hevesy but tell me how his recruiting of OL is looking this year.

No excuses as that is not what I conveyed - facts and you have not rebutted a single fact I laid out.

Other than BillyG recruiting has been subpar

I am personally disappointed as I was expecting a better record but I was in the minority.
cyclogator
EricN said:

cyclogator said:

EricN said:

Facts

No excuses as that is not what I conveyed - facts and you have not rebutted a single fact I laid out.

Other than BillyG recruiting has been subpar

I am personally disappointed as I was expecting a better record but I was in the minority.
But you seem to think the only problem is Grantham. Our recruiting is the prime reason we are in the position we are in. At best, MuLLLen in a good year means 10-2 with the norm probably being around 9-3 but those pesky 8-4 years sure seem like the norm now.

But yeah...all we got to do is get rid of Grantham because thats the only thing wrong with MuLLLen. Except all those other things you seem to just brush aside.

LOL...you proclaim that Muschamp being a great DC is just a myth while arguing the use of every stat under the sun except winning for MuLLLen being a great offensive mind. Sure. Whatever...just a bunch of excuses.
cyclogator
EricN said:

cyclogator said:

EricN said:

cyclogator said:

EricN said:

cyclogator said:

EricN said:

cyclogator said:

Graylon said:

BTW Gray was terminated
those are the facts.

Not at all buddy boy - Knox is a decent coach but adds little to recruiting. There was an issue with Seider but I am not privy to what happened. What I do know for a fact is that Pierce would not have signed if Seider wasn't here at NSD. Regardless, Knox does not call the plays CDM does. No problem at all with the O
Yeah...no problem at all with the O...except the coaches under MuLLLen. Nothing but excuses.
cyclogator
cyclogator said:

EricN said:

cyclogator said:

EricN said:

cyclogator said:

EricN said:

cyclogator said:

EricN said:

cyclogator said:

Graylon said:

BTW Gray was terminated
those are the facts.

But why and how was Gray fired? Still waiting since you know.

Bd489
Well this got out of hand and I still don't know the answer to my initial question of how early can we announce a new dc? With mullens aggressive penalty he can't recruit off campus, he can't meet with defensive prospects in home to assure them of any plans. That could hurt with everyone knowing grantham is gone (please Jesus)
cyclogator
Bd489 said:

Well this got out of hand and I still don't know the answer to my initial question of how early can we announce a new dc? With mullens aggressive penalty he can't recruit off campus, he can't meet with defensive prospects in home to assure them of any plans. That could hurt with everyone knowing grantham is gone (please Jesus)
MuLLLen isn't going to fire anyone. Remember MuLLLen is the guy who fought hard to get Grantham extended so the NFL wouldn't poach him away from us. Grantham gets 2M a year thanks to that. MuLLLen has said many times that Grantham is one of the best DCs in the country. So your question was already answered and it was MuLLLen who said there would be no staff changes made until after the season.

BTW...remember a year ago when any complaint about Grantham was met with statistics supporting how great 2018 and 2019 Grantham was and it was just Covid. Now its Grantham is the problem and the only problem but MuLLLen is in no way any part of the problem.
Bd489
Will you increase the number of L's if we lose to Georgia? Mullen is arrogant but even he isn't keeping grantham. I wonder if Miami bounces Diaz they reunite.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.