Will the outcome Saturday change your opinion on Mullen?

668 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by 1bigg8rindade
From the Swamp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If we win we'll all be ready to put a statue out in front of the stadium of Mullen.

If we win he's set.

If we lose does that change how you feel about him?

Does it mean that he's probably a coach we can be good with but we're not going to ever be great?
Romeg8r
Are we supposed to win? News flash, nobody has been beating Alabama. If we get blown off the field I might be concerned but I certainly wouldn't lower my opinion of Mullen with a competitive loss to Alabama.
From the Swamp
That's our new standard to keep losses competitively close with Alabama?
Swamp_Thing
One game is not going to change my opinion of him either way. He's 2-6 vs the other top 4 coaches in the SEC. When his record vs the top 25, the other top coaches in the SEC, and against teams more talented than UF starts to move towards a positive winning percentage I'll be impressed. Or if he wins a NC.
Mark Wheeler
Staff
As of today, Mullen is 6-6 at UF against the AP top 25. He is 2-6 against SEC programs (UGA, LSU, Bama, and TA&M) that regularly out recruit Florida. If you start to include Oklahoma, make it 2-7.
cyclogator
Mullen is not this genius that takes a bunch of 3* players and beats teams loaded with 4-5*. Mullen is exactly who he recruits and the coaches he has on his staff. He loses to teams with more talent and wins against teams with less talent than him. Its not a mystery. I think he has peaked and what we have is what we are going to continue to have going forward unless we improve our recruiting and dump dead weight on the staff while replacing them with upgrades (Jules isn't looking too good so far btw).

So what happens this weekend is just one game and won't change my opinion. Its year 4, these are his players and his coaches so there are no more excuses.

I will say this though, I think there is a lot to be said about continuity. If you can get the right staff of coaches to stick around and develop relationships in state then maybe they can get things going eventually. I think there is a some of this going on with the O side of the ball but the D side probably needs an overhaul. Turner is probably a keeper imo (maybe CRob?).
Swamp_Thing
Mark Wheeler said:

As of today, Mullen is 6-6 at UF against the AP top 25. He is 2-6 against SEC programs (UGA, LSU, Bama, and TA&M) that regularly out recruit Florida. If you start to include Oklahoma, make it 2-7.

Stop stealing my material Mark!
Romeg8r
From the Swamp said:

That's our new standard to keep losses competitively close with Alabama?

Dude at this point that is everyone's standard until someone knocks them off the mountaintop. But if you are going to want Mullen out for a close loss to Alabama there isn't a coach out there you are going to want.
Ssweat
Exactly this! Who else do you want? If my recent memory serves me correctly Nick Saban has lost to 5 coaches since 2015. Those coaches are Malzahn, Ed O, Freeze, Dabo, and Urban. Only 2 of those coaches are what i consider as good as Saban in Urban and Dabo. The rest needed major luck and a great QB to win. Be careful what you wish for when comparing your coach to Saban.
1bigg8rindade
If we beat Alabama after they out recruited us all these years I'll stop complaining about Mullen's recruiting.
outofsight
1bigg8rindade said:

If we beat Alabama after they out recruited us all these years I'll stop complaining about Mullen's recruiting.

No you won't.
Fun & Gun
I still feel the same way. He's a damn good coach but we stull got to recruit better to beat Alabama.
1bigg8rindade
We got to recruit better but everyone should feel better about Mullen as a coach after that game.

If we can sign a couple of more top recruits each year Mullen will have us playing for titles.

We aren't that far off but we can only get there with better players and that means getting better recruits.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.